• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Swatting

Police in this country shot a bloke on the motorway on nothing more than the evidence of a caller.

More troubling, once it was established there might be a problem, news articles appeared in the MSM smearing him as a ne-er do well.

The police, in this country, should be a lot more circumspect if someone calls claiming someone has a handgun as the prospect of it being true must be vanishingly small odds - possibly different with a shotgun claim.

Edited by SNACR

God is everyone in the US stupid including the Cops.

Don't they verify the callers details and phone number before initiating any action.?

Surely they must be able to detect out of state calls or locate mobile phone. If the callers number is withheld or not valid then surely that must raise a flag too.

Edited by Virgil Caine

6 hours ago, spygirl said:

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192111974.html

so, paramilitary cops will turn up in large number just on the sayso of a caller.

us has a police problem.

It happened to one of the founders of Mumsnet a few years back.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/armed-police-swoop-on-home-of-mumsnet-boss-after-fake-call-from-dad-hacker-a2916401.html

56 minutes ago, This Time said:

Yeah but ... the UK police arent so dumb,  mobbed handed and trigger happy as the US one.

I like the term a 'discharged'

Sounds more innocent then a bloke watching telly answered the door and a cop shot him.

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

The guy that made the call has doen it several times before apparently. Hopefully he'll swing this time.

Why?

It was the cop who shot the bloke.

I mean, hes ringing up and saying theirs a hostage situation.

Cops turn up. Bloke answers door. They shoot him.

There seems to be some process lacking here.

7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Why?

AFAIK, the guy called up to say that in a house someone had been killed, the house was doused in petrol, and someone else was about to be killed. Now, there may have been a process failure in checking, or in execution, and so there might need to be repercussions there too. But I'd personally, be happy to shut the door on the caller and throw the key away as the caller started the chain of events. If a guy lights a fire at someone's door to scare them, and the house  then explodes because the homeowner had a gas leak, is the guy who lit the fire blameless ?

Edited by Hopeful

I agree with Hopeful on this. Not to diminish some very obvious problems with policing in the states. However, it just isn't like life in the U.K. Police attending domestic incidents face death. Lethal weapons are freely available and the population volatile. Quite understandably this leads to stressed police making what appear to be horribly disproportionate decisions. However it really isn't a case that "Elli, ello, ello what's all this then, we've had reports that someone has shot someone. Let's have a cup of tea and work out what's what." Is going to work.

Sending the U.S police to someone's house and informing said police that there's weapons involved is only ever setting the scene for this to happen. The Swatter is directly culpable. 

No,disagree.

You dont want loads of people with guns blundering in.

Lets give a different scenario - you set up a call, saying tehre's a armed hostage or whatever, in a street. You choose tthe street so its bascialyl a trap, knowing the SWAT team are going to blindly walk into a massive trap, so you can pick them off, one by one and steal their weapons.

Again, they should into be blundering into situations blind.

1 hour ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Harry_Stanley

Harry Stanley in the UK was killed by police officers after someone incorrectly believed he was an Irish man with a gun wrapped in a bag. He turned out to be scottish and it was a table leg. 

At the junction of Fremont Street and Victoria Park Road in South Hackney, close to his home, Inspector Neil Sharman and PC Kevin Fagan, the crew of a Metropolitan police Armed Response Vehicle challenged Mr. Stanley from behind. As he turned to face them, they shot him dead at a distance of 15 feet (5 m).

The new jury returned a verdict, in November 2004, of unlawful killing,[8] which resulted in the suspension of the officers involved.[9]

In protest at the suspensions, over 120 out of the 400 Metropolitan Police officers authorised to use firearms handed in their firearms authorisation cards, with Glen Smyth, a Police Federation spokesman saying, "The officers are very concerned that the tactics they are trained in, as a consequence of the verdict, are now in doubt."[10] The officers' suspensions were lifted shortly afterwards.[

On 2 June 2005 the two officers involved in the shooting were arrested and interviewed, following an investigation by Surrey Police involving new forensic evidence.[16] The Crown Prosecution Service decided in October 2005 not to press charges, saying that they "concluded that the prosecution evidence is insufficient to rebut the officers' assertion that they were acting in self defence".[17]

And this is why every section of society hates the police and their scum bag mates the CPS.

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

Hopefully the guy that made the call will have his life ruined

I believe that the law in the US is that if anyone dies as a result of a crime you have committed then it counts as murder. Presumably making a knowingly false report to the police is a crime so this person should spend a long time in jail, especially since they're probably very keen to make an example of someone for swatting.

42 minutes ago, gibbon said:

And this is why every section of society hates the police and their scum bag mates the CPS.

To my knowledge (knowing a few Cops and associated ilk) the Police and CPS are certainly not friends with the latter being the reason we have scumbags ruining this once great nation.

5 hours ago, spygirl said:

Why?

Some one i know could well have seen the same fate 

All from silly (in hindsight) comments made to a persistent cold caller (telephone) 

6 hours ago, spygirl said:

Why?

There is a process here. It's called summary execution.

Just now, Southmartin said:

Can anyone explain to me what Swatting actually is?

Hello, Id like to report a load of people with guns. They are shooting everyone.

Their address is <insert hated neighbour>

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Hello, Id like to report a load of people with guns. They are shooting everyone.

Their address is <insert hated neighbour>

Is that it?? And then they get shot by the cops?? Really??

Feck me

53 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Is that it?? And then they get shot by the cops?? Really??

Feck me

No.

About 30 cops in swat setup turn up, pumped up, ready to whack some dirty punk.

Ring doorbell.

Some confused  bloke opens the door, wondering what the noise is, goes to scratch his crutch and some trigger happy swat teamer blows him away.