• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Gigs - surprisingly good / bad

Music:

Surprisingly good: The Smiths 1984 - I was a big fan of indie music generally and The Smiths were at the forefront of this and I loved their songs. I was expecting a fairly quiet evening but it was an absolute party night.  Brilliant.

Surprisingly bad: U2 ?1996 - the warm up acts were PJ Harvey (okay) and Big Audio Dynamite (very good), U2 kept hanging it out, long delays, less popular songs, just dull.  And I like the band.  Walked out; the high spot of the day was the people on the gate when I left who said I might not be able to get back in.  I said "I don't wnat to get back in", to which their cheery response was "We might make you go back in!".

Comedy:

Surprisingly good: Roy Chubby Brown - I was dragged along to this, the tapes I'd heard of him were generally poor.  Endless filth and swearing with an absence of anything actually funny.  The live show was however something else; whilst the material was the same the timing and delivery was out of this world.  I genuinely laughed until it hurt.  I can't say the same of the other blue comedy gig I went to - Jethro - which was terrible.

Surprisingly bad: Count Arthur Strong - his radio shows are to my mind one of the funniest things on radio ever and my comedy listening spans 75 years all the way back to ITMA and The Men from the Ministry.  Live however he was jaw-droppingly bad.  He had no idea how to work an audience and just shuffled around the stage leaving awkward silences and generally filling time before putting up another video clip. Never again.

I'll nick a third category: Unsurprisingly good: I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue - I've been to three live recordings of this (six shows) and they were all superb.  I went to the live tour last year which was very good but did lack that spontaneous edge as it was the same material every night.

Music:

Good: My Bloody Valentine, The Jesus and Mary Chain (Blur and Dinosaur Junior were there too). 1992ish Great bands at their peak, on an ice rink covered with boards so it didn't get ridiculously hot in the crowd.

Bad: Paul Oakenfold, a year or so after the superb Goa Mix was released. Maybe he was hammered or there was a technical problem but he was completely unable to beatmix anything and half the time it was just this grinding mess of two tunes playing at once completely out of sync.

Comedy:

Good - Bill Bailey (Part troll tour) So musically talented and so funny.

Bad - First 10 minutes of some Amy Schumer thing on Netflix.

Unsurprisingly good:

The Book of Mormon stage show in London. As I exited the theatre my cheeks were almost cramping from such a long, uninterrupted period of laughing and smiling.

Good:

Eminem,  back in the day. I was never what you'd call a big fan but I can't deny he put on a good show.

Franz Ferdinand: Lively, were obviously having a great time and a good long encore. The entire band was on the drums at one point which was awesome.

Faithless: Just anthemically brilliant.

Fatboy slim: His old stuff still does it for me, not keen on his new offerings.

Bad:

Tim Westwood. A support act for another band. Put a CD on repeat and fucked off down the pub. When the same song came on for the third time, there was almost a riot.

U2. For a band with such good tunes this was very dull, very bland and very corporate. The musical equivalent of tupperware. Like Frank, we left early and weren't the only ones. Their Glastonbury number was diabolical. 

Cypress Hill. Got in a strop and fucked off half way through the second song.

Oasis. Got in a strop and fucked off half way through the first song. I absolutely detest the pair of them.

Kaiser Chiefs. Lead singer seemed wasted on something and it lacked any bite whatsoever. Very flat and dull. Crap.

Music:

Good: Judas Priest / Saxon at Hammersmith 2012. Got my ticket for about 18 quid off ebay and wasn't expecting much. They took my face off, and the setlist was superb.

Bad: Iron Maiden since about 2006. They are too doddery to keep in time any more. Singer bails them out more often than not.

Comedy:

Good - Rhod Gilbert live, believe it or not.

Bad - Jimmy Carr live. Enough said.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Music:

Surprisingly good: The Smiths 1984 - I was a big fan of indie music generally and The Smiths were at the forefront of this and I loved their songs. I was expecting a fairly quiet evening but it was an absolute party night.  Brilliant.

