• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

sarahbell

sexual orientation

On a more serious note, does anyone answer these questions?

I honestly think that were this brought up at interview, and an answer was demanded, I would first demand to know the sexual orientation of everyone else in the room. It seems only fair and just as relevant.

5 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I honestly think that were this brought up at interview, and an answer was demanded, I would first demand to know the sexual orientation of everyone else in the room. It seems only fair and just as relevant.

Sorry. Had to be done. 

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

I do, every time.  The council sends them out with the most random stuff like parking surveys which apparently is because they just need a certain number completed so they just bung them into everything.

I do however also lie.  At work I put British Asian, keeping it consistent each year in case they refer back, though will be adding gender fluid this year if an option. 

On the council ones however I put a different race / sexual orientation each time.  It may even have been Chinese on the parking survey.

I do this because when the great and good give out grant funding they tend to favour diverse areas so in some small way I may actually be benefiting.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I do, every time.  The council sends them out with the most random stuff like parking surveys which apparently is because they just need a certain number completed so they just bung them into everything.

I do however also lie.  At work I put British Asian, keeping it consistent each year in case they refer back, though will be adding gender fluid this year if an option. 

On the council ones however I put a different race / sexual orientation each time.  It may even have been Chinese on the parking survey.

I do this because when the great and good give out grant funding they tend to favour diverse areas so in some small way I may actually be benefiting.

I change mine. So regularly, I can't remember my sex, sexual orientation, race or indeed my religion. 

If they dare to challenge me, I'll just say how very dare they challenge my right to identify as I want and to change how I identify.  

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I do wonder if, here, there is a hidden implication that ticking something other than "heterosexual" might in some way improve your chances of getting an interview.

Reminds me of that question again:

"If you needed life-saving medical treatment, and you had to make a choice between Hospital A, which selects on the basis of a quota system, and Hospital B, which selects on the basis of competence, which would you choose?"

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

I do wonder if, here, there is a hidden implication that ticking something other than "heterosexual" might in some way improve your chances of getting an interview.

Reminds me of that question again:

"If you needed life-saving medical treatment, and you had to make a choice between Hospital A, which selects on the basis of a quota system, and Hospital B, which selects on the basis of competence, which would you choose?"

I have mentioned before that in the event of any physically disabled person applying for a job I would have hugely favoured them over other candidates; they haven't and as has been pointed out it's probably because of the benefits trap in which they find themselves.  Which is still discrimination on my part but there you go.

Organisations in receipt of government grant funding have to tick a lot of boxes and then impose those upon their contractors.  One of them is demonstrating a commitment to diversity and equality and you're always going to be marked down on that if your workforce is, say, 100% white, male and straight.  So yes I think it would improve your chances of getting an interview as far as the HR department is concerned.

In one of my many run ins with various HR departments over the years I once had an application for a junior accounting job from a Pakistani in Pakistan.  This was paying about £12k and I just wanted somebody local who could start soon, and had a couple of decent candidates.  HR was insistent that I had to interview the guy from Pakistan or it would be discriminatory; I said that they were welcome to interview them but I wasn't because I was not going to consider a foreign candidate with no right to work in the UK for a junior job.  End of.  I don't know whether they interviewed them but the guy did email inventing all sorts of policies that weren't actually on our website or our policies to say why he should have been considered with a empty threat of legal action which didn't happen.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Generation Game said:

Sorry. Had to be done. 

That's realistic as well as extremely funny.  The puzzle is most everyone knows the corporate system is rubbish and the continual butt of jokes yet they still persist with it.

It's just confirmation of how seriously inept, controlling and make workish the UK corporate sector is.

Edited by twocents