• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

stokiescum

usefull xmas presents

lets not count beer/spirits just total surprises that didnt involve hints to the buyer,ive droped on lucky last year i got a satnav and this xmas i got an electric blanket ,both things have turned out surprisingly usefull but are both things id never concider buying

I got a slow cooker, a replacement wok, some ceramic knives, a spiralizer and another cookbook.

If that lot had been given to a woman the shouts of 'sexist' would have woken Fanny Craddock.

But I was pleased with my haul.

2 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Not a present but I did start using our hotel ricer for mashed potato for the first time over the holiday. It is ace.

It's the only way. Rice it, fork in shit loads of butter and job done.

So much easier.

I got six bags of very nice ground coffee, three bars of 85% cocoa dark chocolate and a jar of locally produced honey. Well chuffed!

The best thing about a constantly raining Xmas day for me though was making the best of it spending a nice civilised time chatting and sitting at the table enjoying a lovely meal.

11 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I got a slow cooker, a replacement wok, some ceramic knives, a spiralizer and another cookbook.

If that lot had been given to a woman the shouts of 'sexist' would have woken Fanny Craddock.

But I was pleased with my haul.

My partner got a slow cooker a few years back. Since I knew his mother was getting that for him, I got him a recipe book, which was/is apparently very good. I can find out which one it was if you want to know later on once you've got up and running with it.

Must be time we got a new wok. A decent one this time. After I've cooked with them a few times, they develop this kind of "silver dust-bowl" appearance. Maybe it's something I'm doing.

In the meantime, cook up one of these with some rice in your new slow cooker to go with it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/potato_and_pea_curry_19537

Use decent passata and follow the recipe exactly and ye shall be rewarded.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

My partner got a slow cooker a few years back. Since I knew his mother was getting that for him, I got him a recipe book, which was/is apparently very good. I can find out which one it was if you want to know later on once you've got up and running with it.

Must be time we got a new wok. A decent one this time. After I've cooked with them a few times, they develop this kind of "silver dust-bowl" appearance. Maybe it's something I'm doing.

In the meantime, cook up one of these with some rice in your new slow cooker to go with it.

Can't. Gone low carb and that is the very opposite!

But thanks, so far butter chicken and a pulled shoulder of pork have been hits.

And Tbh, cookbooks are no longer needed. My kindle is all I could ever need. And I already have about 150 of the things!

Edited by Cunning Plan

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Can't. Gone low carb and that is the very opposite!

But thanks, so far butter chicken and a pulled shoulder of pork have been hits.

And Tbh, cookbooks are no longer needed. My kindle is all I could ever need. And I already have about 150 of the things!

I’m glad you’ve had some slow cooker hits already.

I’ve used one for years and wouldn’t be without it. I use it most days for something.

Tomorrow I’m having slow cooked shoulder of lamb. I’ll push some garlic and rosemary into slits made in the lamb, chuck it in the slow cooker with a little water for a few hours then finish it in the oven for an hour with some roast potatoes. Served with steamed green veg and gravy made from the juice it’s yummy. Not a good method for leg of lamb though, shoulder is ideal for slow cooking.

15 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Have you stitched them together into some sort of video wall in the kitchen?

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

Have you stitched them together into some sort of video wall in the kitchen?

I knew that was ambiguous when I typed it.

Thought it would be 1% that called me out though!

the x left a slow cooker here are they easy to use,im feeling adventerouse after doing myself a xmas day fry up,however if it costs more than a quid a meal im not interested.

12 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

the x left a slow cooker here are they easy to use,im feeling adventerouse after doing myself a xmas day fry up,however if it costs more than a quid a meal im not interested.

My partner takes a packet of rice and puts it in the machine. About 90 minutes later it beeps and he gets edible fluffy rice out of it.

That's about all I know.

I'm actually allergic to rice, so I don't eat it.

I have a feeling it's capable of more than this.

20 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Woks cost £1.02 per meal. Sorry.

19 minutes ago, DTMark said:

My partner takes a packet of rice and puts it in the machine. About 90 minutes later it beeps and he gets edible fluffy rice out of it.

That's about all I know.

I'm actually allergic to rice, so I don't eat it.

I have a feeling it's capable of more than this.

sounds a lot of effert for some rice my ding does that in 2 mins,saying that i do fish fingers in the ding.

17 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Woks cost £1.02 per meal. Sorry.

if a wok is basicly a big frying pan ive got one.go me...

Posted (edited)

Slow cookers are excellent for the singleton. They make everything taste good, and the cost per serving can be just a few tens of pennies. I've put large joints of ham or beef in before, and, even though the device sits at 70degC (just measured in with my IR thermometer), it cooks, and I haven't died of food poisoning.  Perhaps a slow cooker thread would have legs?

Edited by Everentt

10 minutes ago, Everentt said:

Slow cookers are excellent for the singleton. They make everything taste good, and the cost per serving can be just a few tens of pennies. I've put large joints of ham or beef in before, and, even though the device sits at 70degC (just measured in with my IR thermometer), it cooks, and I haven't died of food poisoning.  Perhaps a slow cooker thread would have legs?

I'd be interested. I might go and dig out that cook book, it must have more than rice recipes in it.

Is it mostly useful for meat? (We're both vegetarians)

7 hours ago, DTMark said:

I'd be interested. I might go and dig out that cook book, it must have more than rice recipes in it.

Is it mostly useful for meat? (We're both vegetarians)

Not exclusively, but that is really where it shines. It's great for turning cheap cuts of meat in to fantastic meals.

9 hours ago, DTMark said:

Do you have a carbon steel wok ? If so you need to "season" it before use.

Have a YouTube. It's basically burning off oil over it all so it gives it a shiny non stick type coating. 

All the Chinese do this so that's good enough for me.  

13 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I knew that was ambiguous when I typed it.

Thought it would be 1% that called me out though!

Sadly, I had retired for the evening so missed it  :)

I got 12 very nice wines from majestic.  The kids chose them.  They chose them by the niceness of the label but they are always very good  

56 minutes ago, One percent said:

Sadly, I had retired for the evening so missed it  :)

I got 12 very nice wines from majestic.  The kids chose them.  They chose them by the niceness of the label but they are always very good  

Bit of a torture if you have given up drinking in the week - how is it going?