• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

liverpool arena fire

Is it normal for this type of car park to destroy all cars when one catches fire?  I've not heard of it before -- sounds like a serious design flaw to me.

I thought they contained fires close to the vehicle that caught fire and didn't spread.  Well, not unless there was a freak incident where multiple vehicles caught badly on fire at the same time.

26 minutes ago, dgul said:

Is it normal for this type of car park to destroy all cars when one catches fire?  I've not heard of it before -- sounds like a serious design flaw to me.

I thought they contained fires close to the vehicle that caught fire and didn't spread.  Well, not unless there was a freak incident where multiple vehicles caught badly on fire at the same time.

It is very strange that all cars have been destroyed. Something like 1400 cars according to the So-Called BBC. 

I really don't believe that this is happenstance. I would wager though that we will never be told the truth. 

8 hours ago, One percent said:

How many grenfell residents had their cars parked there?  

Too harsh?  

id be more interested in how many luxuary houses will be given to there owners

7 hours ago, dgul said:

clading and a dodgy dryer

7 hours ago, dgul said:

From the photo it's your usual low ceilinged multi storey so the original intense fire is going to rapidly heat up the surrounding cars so that their petrol starts vapourising and then catches.

It wouldn't happen outdoors or if the cars were those nice safe diesels without that dangerous volatile petrol.

8 hours ago, dgul said:

I'd imagine that it would be difficult for the Fire service to get appliances close to fight the fire. Obviously fire engines are too big to get into car park and I'm not sure if car parks have fire hydrants in them (will look the next time I'm in).

I'd think once a couple of cars are alight it would be very hard to stop the fire spreading. I'd also imagine the first thing the fire service would do is to make sure the car park is empty - making sure each car has no kids hiding in the back could take a while.

16 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I'd imagine that it would be difficult for the Fire service to get appliances close to fight the fire. Obviously fire engines are too big to get into car park and I'm not sure if car parks have fire hydrants in them (will look the next time I'm in).

I'd think once a couple of cars are alight it would be very hard to stop the fire spreading. I'd also imagine the first thing the fire service would do is to make sure the car park is empty - making sure each car has no kids hiding in the back could take a while.

But, what makes me suspicious, is that there has never been, afaicr, a fire such as this. How long have we been using multi storey car parks?

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

But, what makes me suspicious, is that there has never been, afaicr, a fire such as this. How long have we been using multi storey car parks?

Maybe it was a "perfect storm" of a car park completely full, busy roads and the fire service called to other fires. 

But yeah, it is a bit suspicious. Seemingly the fire was started by a Range Rover. If this RR is driven by a RoPer it's possible it was a bomb detonating prematurely.

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

Nothing on this scale but that was a packed car park; I'm inferring from the below that it wasn't.

The largest, and most widely quoted, example of a car park fire occurred in a multi-storey car park above Preston bus station on 15 February 1990. The fire started in the engine of one parked car, and radiated heat quickly caused the fire to spread to two neighbouring vehicles, both of which were destroyed. Smoke damaged a further six. It is accepted that smoke and toxic gases are the main causes of death from fire, and this must also be true of car park fires.

http://www.lwf.co.uk/bulletin/eb-8-car-park-fires/

The Mail suggests there was an explosion. I'm trying to think what ideas the PTB will come up with now to protect us so this never happens again. 

#notallcarparks

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nothing on this scale but that was a packed car park; I'm inferring from the below that it wasn't.

The largest, and most widely quoted, example of a car park fire occurred in a multi-storey car park above Preston bus station on 15 February 1990. The fire started in the engine of one parked car, and radiated heat quickly caused the fire to spread to two neighbouring vehicles, both of which were destroyed. Smoke damaged a further six. It is accepted that smoke and toxic gases are the main causes of death from fire, and this must also be true of car park fires.

http://www.lwf.co.uk/bulletin/eb-8-car-park-fires/

Ta, an interesting read. 

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

From the photo it's your usual low ceilinged multi storey so the original intense fire is going to rapidly heat up the surrounding cars so that their petrol starts vapourising and then catches.

It wouldn't happen outdoors or if the cars were those nice safe diesels without that dangerous volatile petrol.

Actually Frank its the paint that catches fire first and burns readily as its is on a flat metal surface that rapidly heats up although there is always an argument to be had that it is the tyres on adjacent vehicles that catch first due to the auto ignition temperature of rubber being so much lower.

If you have ever stripped car body panels with a hot air gun and scraper or done some careless welding you know how pant-soilingly quick it can go up and spread.

Cellulose paint of yesteryear was even more scarily combustible especially on old cars with added polyester body filler and fibreglass resin.

1 hour ago, Great Guy said:

Maybe it was a "perfect storm" of a car park completely full, busy roads and the fire service called to other fires. 

But yeah, it is a bit suspicious. Seemingly the fire was started by a Range Rover. If this RR is driven by a RoPer it's possible it was a bomb detonating prematurely.

could have been a dpf fire. quite a few videos of range rovers on fire. Wonder if Jaguar Range Rover will be liable in any way.