• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Car servicing query

I know they changed the law so that you don't need to get a new car serviced with the mains stealer, around 5 years ago. I have a nearly-new Nissan still under warranty and it needs an oil change/first service - the mains dealer quoted...wait for it...£350. I would get a mate to do it myself but the dashboard has loads of warnings (not just icons, actual written stuff that covers the dash) and I don't know how to 'reset' them.

Under the bonnet it looks pretty sealed anyway, so I might just get it serviced but NOT for £350 the bastards!

Can I just take it down the local semi-gypo place and hope he knows how to reset the Nissan on board software?

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

I know they changed the law so that you don't need to get a new car serviced with the mains stealer, around 5 years ago. I have a nearly-new Nissan still under warranty and it needs an oil change/first service - the mains dealer quoted...wait for it...£350. I would get a mate to do it myself but the dashboard has loads of warnings (not just icons, actual written stuff that covers the dash) and I don't know how to 'reset' them.

Under the bonnet it looks pretty sealed anyway, so I might just get it serviced but NOT for £350 the bastards!

Is this from Glyn Hopkins?  

FWIW Bmw charged me £200 on an M4. WTF Nissan WTF.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Is this from Glyn Hopkins?  

No, It was through their website (www.nissan.co.uk) and they put me through to the local mains stealer, Motorline or something. They quoted £88 on their website inc VAT which i thought was 'about right' as this includes picking it up and bringing it back same-day and not having to fuss (or speak to a mechanic in person and pretend I give a shit). But now it seems to have jumped to £350 as the "website price was wrong".

giphy-downsized.gif

Just now, spunko2010 said:

FWIW Bmw charged me £200 on an M4. WTF Nissan WTF.

No, It was through their website (www.nissan.co.uk) and they put me through to the local mains stealer, Motorline or something. They quoted £88 on their website inc VAT which i thought was 'about right'.

Maybe go to another dealer direct?  If you fancy a day out, the Nissan dealer in bury is very good - we take a car up there and I think, the last service, 3 year, which I think is full service, not justboil change plus mot was about 250

http://www.hammondgroup.co.uk/pages/nissan

we had dreadful problems with Glyn Hopkin who said that a six month old car needed a new clutch  9_9  avoid these sharks like the plague  

Not relevant to your issue but I was quite happy with a tip on MSE re: MOTs, telling you to use the local council place.

They have spare capacity when not servicing their own vehicles. As they don't offer servicing, they aren't trying to stiff you for various things. Mine failed due to a wiper blade, they replaced it for free and then passed it. 

AFAIK Renault/Nissan follow the same fleecing service plan. They had the cheek to charge me £350 for it’s second service (Megane).  Mercedes Benz are cheaper and haggle on price. We’re on a service plan now but one year they knocked a third off and reimbursed me for a Costa Coffee breakfast whilst I waited.

If you use an independent make sure they use genuine parts including oil and filter. They did for my Skoda. 

Edited by longtomsilver

24 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Not relevant to your issue but I was quite happy with a tip on MSE re: MOTs, telling you to use the local council place.

They have spare capacity when not servicing their own vehicles. As they don't offer servicing, they aren't trying to stiff you for various things. Mine failed due to a wiper blade, they replaced it for free and then passed it. 

thats good i paid 17 quid for 1 wiperblade just at halfords ,i nealy fell over 17 fking quid

8 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

thats good i paid 17 quid for 1 wiperblade just at halfords ,i nealy fell over 17 fking quid

Fecking hell. I paid £2.50 for one from Wilco's the other week.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Can I just take it down the local semi-gypo place and hope he knows how to reset the Nissan on board software?

As long as Nissan parts are used and the garage is VAT registered the warranty holds 

Our Nissan takes 8l of oil which makes it relatively expensive , do it myself and it’s so old the warranty is not an issue 

Service light reset is easy, google will take you to an owners forum 

by the way after dosbods , owners forums are the best thing on the web, saved me a fortune over the years 

4 minutes ago, Malthus said:

As long as Nissan parts are used and the garage is VAT registered the warranty holds 

Our Nissan takes 8l of oil which makes it relatively expensive , do it myself and it’s so old the warranty is not an issue 

Service light reset is easy, google will take you to an owners forum 

by the way after dosbods , owners forums are the best thing on the web, saved me a fortune over the years 

Unfortunately, I have a Renault, and as far as I can see the owner's club websites are almost useless.

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

Unfortunately, I have a Renault, and as far as I can see the owner's club websites are almost useless.

Is it not that the cars are shit , all the bits on the Nissan that have broken are the Renault bits they use 😜

We got our Mazda serviced at Halfords Auto centre  which has been fine, but they were not able to reset the oil light. It comes on after 12,000ish miles to tell you to change the oil, we had new oil ad the Snap On computer and whatever else Halfords had could turn it off but it would just come back on again. There is some hold a wire between various parts of the car trick which supposedly can sort it, but we took it to a Mazda Main Stealer and paid £54 or something for it to ebe reset properly. It sounds like a fairly small thing buy I think it being on stops the DPF process or something. So yeah, the manufacturers are supposed to give indy garages everything they need to do the work, but don't.

I would just pay the £350 I think, if it's new enough to be under warranty I would not want to kill or harm it.

What sort of Nissan do you have? I didn't have you down as a Nissan driver. 

33 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

Thanks, I've looked into them before but never actually bought one, they're pretty cheap too, certainly cheaper than spending £54 after every oil change, and the time it takes to get out to the Main Stealer and back. Plus the time they make me wait while they pretend the process doesn't take one minute...

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Don't forget there are Indian made Nissans available in the UK as well.

If they are using Renault parts my view is the same

It`s not so much where they are made it`s more about who designed them after all BMW have engine plants in china i`m sure they will be no worse than a engine made in Germany  

5 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

If they are using Renault parts my view is the same

It`s not so much where they are made it`s more about who designed them after all BMW have engine plants in china i`m sure they will be no worse than a engine made in Germany 

The Indian one is the Nissan Pixo, it is a Suzuki Alto with a badge stuck on it.

So no Renault parts in that one.

44 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

We got our Mazda serviced at Halfords Auto centre  which has been fine, but they were not able to reset the oil light. It comes on after 12,000ish miles to tell you to change the oil, we had new oil ad the Snap On computer and whatever else Halfords had could turn it off but it would just come back on again. There is some hold a wire between various parts of the car trick which supposedly can sort it, but we took it to a Mazda Main Stealer and paid £54 or something for it to ebe reset properly. It sounds like a fairly small thing buy I think it being on stops the DPF process or something. So yeah, the manufacturers are supposed to give indy garages everything they need to do the work, but don't.

I would just pay the £350 I think, if it's new enough to be under warranty I would not want to kill or harm it.

What sort of Nissan do you have? I didn't have you down as a Nissan driver. 

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The Indian one is the Nissan Pixo, it is a Suzuki Alto with a badge stuck on it.

So no Renault parts in that one.

Its just like the Merc citan van  the yanks hold the sprinters in very high regard especially the diesel ones they were very excited when they heard they were getting the citan over there ..i often wonder how long it took them to realise it was a Renault cango with a different badge