• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Crap Journalism

Stumbled across this article by a journalist called Rafi Letzer on Scientific American.

The Truth about Those "Alien Alloys" in The New York Times UFO Story

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-truth-about-those-alien-alloys-in-the-new-york-times-ufo-story/

Now scientific American is quote 'an American popular science magazine. Many famous scientists, including Albert Einstein, have contributed articles in the past 170 years. It is the oldest continuously published monthly magazine in the United States and its first edition was in 1845 (though it only became monthly in 1921).

Now that is pretty credible.

However people like Rafi who are now writing in it have fuck all experience, relevant knowledge and thus credibility. Rafi writes for the likes of Business Insider and was recently an intern at Popular Science for a mere 4 months in 2014 .

• Reported and wrote short content for print (150-400 words)
• Performed a range of internal office tasks (i.e. minute-taking at meetings, newsletter management)

Rafi lists his interests as 'My beats: minds, climates, cameras, outer space, and anything else interesting.'

Yet somehow Rafi can get to the truth period despite using the word weird twice in the article as well as 'smart folks' and 'blow readers minds'..

As the say in teaching circles YECK, Young. Enthusiastic, Cheap & Keen, I give up

Just now, One percent said:

My bugbear with current journalism is the way in which they mangle the English language, especially in headings. Take this for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-42522173

County Durham child dies after Egypt pool incident

i cannot begin to explain how poor the grammar is with this. 

is with this ?

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

My bugbear with current journalism is the way in which they mangle the English language, especially in headings. Take this for example:

Should we get you a stone or a glass house?

34 minutes ago, Kilham said:

Real hard evidence based science is dead. Like everything else now, it's driven by opinion, feelings and money.

It seems to be driven by dubious surveys by voucher code websites a lot too. Example: only yesterday that nonsense about 1/4 of people who steal from self checkouts. Widely reported and discussed yet no dissemination on how accurately the survey was conducted - of course if it was at all. Absolute load of bollocks. 

Pick a figure out your arse,  pay a PR company a few hundred quid and with any luck you'll make the national news. 

Came across this piece today about a woman who can't be bothered to properly toilet train her very bright child.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/6431087/im-ashamed-to-send-my-son-to-school-in-nappies-but-i-still-dont-believe-in-potty-training/

Ends up the piece is more about her and her face than anything else.

Good job there is no actual news to report these days.

Yawn................

6 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Came across this piece today about a woman who can't be bothered to properly toilet train her very bright child.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/6431087/im-ashamed-to-send-my-son-to-school-in-nappies-but-i-still-dont-believe-in-potty-training/

Yawn................

self absorbed nasty piece of work. lazy.

I have just read a Zerohedge article about fungi from the "The Daily Bell". Bell-end, more like.

It contains this gem of scientific genius relating to the potential medicinal uses of fungi.

Fungi can also be used to create antibiotics for “incurable” viruses, such as AIDS, the flu, and smallpox.

Uh-huh. Antibiotics are antibacterial, not antiviral.

And the 'can' is contentious, I have yet to see any fungal antiviral derivative (unless DOSBODS knows better).

And I think they have missed the boat for curing smallpox.

It's difficult to take any of the hype in the article seriously when such basic errors are made.

6 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

I have just read a Zerohedge article about fungi from the "The Daily Bell". Bell-end, more like.

It contains this gem of scientific genius relating to the potential medicinal uses of fungi.

Uh-huh. Antibiotics are antibacterial, not antiviral.

And the 'can' is contentious, I have yet to see any fungal antiviral derivative (unless DOSBODS knows better).

And I think they have missed the boat for curing smallpox.

It's difficult to take any of the hype in the article seriously when such basic errors are made.

Agreed.

Fungi and their spores reduce the bodies immune system...not enhance it to fight disease.

Hence cyclosporin is used to prevent transplanted organ rejection, by suppressing the recipients immune system.

More crap journalism, from the New Scientist, of all things.

Daily news

30 April 2008

Bat squeaks louder than a rock concert

By Colin Barras

Here’s a possible explanation for why rock star Ozzy Osbourne infamously bit the head off a bat: he couldn’t stand the competition. Bat calls, it turns out, can reach up to a deafening 140 dB – that’s 20 dB louder than a rock concert and 15 dB above the human pain threshold.

Bats use high-pitched calls to echolocate because only at those ultrasonic frequencies can they detect their small, swiftly moving insect prey. But high-frequency calls don’t travel far through the air, leaving bats unable to detect prey beyond a few metres.

Annemarie Surlykke at the University of Southern Denmark in Odense and Elisabeth Kalko of the University of Ulm, Germany, reasoned that bats with the highest frequency calls would compensate for the small detection distance with louder cries, because a louder call travels further.

Loudest flier

To test this they recorded the calls of 11 bat species living on Barro Colorado Island in Panama.

They found that the call of one species – the lesser bulldog bat (Noctilio albiventris) – reached an ear-shattering 137 dB, an estimate they think is likely to be on the conservative side because of the high directionality of the calls. Even so, N. albiventris now holds the record as the loudest winged animal yet recorded.

