• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Wetherspoons large breakfast

Well, what can I say.

The ingredients were all there as per the spec but most of it had shrunk.

Firstly honourable exemptions for: sausages and hash browns.  Though by contrast they may have looked huge I think they have just stayed the same.

Now the horrors:

Eggs - how small, are these from special dwarf chickens?

Baked beans - well the individual beans were no smaller but they were so few I could count them. Twenty three.

Bacon - two tiny strips hiding under the bread; so small I initially thought they weren't there.

Mushroom - halved in size

Tomato - how small?

And to add insult to injury the bread seemed to be from a two thirds size loaf like Slimcea.

I have been eating these for years and this was a real shock as I usually have trouble rising from the table afterwards whereas with this I wondered whether to get some extra toast.

It could have been a one off but 'Spoons is usually very regimented on its meals so I'm suspecting not.

My best hope is that whilst it is deliberate it is clearing room at the top of the menu for an extra large breakfast with chips.

In my local spoons they have a hardcore of retired and not workings who go in for brekkie in the morning first thing, pay for the refillable tea/coffee and then sit there all day drinking tea/coffee. I can understand why they do it - free newspapers, TV.

Perhaps spoons is cutting back on the brekkie side because they are losing on the refillable beverage side?

It seems to go along with the generally massively disguised price increases most everywhere.  During one of my infrequent visits to Markies food hall I was stunned at some of the prices compared to just a couple of years ago.  Yet officially inflation has been low.

26 minutes ago, twocents said:

It seems to go along with the generally massively disguised price increases most everywhere.  During one of my infrequent visits to Markies food hall I was stunned at some of the prices compared to just a couple of years ago.  Yet officially inflation has been low.

Per gram is the shadow inflation is hiding behind ...everything is fecking shrinking 

54 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

In my local spoons they have a hardcore of retired and not workings who go in for brekkie in the morning first thing, pay for the refillable tea/coffee and then sit there all day drinking tea/coffee. I can understand why they do it - free newspapers, TV.

Perhaps spoons is cutting back on the brekkie side because they are losing on the refillable beverage side?

Reminds me of a few months back when I planned to go into work late and I got a call to say the girls didn't have their keys to the unit. I told them to go to Toby, grab a cup of coffee and I'd call them once I was in. 

When they got in to work they were telling me how busy it was in Toby. I pointed out that now they knew where a large chunk of their taxes were going and we must have it wrong working whilst this other lot ate breakfast and drank tea all day at their leisure. 

Prices are set at what their clientele can afford so naturally something has to give and that something is terribly disguised as shrinkflation. I wouldn’t hold Wetherspoon shares as I can’t see extra money flowing into shareholders pockets from this move either. Like all retailers they are struggling with the increased cost of doing business in the UK trading in a devaluing fiat currency.  The breakfasts are still good value IMO although I wouldn’t eat them. Their lamb shanks on the other hand 😋

Edited by longtomsilver

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well, what can I say.

The ingredients were all there as per the spec but most of it had shrunk.

Firstly honourable exemptions for: sausages and hash browns.  Though by contrast they may have looked huge I think they have just stayed the same.

Now the horrors:

Eggs - how small, are these from special dwarf chickens?

Baked beans - well the individual beans were no smaller but they were so few I could count them. Twenty three.

Bacon - two tiny strips hiding under the bread; so small I initially thought they weren't there.

Mushroom - halved in size

Tomato - how small?

And to add insult to injury the bread seemed to be from a two thirds size loaf like Slimcea.

I have been eating these for years and this was a real shock as I usually have trouble rising from the table afterwards whereas with this I wondered whether to get some extra toast.

It could have been a one off but 'Spoons is usually very regimented on its meals so I'm suspecting not.

My best hope is that whilst it is deliberate it is clearing room at the top of the menu for an extra large breakfast with chips.

There's only one thing for it. You're going to have to go back again tomorrow, and see if it was  one off! 

Just now, Uptherebels said:

There's only one thing for it. You're going to have to go back again tomorrow, and see if it was  one off! 

:D

It would be nice but given the calorie count it's a holiday treat for me so this was only my second or third this year.

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

Double cream thinned markedly in the supermarkets about 2 months ago. Now, it pours as I'd expect single to pour.

I dread to think what single must me like.

I thought it was just me recalling how thick I think double cream should be as I only have it over the festive period.

4 minutes ago, NTB said:

The one slight flaw in that plan is that you have to go to Ikea to get it. I'd rather sit with my stomach rumbling and set my pubes on fire.

Now that conjures up a picture I really don't want conjuring. O.o  agree though. Ikea is like hell on earth. 

They do very good freezer bags though.  

1 hour ago, OurDayWillCome said:

I thought it was just me recalling how thick I think double cream should be as I only have it over the festive period.

No, i know  a good chef, it's a fact, and a bad one. I can't work out if it is due to the milk shortage, so it is being made to go further, and so not being evaporated as much, or if it's an economic measure.

Whatever, I expect the new double cream will be here to stay once people have forgotten what double cream should be like

another retrograde step

42 minutes ago, One percent said:

Now that conjures up a picture I really don't want conjuring. O.o  agree though. Ikea is like hell on earth. 

They do very good freezer bags though.  

Dead usually on a weekday morning whenever I used to go in there.