• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
eight

F1

No F1 thread yet?

Fernando Alonso to compete at Indianapolis 500.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/fernando-alonso-indycar-series-formula-one-indy-500-triple-crown-of-motorsport-skipping-monaco-grand-prix

Typically for Alonso's career moves, all four of Andretti's Honda powered cars went down with engine failure at Long Beach on Sunday gone.

Whilst  I cannot watch forumla 1 anymore due to it being about as engrossing as watching damp paint dry, I still think Alonso is one of the best drivers out there. 

The fact that Mclaren are willing to let him miss monaco to race in indycar shows to me that even they know their car is a dog and is not likely to improve at all this season.

It would be nice if someone else could copy Graham Hills triple crown of Indy 500, F1 World Champ and Le Mans winner.

I thought about starting this thread a few days ago, but after the first two races of the season, even I thought it was too boring. I know it's early days and I appreciate there's a battle between Vettel and Hamilton that we've all been crying out for, but for some reason it just isn't doing it for me so far. If we see Vettel and Hamilton making lunging passes on each other out on track then I'll happily eat my words, but overtaking in the pit stops just isn't where it's at for me.

I have always got more into the season once it gets to Europe, so fingers crossed.

Re Alonso, I genuinely believe he's an absolute master, and it's a tragedy that his years are just passing by without a car to do him justice. I also freely admit to having done a complete 180 degree turn in my opinion about him since his last stint at McLaren. A fight between him, Vettel, Hamilton and perhaps even Verstappen in relatively equally matched cars would be a dream.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

F1 is one of those sports where I know many people who great such great enjoyment from it that I keep quiet about it doing nothing for me.

I genuinely respect that Frank - I completely understand how it's less interesting than watching paint dry for a lot of people, but for those of us who are interested, there's nothing more pointless than a post that adds nothing other than stating the poster's disinterest.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I still think that my idea of snipers randomly placed around each track with different rifles would be a winner. If only to hear Hamilton whine "They're shooting at me! They're shooting at me!".

Although I would be inclined to agree with TMT here.

9 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I genuinely respect that Frank - I completely understand how it's less interesting than watching paint dry for a lot of people, but for those of us who are interested, there's nothing more pointless than a post that adds nothing other than stating the poster's disinterest.

Although I would be inclined to agree with TMT here.

TBF I know exactly how Frank feels. I work with blokes who are all football fans, whereas I have no interest in it at all. We can be talking about any random topic, be it funny or serious, then suddenly one of them will say something like, "Did you hear what Mourinho said after the match?" and I just drop out of the conversation and get on with my work. I see no point in trying to engage in a conversation I have no interest in.

One thing that does annoy me though is when one of them tries to talk to me about F1 when I know they have absolutely no interest in it. I realise they are just trying to make conversation but I have common ground with all of them (including my prick of a boss) but F1 isn't one of them so let's talk about something else shall we... It probably annoys me because I know I used to do it myself when I was at school, pretending I liked football to try to fit in better - what a fool I was!

35 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I also freely admit to having done a complete 180 degree turn in my opinion about him since his last stint at McLaren. A fight between him, Vettel, Hamilton and perhaps even Verstappen in relatively equally matched cars would be a dream.

I feel the same about Alonso now. Couldn't stand him after his antics at McLaren first time around and took great pleasure in watching him fail to win the WDC in 2010 & 2012 (and also I support Vettel - An Englishman trapped in a Germans body if ever I saw one). However, when he returned to McLaren in 2015 I gained a new level of respect for him for being able to bury the hatchet in such a manor. That picture of him and Ron Dennis at the announcement hugging is something to behold. Never, ever thought that could happen after their almighty falling out in 2007.

Just a shame the engine has been a bag of shite.

Edited by TheNoSnowMan

58 minutes ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I can't believe anybody is surprised. Honda's works team was an embarrassment, yet with the Mercedes engine installed they went on to win the title as Brawn the following season.

I also totally get that weird thing about F1 being the sport that it's OK to go out of your way to criticise. You get people posting on F1 forums just to say how they can't stand it. Now MMA, for instance, does nothing for me. That's why I don't watch it, read about it or talk about it.

How refreshing to have a motorsport thread with no input from Bruce Banner doing that weird racist thing where being a white German (in truth, weird pan-European mongrel) somehow trumps being a somewhat black Englishman.

30 minutes ago, eight said:

How refreshing to have a motorsport thread with no input from Bruce Banner doing that weird racist thing where being a white German (in truth, weird pan-European mongrel) somehow trumps being a somewhat black Englishman.

I noticed that as well but thought it was just me. Even though Bruce never said it, it always seemed he didn't like Hamilton simply because he was black. I suppose I can understand people not liking LH because he can be a tad annoying/whiny at times and has developed an ever so slight American twang to his Stevenage vocab - disliking him simply because he is the product of a black dad and a white mother is just... well... thick!

3 hours ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

I feel the same about Alonso now. Couldn't stand him after his antics at McLaren first time around and took great pleasure in watching him fail to win the WDC in 2010 & 2012 (and also I support Vettel - An Englishman trapped in a Germans body if ever I saw one). However, when he returned to McLaren in 2015 I gained a new level of respect for him for being able to bury the hatchet in such a manor. That picture of him and Ron Dennis at the announcement hugging is something to behold. Never, ever thought that could happen after their almighty falling out in 2007.

