• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

White British boys being 'left behind' in school

Angela appears to have gone off-message. Deselection imminent? ;)

White British boys being 'left behind' in school

White working class boys are at the “bottom of the heap,” according to Labour’s shadow secretary for education. Angela Rayner has said white boys are being left behind, as girls and ethnic groups are pushed to learn and succeed.

Rayner is herself from a working class background and left school at 16 when she became pregnant.  She  said that a cultural shift is needed to guide British boys from lower socioeconomic backgrounds to succeed. 

I think it’s because as we’ve tried to deal with some of the issues around race and women’s agendas, around tackling some of the discrimination that’s there, it has actually had a negative impact on the food chain for white working [class] boys,” she said. “They have not been able to adapt. Culturally, we are not telling them that they need to learn and they need to aspire.”

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

I think it’s because as we’ve tried to deal with some of the issues around race and women’s agendas, around tackling some of the discrimination that’s there, it has actually had a negative impact on the food chain for white working [class] boys,” she said. “They have not been able to adapt. Culturally, we are not telling them that they need to learn and they need to aspire.”

What do they need to adapt to?
Just put lipstick on and a skirt.

2 minutes ago, billfunk said:

It is almost as if they have already realised the futility of adhering to the English Scheme. Average boy gets average grades at GCSE then average grades at a-Level then goes to average Uni and gets an average grade 2.1/2.2 and leaves with an average debt of £30k-£50k whereupon he gets an average job, which over his lifetime averages out at £28K pa. Average boy then spends the best part of twenty years paying his landlord an average of £920 per month whilst paying back his student debts in addition. Once average boy is, maybe, 40 he has finally cleared most of his debt and may have enough money to put down a deposit on a shitty, small, badly built slavebox costing an average £225K. Average boy then works an average 27 years more. He finally pays his mortgage off and at 67 qualifies for state pension of £150 pw. If average boy is lucky he will live until 79 in his shitty slavebox with his shitty pension and then die peacefully in his sleep. If he is unlucky he will end up in some shithouse care home being tortured by minimum wage lackies and for this he will forfeit the slavebox he spent half his adult life paying for. His average son will now start back exactly where he had done 79 years earlier.

Not much of a fucking social contract is it?

Average boy decides at age 12 that all the above isn't really worth the effort. Can we blame him for that?

Quite the little ray of sunshine there o.O

19 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Blimey - you can grow bread?

Do you start from seeds or cuttings? - I fancy giving this a go. :D

Don't be daft. Yeast makes it grow. 

7 minutes ago, billfunk said:

It is almost as if they have already realised the futility of adhering to the English Scheme. Average boy gets average grades at GCSE then average grades at a-Level then goes to average Uni and gets an average grade 2.1/2.2 and leaves with an average debt of £30k-£50k whereupon he gets an average job, which over his lifetime averages out at £28K pa. Average boy then spends the best part of twenty years paying his landlord an average of £920 per month whilst paying back his student debts in addition. Once average boy is, maybe, 40 he has finally cleared most of his debt and may have enough money to put down a deposit on a shitty, small, badly built slavebox costing an average £225K. Average boy then works an average 27 years more. He finally pays his mortgage off and at 67 qualifies for state pension of £150 pw. If average boy is lucky he will live until 79 in his shitty slavebox with his shitty pension and then die peacefully in his sleep. If he is unlucky he will end up in some shithouse care home being tortured by minimum wage lackies and for this he will forfeit the slavebox he spent half his adult life paying for. His average son will now start back exactly where he had done 79 years earlier.

Average boy decides at age 12 that all the above isn't really worth the effort. Can we blame him for that?

Brilliant! I might just have to nick that. All you missed out was his ill-advised marriage and subsequent divorce downgrading the slave box to a bedsit.

20 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Brilliant! I might just have to nick that. All you missed out was his ill-advised marriage and subsequent divorce downgrading the slave box to a bedsit.

I thought you had a campervan?

;)

Edit: sorry it that was harsh. I'm sitting on my boat at the moment to get away from the Mrs. 

Edited by whitevanman

22 minutes ago, billfunk said:

Average boy decides at age 12 that all the above isn't really worth the effort. Can we blame him for that

Changing the parameters around a bit doesn't change the eventual outcome either. EG: Instead of renting Average boy could get a slavebox with H2B at age 20, pay that down for 20 years. If the average boy is truly average he could extend it to 30 years.

Average boy probably doesn't think about these things at age 12 though. I know I didn't. By the time most realise, it'll already be quite late into the party.

Massive regional variation in school funding.  This will have an effect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12175480

REGIONAL VARIATIONS

The figures also give average grant funding for schools in each local authority. Schools funding includes a London weighting, so unsurprisingly, areas in the capital lead the table.

The secondary schools list is topped by Tower Hamlets (£8,058 on average per pupil), followed by Hackney (£7,962) and Lambeth (£7,207). Knowsley in Merseyside receives the lowest, (with £3,790), followed by Solihull (£4,445) and Swindon (£4,563).

At primary level, the Isles of Scilly (£8,736), City of London (£7,401), and Tower Hamlets (£5,967) top the table, with South Gloucestershire (£3,328), Central Bedfordshire (£3,354) and Solihull (£3,432) at the bottom.

However, comparing these figures may be misleading, because of the exclusion of academies. A proportion of local authority funding is held back from most schools to provide services - for example support for children with special educational needs - at local authority level. But academies get access to their own share of this money, which can push their budgets up by 1% to 15%. Therefore, if a local authority has a lot of academies, it may spend more on its schools than the data suggests.

6 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Changing the parameters around a bit doesn't change the eventual outcome either. EG: Instead of renting Average boy could get a slavebox with H2B at age 20, pay that down for 20 years. If the average boy is truly average he could extend it to 30 years.

Average boy probably doesn't think about these things at age 12 though. I know I didn't. By the time most realise, it'll already be quite late into the party.

Bit of creative license used there. Average boy will be "sold" his future by his average Dad. If Dad has experienced the above, or spoken to relatives who have, it is likely he will pass on his apathy and defeat onto his son. In my experience shit like that does get passed on emotionally even if the verbal advice is completely different. 

"Son, you should really try your best to get into a good Uni"

"Yeah so I can get a shitty job in an office and come home and drink every night like you, Dad. No Thanks"

Young White Boys need a vision. At the moment the vision seems to be some mid-to-low level of purgatory. 

12 minutes ago, Ina said:

The issue is that until the late 70s there was always manual work available whether skilled or unskilled. There were proper apprenticeships and even the YTS.  It has gone.  Completely.  White working class lads have nothing.  No jobs in factories, pits, shipyards etc.  Just call centre crap to which they are temperamentally unsuited.

I feel very sorry for the young lads I see serving on the checkout in Tescos. Maybe it's just a temporary gig for them but they have such a look of defeat about them. Most jobs really are shit these days.