• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

4-5 hours a day on social media

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

How can it be possible?

That's a colossal chunk of someones day.

Perhaps the questions are what were they doing with that time before, and is not doing that thing going to be a problem?

IMO young people (myself included, sufficient years ago) do 'young people stuff', which includes listening to music, being depressed, hanging round with friends, playing computer games, watching crap tv, staring out of windows dreaming about 'getting out of here', etc.  They're probably just doing less of one or more of those and replacing it with social media.

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Ban the phones from school and see if that figure goes down?

No children I know are allowed to as much as glimpse at their phones at school.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Really? 

Yes.  Normal comprehensive/secondary.  If they get their phone out during the day (including lunch) it'll be confiscated.

27 minutes ago, dgul said:

Yes.  Normal comprehensive/secondary.  If they get their phone out during the day (including lunch) it'll be confiscated.

I'd love to see phone use stats of schoolies. Just to confirm this is the case.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

Perhaps the questions are what were they doing with that time before, and is not doing that thing going to be a problem?

IMO young people (myself included, sufficient years ago) do 'young people stuff', which includes listening to music, being depressed, hanging round with friends, playing computer games, watching crap tv, staring out of windows dreaming about 'getting out of here', etc.  They're probably just doing less of one or more of those and replacing it with social media.

In my day it was either “jumpers for goal posts” type stuff or being abused by Radio 1 DJ’s.

57 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I'm sure that it could be different at other school areas.  Just not this area.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Our comp banned cars from the car park for certain times at the beginning and end of the school day because the head was concerned one of the children might have an accident whilst browsing their phone on the way out. 

Finally, an answer to my perpetual question as to why everyone is so damned busy nowadays. If they aren't watching average 3 hours of TV a day they're spending 5 hours on Fakebook.

7 hours ago, dgul said:

They check FB when they are in the restrooms.

Nobody is going to stop them going there.

Well except for Misslauren...