• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

Used to use it but ended up swapping to Redshift (http://jonls.dk/redshift/), for some reason I can't remember. Also use Twilight (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.lux&hl=en_GB) on my Android phone. There's also one for Apple too, but couldn't tell you what it is.

No idea if it aids my sleep, but it is good that when looking at the screen late at night, it's not like looking into the sun.

Edited by leggers
Add not remebering reason for swapping

I've used it (and tested it on others).  It 'works' in that it cuts the blue that would hinder onset of sleep.   But I find it a bit annoying and don't use it. I suppose I used it (and alternatives like it) for a few months.

You'd probably be better off adjusting ambient lighting as the evening progresses, and then adjusting screen brightness to match.  This used to be a bit of a hassle but these days you can use IOT lighting to get the effect.  I've not done that yet but I think I'll install something in the coming months.

And it messes up the flesh-tones at exactly the point where you'd like to be seeing them...

1 minute ago, shindigger said:

Cheers for the other suggestions. Will see how this goes. Its defo more restful. Do need one for the phone too i spose.

Phone displays are titchy so unless you're 12  and have the thing up against your nose it'll have a lower impact on sleep than a tablet or laptop.

Found it, used it for a while, but now, I just dim the screen to match the subdued background room lighting. (currently 5 clicks down from mac full screen brightness).

The thing that aids my sleep most is to completely, block out the light from the alarm clock radio, which makes a huge difference to whether I sleep all through the night or annoyingly, wake up half way through.

18 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Found it, used it for a while, but now, I just dim the screen to match the subdued background room lighting. (currently 5 clicks down from mac full screen brightness).

The thing that aids my sleep most is to completely, block out the light from the alarm clock radio, which makes a huge difference to whether I sleep all through the night or annoyingly, wake up half way through.

Having the alarm clock radio on all night, quietly humming away through a pillow speaker works wonders. Especially when it's that banal shite normally pumped out in the night. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Having the alarm clock radio on all night, quietly humming away through a pillow speaker works wonders. Especially when it's that banal shite normally pumped out in the night. 

Have you ever been tempted to put on an intellectual chat show and see if you wake up knowing a lot about Patagonian 18th century sculptors or something similar?

Re f.lux, I used to use it until the version I had stopped working with a newer OS, but I didn't really get on with it anyway. I still keep my Kindle dimmed right down though, as I like to read for a bit before going to sleep and the standard brightness is way too high.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Addicted to going to sleep with the radio on 'sleep' when at home. But it's blocking the clock's light out that makes the difference for me as to whether I sleep all night or wake up half way through. Don't need the radio if I'm away from home, which means I don't really need the radio at all.

Just now, Fully Detached said:

Have you ever been tempted to put on an intellectual chat show and see if you wake up knowing a lot about Patagonian 18th century sculptors or something similar?

Re f.lux, I used to use it until the version I had stopped working with a newer OS, but I didn't really get on with it anyway. I still keep my Kindle dimmed right down though, as I like to read for a bit before going to sleep and the standard brightness is way too high.

Where on earth would you find something intellectual to listen to?  

Posted (edited)

I use an app called "Twilight" on my android phone. Easy to use, works.

The theory behind these things is that towards sleep time the brain (pineal gland, I think?) starts to produce melatonin, the "sleep hormone". -- BUT if you are exposed to a particular frequency of blue light during this time before your sleep, it inhibits the production of melatonin and retards the onset of sleep and lessens its quality. So for an hour or so before you go to bed you should avoid blue light, and that's what these bits of software do. At least, they avoid exposure to blue light from your phone etc - if you have bright daylight-like bulbs then they'll inhibit melatonin production too, of course...

Edited by DocH

1 minute ago, Fully Detached said:

Not on this evening's University Challenge, that's for sure.

I quite like that Australian chappie on radio five once a week, dr Carl I think.  However he's getting a bit too Brian cox like recently. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I quite like that Australian chappie on radio five once a week, dr Carl I think.  However he's getting a bit too Brian cox like recently. 

Well we have our own Dr. Carl - you could listen to him?

When I retire to bed I have no lights on, all curtains closed and no devices switched on to watch. Occasionally I might put earplugs in to listen to something but with no light.

IMO it’s important, if you want to sleep, to have darkness. If you want to do other things then my opinion is shite.

10 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

When I retire to bed I have no lights on, all curtains closed and no devices switched on to watch. Occasionally I might put earplugs in to listen to something but with no light.

IMO it’s important, if you want to sleep, to have darkness. If you want to do other things then my opinion is shite.

You're right about the requirement for 'no light'

Another thing -- if you have any light during the night then it starts off the wake cycle -- so if you're off to the toilet (say) then keep all the lights off.  Just enough to see by is fine.

45 minutes ago, One percent said:

Where on earth would you find something intellectual to listen to?  

DOSBODS talking books. DOSBODS at bedtime.

With this weeks guest narrator, Rowan Atkinson.

And tonights programme.  "Deluded Scrapper Birds"

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Another thing -- if you have any light during the night then it starts off the wake cycle -- so if you're off to the toilet (say) then keep all the lights off.  Just enough to see by is fine.

Agreed. As an autumn years dosbodder I can attest that night time toilet visits become more frequent. This was a struggle during the changing years. I’d often lie in bed and procrastinate not wanting to get out. Now I just say to myself...just go! I never put any lights on now although I sometimes did in the past. It’s no big deal in my place, loo a few steps away and well accustomed to the very short journey so no lights needed.

It’s best from my experience to never put lights on at all when you want or need to sleep and when wanting to sleep is disturbed.

16 minutes ago, dgul said:

"Sloping to the bathroom, through the darkness of the landing

I sat down to have a piss, cos it was easier than standing."

Bevis Frond

What Did For The Dinosaurs

London

The 90s.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

The trick is to drink a fluorescent die with your supper. Then you can see your pee stream with just a UV light.

3 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Addicted to going to sleep with the radio on 'sleep' when at home. But it's blocking the clock's light out that makes the difference for me as to whether I sleep all night or wake up half way through. Don't need the radio if I'm away from home, which means I don't really need the radio at all.

I have this clock radio and you can dim the clock so it's pale or click it off completely. Just press the button again if you wake in the night and want to know what time it is. It doesn't effect the functions. It's a godsend for me. My old one used to keep me awake no matter how much I tried to cover it. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Groov-Alarm-Charger-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B00JY6WB3A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515113274&sr=8-5&keywords=clock+radio+with+usb

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Hopeful said:

many paranoid phycofreniacs keep the radios on all night where i work,it aparently helps them to ignore the voices they hear.some have 2 radios and the tv on before they can go sleep.i realy do need shooting for my spelling ffs

Edited by stokiescum