• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

mooncat69

Green Screen

Since seeing a YouTube video revealing how much of modern cinema involves green screen and CGI, I can now no longer watch a film without seeing CGI everywhere in modern films. Has this ruined cinema for other readers?

I noticed the intense CGI years ago. I think it's one of the reasons I don't bother going to the cinema any more, I prefer my special effects to be theatrical, not animated

Edited by Panther

14 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

Since seeing a YouTube video revealing how much of modern cinema involves green screen and CGI, I can now no longer watch a film without seeing CGI everywhere in modern films. Has this ruined cinema for other readers?

Yes, it turns me off a film big style.

Its even worse now that the filmmakers obviously think it has reached such levels of perfection that its as good as anything real. Its not.

They seem to prefer having pretty much all everyday objects portrayed with CGI rather than using the real thing. I don't.

24 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

CGI realism seems to be going backwards. The only movies I've seen with realistic cgi recently are Life Of Pi and the Planet of the Apes franchise. 

I thought the Grand Prix scene in Iron Man (2?) was superb and that was with cgi from 2010

The most unrealistic thing in that film was Tony Stark deciding to go for Gwyneth instead of Scarlett 

Edited by Knock Out Johnny

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

CGI realism seems to be going backwards. The only movies I've seen with realistic cgi recently are Life Of Pi and the Planet of the Apes franchise. 

There has probably been stuff you have watched where there was CGI but you weren't aware of it. The secret to good CGI is not to over-use. Unfortunately, all these Marvel and Star Wars films are basically non-stop CGI from beginning to end.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

There has probably been stuff you have watched where there was CGI but you weren't aware of it. The secret to good CGI is not to over-use. Unfortunately, all these Marvel and Star Wars films are basically non-stop CGI from beginning to end.

Indeed. I meant where it was obvious that it had been used when considering safety or practicality. eg nobody expects it to be a real tiger stuck on the boat!

The Game of Thrones battles - Battle of the Bastards and the battle on the frozen lake - were mostly CGI and very effective. Many people think that they were entirely shot on location when most of both sequences were shot indoors in a studio or on a studio lot with loads of green screen.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Good example -- Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi used no CGI -- Well, they didn't originally, and when they did add CGI it made them worse.

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

Indeed. I meant where it was obvious that it had been used when considering safety or practicality. eg nobody expects it to be a real tiger stuck on the boat!

Yep, at which point they cross the suspension of disbelief bridge far too far and hence you find it ludicrous instead of WOW!

All these Star Wars characters having thousands of laser guns fired at them and they avoid being hit - stupid. That kind of nonsense.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yep, at which point they cross the suspension of disbelief bridge far too far and hence you find it ludicrous instead of WOW!

All these Star Wars characters having thousands of laser guns fired at them and they avoid being hit - stupid. That kind of nonsense.

You don't need CGI for that.  The A-Team is full of 'avoiding being hit' albeit with non-existent lead rather than non-existent photons.

9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

You'll be telling us next that the outer space laser gun battle in Moonraker wasn't entirely above board.

17 minutes ago, eight said:

You'll be telling us next that the outer space laser gun battle in Moonraker wasn't entirely above board.

What does it matter? The film was such a load of old tosh anyway and about the only thing it had in common with the book was the title.

Does anyone else who has read some of the Fleming Bond books think that a lot of great plots were squandered when they were made into films, particularly in the 70s? Moonraker is proably the worst but Im sure they could remake some of the others today and make great films out of them (as long as they avoid too much CGI, of course).

24 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Car chases are shit nowadays, CGI has made them that unbelievable that for anyone other than teenagers they are shit.

I dread Hollywood trying to remake Bullit or the original French Connection. CGI would kill the raw excitement of car chases that were every bit as dangerous to make as they looked.  According to IMDB some of the French Connection shots were in real traffic.

The legendary Bill Hickman was involved in the stunt driving in both movies

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0382707/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

By comparison all modern car chases propped up by CGI are just anodyne.

Incidentally the inspiration for the chase in Bullit came from the one in the British film Robbery which had previously been made by the same Director Peter Yates

Edited by Virgil Caine

6 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

What does it matter? The film was such a load of old tosh anyway and about the only thing it had in common with the book was the title.

Does anyone else who has read some of the Fleming Bond books think that a lot of great plots were squandered when they were made into films, particularly in the 70s? Moonraker is proably the worst but Im sure they could remake some of the others today and make great films out of them (as long as they avoid too much CGI, of course).

I don’t think it’s coincidence that some of the most popular films of the 21st century have been stuff like the first couple of Bourne movies that used no or very little CGI.

It definitely has it’s place I don’t have an issue with it in the planet of the apes films, which wouldn’t work without it, or the Spartacus TV series - although some people can’t stand it in that. Works well in LOTR as well. I’ve never like any on the Pixar films but think that might be down to Pixar as have like some kids computer animated films but they do undeniably lack the charm of Wallace and Gromit type animations.

I actually think the desire to exclude CGI from Dunkirk actually lost the movie credibility - it was struggling almost immediatley after the world’s swiftest nature poo - but when talking about 300,000 being evacuated and clearly a fraction of that ever in shot that seems exactly the sort of scene, like the crowds in Gladiator, that CGI was made for. The same with the various naval vessels built at a vast cost to the budget that would have been better deployed elsewhere.

Decent movies can often be irreparably damaged by one poorly executed special effect. In Apocalypto so much had work was don’t creating an immersive otherworldliness, having the characters speak some sort of native tongue, throughout the whole movie only to piss that away by using an animatronic big cat that looked like it came from Toys R Us.

Edited by SNACR

2 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

I dread Hollywood trying to remake Bullit or the original French Connection. CGI would kill the raw excitement of car chases that were every bit as dangerous to make as they looked.  According to IMDB some of the French Connection shots were in real traffic.

The legendary Bill Hickman was involved in the stunt driving in both movies

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0382707/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

By comparison all modern car chases propped up by CGI are just anodyne.

Incidentally the inspiration for the chase in Bullit came from the one in the British film Robbery which had previously been made by the same Director Peter Yates

I don’t reckon in reality the stunt driver recovered the tail coming out at 4:15 when it cuts away.