Hear a recording of the bat reduced 10 times in speed and thus frequency to be audible to humans. The bat seems to get louder as it approaches the microphone.

The reading of 137 dB is the sound as heard 10 cm from the bat. “At 1 metre their emitted sound pressure would be about 20 dB lower. But 120 dB is still very, very loud,” says Sulykke.

“It’s a logical hypothesis that bats use more intense signals to compensate for the greater attenuation of high-frequency calls,” says Erin Gillam at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, US.

Deaf threat

Surlykke and Kalko recorded a great deal of variation in call pitch and volume among the 11 bat species on Barro Colorado Island.

They found, though, that each bat had a roughly similar detection range – around 3 to 12 metres depending on the size of the prey – because those bats calling at the highest pitch were also the loudest. Bats calling at lower pitches tended to call more quietly.

The finding suggests that bat species cohabiting an area compete equally well for prey. “Getting to approximately the same detection distance is probably an important evolutionary constraint,” says Surlykke.

Most bats deal with the extreme noise of their calls by squeezing their ear muscles shut as they squeal. While that might protect them from their own calls, it would do nothing to protect them from the deafening calls of their fellow hunters, says Gareth Jones, of the University of Bristol, UK.

“The calls would seem very loud to [other bats] flying close by,” he says.

Journal reference: PLoS One (DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0002036)

But decibels are a measure of relative amplitude - and so are meaningless unless the reference level is stated.

It's as meaningless as saying a man standing on Everest is 28,008 feet tall. It depends what you are measuring from.

The article mentions 'Sound Pressure', which is measured in Pascals,  it is Sound Pressure Level (SPL) that is measured in decibels.

But the reference for SPL (0db) is the lower limit of audibility.... which is meaningless for ultrasonic frequencies which you can't hear at all.

So the article is meaningless wibble. 

On 30/12/2017 at 20:24, One percent said:

What, Durham not a county?

On 30/12/2017 at 20:58, spunko2010 said:

It seems to be driven by dubious surveys by voucher code websites a lot too. Example: only yesterday that nonsense about 1/4 of people who steal from self checkouts. Widely reported and discussed yet no dissemination on how accurately the survey was conducted - of course if it was at all. Absolute load of bollocks. 

Pick a figure out your arse,  pay a PR company a few hundred quid and with any luck you'll make the national news. 

Journalism these days, especially at the So-Called BBC, consists of reading out press releases.

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

A child from.....

I assumed "Durham child" was the latest model and the issue was that the pool was from the Potsdam, not Egypt, range!  You mean they were trying to say something else?

Edited by No Duff

Just now, No Duff said:

Journalism these days, especially at the So-Called BBC, consists of reading out press releases.

The #vilebbc in particular and their self-righteously smug claims to not carrying any marketing -- but then the most-read article on the So-Called BBC News website is a press release. Example I can think of off the top of my head from past week:   "Lily Allen Uses Twitter 6 Hours a Day", which was an obviously fictitious message created by her PR to flog her new album. :Old:

9 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

The #vilebbc in particular and their self-righteously smug claims to not carrying any marketing -- but then the most-read article on the So-Called BBC News website is a press release. Example I can think of off the top of my head from past week:   "Lily Allen Uses Twitter 6 Hours a Day", which was an obviously fictitious message created by her PR to flog her new album. :Old:

How to spot a press release on the So-Called BBC:  "A report out today......".

Like "A report out today says milk is good for you", no mention of course it was from Mavis, the dairy cow.

Stay home for few days and investigate several stories and you'll switch off big time.

Or like former <insert impressive title> says we should not do <insert action> only to find out about said person's directorships.  No disclosure, by anyone.

Edited by No Duff

5 minutes ago, No Duff said:

I assumed "Durham child" was the latest model and the issue was that the pool was from the Potsdam, not Egypt, range!

Egypt is a minor hamlet of a few houses at a crossroads on the B4494 east of Leckhampstead, Berkshire. I think there may be a pool table there.

On 09/06/2018 at 14:20, Chewing Grass said:

And very pouty it is too. Delusions of beauty, poor thing.

"Every time he goes to the loo we buy him a new toy car". WTF?!

Anyone remember the bruised and battered Roger Cook with his radio commentaries as they regularly punched him and pushed him down the stairs? 

Cook was variously described in the press as 'Nemesis in a leisure shirt', 'A cross between Meatloaf and the Equaliser', 'The bravest/most beaten-up journalist in Britain' and 'The Taped Crusader.'

Or World in Action and This Week?  All gone, never replaced, apart from that well, chilling(!), expose about one or two Premier Inns.

Edited by No Duff

On 09/06/2018 at 14:20, Chewing Grass said:

Yawn................

Why is a three year old in school?

1 hour ago, LC1 said:

And very pouty it is too. Delusions of beauty, poor thing.

"Every time he goes to the loo we buy him a new toy car". WTF?!

Back in the 1960's, John Lennon sat down to write a song one day and allegedly said "I'm going to write myself a Rolls Royce".

This kid is going to sit down and say "I'm going to shit myself a Clio".

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Perhaps she should spend more of her working day on her ‘music’?