DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Property Bee - dead or alive

spunko

Does anyone else here use Property Bee? It hasn't worked for a while with Firefox Quantum, I assumed it was being updated in due course, but I have since noticed that the "owners" of this (having acquired it a few years ago from the original developer) are not going to bother updating it any more.

I'm contacted the new owners to see if they'll release the dev rights to make it community-funded/developed, not sure they'll bother getting back to me. RIP property bee!

Why let a good thing go to waste??? :PissedOff:

I used to use it but found, once it had been sold off, that it was broken more times than it worked. Sad as it was a brilliant tool. 

I had it but couldn't get it to work for the last month or two.

It's probably been bought out as a conspiracy to keep property prices high. Shame. :(

I only use Firefox for property bee so just rolled back to the previous version. There's a similar chrome extension but I can't remember the name of it.

4 minutes ago, This Time said:

I only use Firefox for property bee so just rolled back to the previous version. There's a similar chrome extension but I can't remember the name of it.

Gah I hate Chrome (and Google) and will hopefully never use it.

Long time lurking

Yep it will only work with Firefox 56 i updated to 57 and its gone 

2 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I had it but couldn't get it to work for the last month or two.

It's probably been bought out as a conspiracy to keep property prices high. Shame. :(

We must have the same tinfoil hat supplier ...my first thought was zooplar/rightmove 

Long time lurking
43 minutes ago, This Time said:

You need to turn off auto update before you roll back. Options - General - Firefox updates

Cheers ..took a while but i found it eventually:D 

On 02/01/2018 at 10:35, spunko2010 said:

Does anyone else here use Property Bee? It hasn't worked for a while with Firefox Quantum, I assumed it was being updated in due course, but I have since noticed that the "owners" of this (having acquired it a few years ago from the original developer) are not going to bother updating it any more.

I'm contacted the new owners to see if they'll release the dev rights to make it community-funded/developed, not sure they'll bother getting back to me. RIP property bee!

Why let a good thing go to waste??? :PissedOff:

That would be great, it's a very useful tool.  It still works on my version of firefox at work as it's not updated but my home PC firefox version has borked it. PITA.

Long time lurking
3 hours ago, JFK said:

That would be great, it's a very useful tool.  It still works on my version of firefox at work as it's not updated but my home PC firefox version has borked it. PITA.

The answer two posts above

• 2 months later...
Green Devil

Installed this today as stuff seems to be sticking now and getting reduced.

This still works with this version - uninstall your old version first, then installed the new version. turn off the auto update and update service in settings.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0b9/win64/en-GB/

Prop bee should still be there if you had it installed before.

11 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Installed this today as stuff seems to be sticking now and getting reduced.

This still works with this version - uninstall your old version first, then installed the new version. turn off the auto update and update service in settings.

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/56.0b9/win64/en-GB/

Prop bee should still be there if you had it installed before.

It's not a good idea to use an out of date browser for your main browsing... I've posted on the Property Bee forums trying to see if they'll release the sourcecode and also I've contacted them directly but so far have heard nothing. They don't seem interested and I wonder if their plan all along as the new owners, was to shut down PB. (IIRC they, nethouseprices, are funded by estate agents).

If they don't get back to me soon I'll probably just fork it anyway.

Green Devil
27 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It's not a good idea to use an out of date browser for your main browsing... I've posted on the Property Bee forums trying to see if they'll release the sourcecode and also I've contacted them directly but so far have heard nothing. They don't seem interested and I wonder if their plan all along as the new owners, was to shut down PB. (IIRC they, nethouseprices, are funded by estate agents).

If they don't get back to me soon I'll probably just fork it anyway.

I dont use it generally, chrome.

25 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I'm not sure on the requirement to sign in - does anyone know if it works without logging in to PB?

I was going to contact Beerhunter who was the original developer before he sold it to nethouseprices. The only contact point I can find is on HPC! http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/profile/388-beerhunter:Geek:

No you need to login so the data is logged in their 'global' database.

• 2 weeks later...
TheCountOfNowhere

Just tried Rightmove PB today on the older version, but it didnt work.

Can someone else try this ?

Im just wondering if they've stopped it working somehow after all my tweets to Advertising Standards about less than factual adverts

5 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Im just wondering if they've stopped it working somehow after all my tweets to Advertising Standards about less than factual adverts

Seems to be working on the individual listings pages but not on the search results pages.

TheCountOfNowhere
2 hours ago, This Time said:

Seems to be working on the individual listings pages but not on the search results pages.

Seeing the same thing.

I think RM must be trying to nobble it, I've been having a go at them on twitter about their adverts, hopefully it's related :Jumping:

Rather than stopped the EAs they're stopping the people pointing out people breaking the law, potentiall.

Welcome to Britain 2018

However, Im one step ahead, Im about to unleash the beast on them.