The Smiths was the first gig I ever went to (Queen Is Dead tour '86). What surprised me wasn't how good it was, but just how violent it was. There was a mini-riot at the end. I think they had a loyal following among repressed homosexual psychos.

Surprisingly bad: The Stone Roses 1989. Ian Brown sounded like a pet shop on fire. 

Awful:

REM at Glastonbury. They sounded and looked completely uninterested.

Velvet Underground at some huge stadium in the early 90s. Were there to make money and get out as quick as possible - Lou Reed said as much too.

Awesome:

Pixies when they were the unheard of support act for The Throwing Muses. Phenomenal gig, totally upstaged the Muses.

Cornelius (obscure Japanese sort of techno influenced guitar band). Completely unexpected force of nature. And I loved the way they all bowed at the end of the set and thanked the audience for listening.

Space at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Absolutely intense.

Forgot to add:-

Outstandingly good - Tom Jones.

I wasn't a fan at all but his was one of the best gigs I've heard. Amazing audience interaction, his singing was nigh on perfect (probably the best voice I've heard) and it was just a really, really high class gig. I almost threw my own pants on the stage at the end.

Will do comedy when I get back from work.

Comedy.

Good:

Ben Elton, tour de force. The only gig I've ever been to where I genuinely nearly wet myself laughing. The skit about the service station bogs and trying to get a seat on the train are pure genius.

Lee Evans- Very small warm up gig, probably 60 or so people there. Hilarious, lovely chap too, he milled about for an hour or afterwards so chatting to people.

Bad.

Russell Howard - Mentioned before, just infuriatingly right-on. He did a bit just after Lee Rigby was murdered and somehow turned it into a rant about the EDL. The knobs that did it never got a mention. Half the audience were laughing and the other half were shaking their heads in wonder and annoyance.

Holly - the single most excruciating thing I've ever seen on a stage. It was the guy who played 'Holly' in Red Dwarf and I think he thought he'd try his hand at stand up. His sketch basically consisted of him putting a Marvin the Martian voice on and dropping a hankie randomly on to the floor before pointing at it and shouting "life!" The rest was incomprehensible mumbling, shuffling about and sudden looks of surprise when he noticed the audience, who by this point, were cringing under the tables.

To say he died his arse would be an insult to dead arses. He was quietly led away and my mate, who was a massive Red Dwarf fan went to get his autograph as soon as he was off stage. The manager stopped him and when my mate explained, he was told...

"He's already gone and after that fucking performance he certainly won't be coming back".

8 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

The Book of Mormon stage show in London. As I exited the theatre my cheeks were almost cramping from such a long, uninterrupted period of laughing and smiling.

"Fuck you God"

Best ever. Randy Crawford. Hammersmith Apollo about 1987. By some kind of luck I got front row seats. Half way through, she sat at the front of the stage,about a yard away from me, and sang 'one day I'll fly away', 'Rainy night in Georgia' and 'Almaz'. Bloody incredible.

Very good. Pink Floyd. Rod Stewart. Meatloaf (many times).

Very very good. Queen just after the live aid concert.

Comedy. Kevin Bloody Wilson and Jasper Carott.

44 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Chubby Brown.

Any gig. Any year, Anywhere

Ever....

XYY

How do you make a good comic?

Make them work the stetch from Scarbs to Duthsm and pick the survivor after 5 years.

Chubby can wotk an aufience because hes had to. 

Take That Cirus Tour at Old Trafford. A genuine spectacular performance complete with trapeze acts, mechanical elephant etc. One of the best gigs I have ever been to.

Southampton Student Union managed to book Danny Rampling at short notice in about 1998, sold tickets at a fiver for a set from 8.30 - 10.30 or something. The setup was pretty much a school disco in the refectory room, it wasn't even that full IIRC. He completely nailed it, then wandered round the dancefloor afterwards with the remains of his rider, a 24-pack of bottled water, handing them out and chatting to people.