Yep, totally agree. The other thing for me was that I failed to properly appreciate Alonso's brilliance before. So although his years in the wilderness have been painful to watch, they've at least made it clear to me that the guy is genuinely one of the greats in terms of ability, considering what he can get out of a truly dreadful car.

One thing that just occurred to me - been a bit slow on the uptake with this.

McLaren have agreed to let their number one driver, with all his skill and experience, miss the one GP that a) they have the best chance of a semi decent result at, and b) must be one of the biggest events of the year in terms of securing sponsorship.

Which suggests to me that it's Alonso calling the shots here and the McLaren are doing their level best to stop him walking out of the door. Ironically in doing so, they allow him to showcase himself to the entire motorsport world.

It's a funny old game.

I reckon Alonso's given up on the idea of a third title and is instead going after the 'Triple crown". Juan Pablo Montoya has come the closest since Graham Hill achieved it and still can if he contests (and wins) the Le Mans 24 hours. I think Alonso, if given good enough equipment, will piss it.

2 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

One thing that just occurred to me - been a bit slow on the uptake with this.

McLaren have agreed to let their number one driver, with all his skill and experience, miss the one GP that a) they have the best chance of a semi decent result at, and b) must be one of the biggest events of the year in terms of securing sponsorship.

Which suggests to me that it's Alonso calling the shots here and the McLaren are doing their level best to stop him walking out of the door. Ironically in doing so, they allow him to showcase himself to the entire motorsport world.

It's a funny old game.

Monaco is still supposed to be the jewel in the crown of F1. We all know that it is just a parade with little chance of over-taking but, even so, I was surprised that they have allowed him to miss it. I agree with you view that Alonso has some serious power in that team now and that they are indeed desperate to lose him - either for his expertise as a driver or for the money that his name brings into the team. Probably both.

I used to really enjoy F1, remember watching it with my Dad when I was about 5 or 6. Been to a few GP's - Belgium (fantastic approaching the circuit and hearing the noise of the cars), Silverstone and Portugal. Remember Jean Alesi skidding off at Stavelot, Michael Schumacher putting it into the tyre wall at Silverstone, but it's so boring these days - drivers have no personality. If the BBC still have the rights I'd love them to run the old GP seasons - I'd watch them even if I know the results.

21 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I used to really enjoy F1, remember watching it with my Dad when I was about 5 or 6. Been to a few GP's - Belgium (fantastic approaching the circuit and hearing the noise of the cars), Silverstone and Portugal. Remember Jean Alesi skidding off at Stavelot, Michael Schumacher putting it into the tyre wall at Silverstone, but it's so boring these days - drivers have no personality. If the BBC still have the rights I'd love them to run the old GP seasons - I'd watch them even if I know the results.

That's something I hear a lot, but that I don't really get. I'm not saying I disagree, because from your post it sounds as though you were into it earlier than I was and probably have a better feel for some characters that I didn't ever really see in their day.

But I also don't really expect a racing driver should need to have a personality - or at least, not the sort that I think you mean. I think that in order to be so good they need to be utterly clinical, which probably pretty much excludes the outgoing and entertaining personality. But I do think a lot of them express their personality out on the track in the way that they drive and react to competitors and their own team.

Then again maybe I just see something that isn't there. I freely admit that I'm having to work to convince myself so far this season.

11 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

That's something I hear a lot, but that I don't really get. I'm not saying I disagree, because from your post it sounds as though you were into it earlier than I was and probably have a better feel for some characters that I didn't ever really see in their day.

But I also don't really expect a racing driver should need to have a personality - or at least, not the sort that I think you mean. I think that in order to be so good they need to be utterly clinical, which probably pretty much excludes the outgoing and entertaining personality. But I do think a lot of them express their personality out on the track in the way that they drive and react to competitors and their own team.

Then again maybe I just see something that isn't there. I freely admit that I'm having to work to convince myself so far this season.

I get what you mean about the clinical detachment, they are almost robotic, Schumacher was like that and although he was a great driver you couldn't warm to him.  I started watching in the James Hunt era - I think the drivers had a different mind set then, it was a horrifically dangerous sport ( one of my enduring memories is watching Hunt rescuing poor Ronnie Peterson), they lived for the moment, at least some of them did. I don't want them to make the sport that dangerous again but the races have become boring high speed parades on dull anodyne circuits. I've driven Eau Rouge in a normal street car, it's amazing, I can only begin to imagine what it's like in an F1 car at full throttle, compare that to some of the circuits they've introduced recently in order to get new audiences.

17 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

Don't understand how anyone can watch formula 1 when WTCC exists. Routinely more action in an average lap than an average entire season of formula one and that's really not an exaggeration. 

Funny, I like F1 and WTCC and BTCC do nothing for me. I mean, if you asked me to name one category of motorsport that is a shadow of its former self I would say touring cars, followed by rallying. German touring cars of the early 90's is probably peak motorsport as far as I'm concerned.

Formula E is quite promising, and I've always liked Indycars. F1 has never been flat out action as long as it has existed; I've been watching it a long time and am never quite sure exactly when the golden era that everybody harks back to was supposed to have been.

Edited by eight