I've got a rather clever chappy I know to knock up a Linux app to parse the data from RM

It's checked for changes and best of all....Estate Agents saying they've lowered the price when they've done nothing of the kind.

The data will be going to the ASA in due course

Testing is now in progress.

I dunno why I didnt think of this before !!!!

Would anyone be interested in giving it a go when it's been tested for a week or two  ?

It's text based by will output URLs to changed listings.

Means you can process 7 days in a radius of 40 miles in no time at all.

Seems to be some limits on RM tho, can only grab 1000 listings at a time, still better than trawling through

Property bee is dead, long live The property lion, so called as it'll trap those lion bastards.

5 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Seeing the same thing.

I think RM must be trying to nobble it, I've been having a go at them on twitter about their adverts, hopefully it's related :Jumping:

Rather than stopped the EAs they're stopping the people pointing out people breaking the law, potentiall.

Welcome to Britain 2018

However, Im one step ahead, Im about to unleash the beast on them.

I've got a rather clever chappy I know to knock up a Linux app to parse the data from RM

It's checked for changes and best of all....Estate Agents saying they've lowered the price when they've done nothing of the kind.

The data will be going to the ASA in due course

Testing is now in progress.

I dunno why I didnt think of this before !!!!

Would anyone be interested in giving it a go when it's been tested for a week or two  ?

It's text based by will output URLs to changed listings.

Means you can process 7 days in a radius of 40 miles in no time at all.

Seems to be some limits on RM tho, can only grab 1000 listings at a time, still better than trawling through

Property bee is dead, long live The property lion, so called as it'll trap those lion bastards.

Nice, I'd definitely be interested in trying it.

TheCountOfNowhere
12 hours ago, This Time said:

Nice, I'd definitely be interested in trying it.

Ok, brilliant

I'll look at getting it put on the internet in a week or two.

I've grabbed my first lot of data so it'll take a few days to get any meaningful results.

It's catching this kind of data and it is defintiely  showing up differences:

id: 59342497
URL: www.rightmove.co.uk//property-for-sale/property-59342497.html
Address: Barston Lane, Barston
Price: £1,695,000
Description: * Imposing Seven Bedroom Detached Victorian Residence With Detached Cottage Located Within The Grounds * Outstanding Private South Facing Gardens & Grounds Extending to Approx. 1.7 Acres With Uninterrupted Views to Open Fields * Main Residence Boasts Five Reception Rooms Including Living Room...
#########
id: 59342497
URL: www.rightmove.co.uk//property-for-sale/property-59342497.html
Address: Barston Lane, Barston
Price: £1,695,000
Description: * Imposing Seven Bedroom Detached Victorian Residence With Detached Cottage Located Within The Grounds * Outstanding Private South Facing Gardens & Grounds Extending to Approx. 1.7 Acres With Uninterrupted Views to Open Fields * Main Residence Boasts Five Reception Rooms Including Living Room...
#########

At some point with the database get's big enough it should flagging up price reductions and anything else we can think of

I'm not sure how to go about it but I think we can get the database centralized so data can be share.

The bloke who did it said we needed a big git, I suggested carney.

It's not as user friendly of PB but it's certainly quicker.  If one was so inclined they could probably trawl the full site and work out the actual average asking price !!!

TheCountOfNowhere

Picked up a couple of drops today

*** PRICE DROP £835000 to £799995 FOR 53578980 www.rightmove.co.uk//property-for-sale/property-53578980.html

*** PRICE DROP £315000 to £310000 FOR 72297572 www.rightmove.co.uk//property-for-sale/property-72297572.html

Seems to be working a treat.

more to follow.

TheCountOfNowhere

*** PRICE DROP £835000 to £799995 for: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53578980.html
Address: Cashio Lane, Letchworth Garden City
Description: SPACIOUS DETACHED MODERN FAMILY HOME \u2022 ENVIABLY LOCATED \u2022 FINE QUARTER ACRE GARDEN PLOT WITH GARDEN STUDIO \u2022 GOOD OFF-STREET PARKING AND DOUBLE GARAGE

*** PRICE DROP £315000 to £310000 for: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72297572.html
Address: Egrove Close, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Description: Situated just to the right of the development, the property is within a small block of flats on the ground floor. The property comprises of a spacious lounge/dining area with separate kitchen. French doors open out onto it's own private patio area. There are two double bedrooms within the propert...

*** PRICE DROP ****
Address: Tanfield Lane, Rushmere, Northampton, NN1
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71487779.html
Price: £450000 to £440000

Going to get the output posted to the housepricemania twitter account.

Green Devil
On 28/03/2018 at 12:12, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Mine appears to have auto updated to version 60b without asking me and even turning off updates (which doenst work with 60)

EDIT- rolled back to "Firefox Setup 56.0b9.exe" still working

Archived