• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

No smoke without fire

Trying not to go full on conspiraloon here but there seems to be an outbreak of fires recently. 

We have this today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5228023/Fire-Woburn-Safari-Park-kills-13-monkeys.html

A large fire at the Woburn Safari Park has killed 13 monkeys after the roof on the building they were living in collapsed. 

Emergency services were called at 2.37am on Tuesday after reports of a huge blaze within the African Forest drive-through area of the large park in Bedfordshire.

We had the massive car park fire the other evening:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-42533830

and last week, another zoo, this time London zoo:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-42465094

is there a pattern emerging here? 

48 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yep, News outlets desperate for a story people might be interested in trading on the fact fires are now news since Grenfell. 

None of these would have been news worthy pre Grenfell. 

Grand arson seems to have been stuff that's been covered in 'Inspire Magazine' over the years.  (including wildfires and buildings).

[not that I've ever seen an issue...  I think it is made up by The Mail just to have something to worry people about.]

Edited by dgul

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Husband wondered if the fire brigade were paid enough.

I know retained firefighters set gorse fires in order to get paid for a call out but these are reasonably safe as gorse burns slowly and animals can get away. I'd be amazed if they started setting genuinely dangerous fires.

27 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I know retained firefighters set gorse fires in order to get paid for a call out but these are reasonably safe as gorse burns slowly and animals can get away. I'd be amazed if they started setting genuinely dangerous fires.

I don't think for a minute anyone sane would ever set a fire deliberately.

The pictures in the echo of the car park show what fire does to concrete when it's hot enough! 

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Somebody at works ex-car was in there and apparently the official number of cars is the car park is now 1600.

Probably nearer 16,000 by the time all the insurance claims get filed. All very low mileage in perfect condition.

4 hours ago, One percent said:

Trying not to go full on conspiraloon here but there seems to be an outbreak of fires recently. 

We have this today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5228023/Fire-Woburn-Safari-Park-kills-13-monkeys.html

A large fire at the Woburn Safari Park has killed 13 monkeys after the roof on the building they were living in collapsed. 

Emergency services were called at 2.37am on Tuesday after reports of a huge blaze within the African Forest drive-through area of the large park in Bedfordshire.

We had the massive car park fire the other evening:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-42533830

and last week, another zoo, this time London zoo:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-42465094

Burning down immigrant accommodation?

8 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Burning down immigrant accommodation?

It might be as simple as what was raised over grenfell in that the fire service is no longer responsible for fire checks.  It is now done by private stooges  experts. 

45 minutes ago, One percent said:

Doesn't explain the monkeys and aardvark though. 

It sounds like an accident.  Generator failure but I thought they just stopped if they failed?  Awful for the animals to die in that way.  The animals also of course being very popular with animal lovers far and wide who must feel very shocked at the accident.

Apparently the monkeys were free to roam in the park during the day and climbed on cars etc - part of the attraction.  Entrance isn't that cheap especially during the "austerity" but presumably that experience is still very popular with the kids - of all the increasingly different backgrounds - even with all the ipad etc alternatives. 

It'll be interesting to see if the zoo can recover after such a setback and carry on as before to replace those animals or they will be forced to use some of the monkey roaming area for other purposes.

Edited by twocents

34 minutes ago, twocents said:

It sounds like an accident.  Generator failure but I thought they just stopped if they failed?  Awful for the animals to die in that way.  The animals also of course being very popular with animal lovers far and wide who must feel very shocked at the accident.

Apparently the monkeys were free to roam in the park during the day and climbed on cars etc - part of the attraction.  Entrance isn't that cheap especially during the "austerity" but presumably that experience is still very popular with the kids - of all the increasingly different backgrounds - even with all the ipad etc alternatives. 

It'll be interesting to see if the zoo can recover after such a setback and carry on as before to replace those animals or they will be forced to use some of the monkey roaming area for other purposes.

At Woburn, there is the option to avoid the monkey section (if you don't want your aerial or wing mirrors etc. compromised) so, without having seen the damage, I would be pretty confident that they can work around it.