• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

John Worboys + (very) serial offenders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42574651

If he'd raped one person than I guess a 10 year sentence would be OKish - bit low but he's on license for the other 10.

However ..... he was charged with rapes/assaults of 19.

Police say there are 100s - well, Id not put much in the way of what Police say. The police need to be bring those '100' of cases and prosecuting him.

Surely for vilolent attacks, once you go over 2 then the number of attack need to be reflected in the sentece?

Yes seems very lenient.

However there are also loads of female prisoners who get incredibly lenient sentences. In fact some of them don't even get jailed.

Does Yvette Cooper make comment on them ?

Rhetorical question by the way. 

This is getting coverage as it's bad bloke Vs woman victims. 

Other way around I doubt it would even be mentioned.

He is portrayed as a multiple rapist because police believe he is. Therefore he is a multiple rapist. I suspect very soon after he is released, another previous victim will come along and he will be found guilty again and sent back to jail for probably another 10 years. Now maybe the end justifies the means in this case, but it surely is another guilty by social media case. Seem to recall celebrity cases what just as they are due for release another survivor comes forward and he's  found guilty again.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2017/07/29/telford-sex-gang-ringleader-mubarek-ali-set-to-be-freed-early/

Telford sex gang ringleader Mubarek Ali set to be freed early

By Sophie Madden | Telford | Crime | Published: Jul 29, 2017 | Last Updated: Jul 31, 2017

Telford sex gang ringleader Mubarek Ali was today identified as the offender preparing to be released just five years into a 22-year jail sentence.

Read more at https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2017/07/29/telford-sex-gang-ringleader-mubarek-ali-set-to-be-freed-early/#DT3ZWVXzwkrukZwP.99

1 hour ago, NewryH said:

He is portrayed as a multiple rapist because police believe he is. Therefore he is a multiple rapist. I suspect very soon after he is released, another previous victim will come along and he will be found guilty again and sent back to jail for probably another 10 years. Now maybe the end justifies the means in this case, but it surely is another guilty by social media case. Seem to recall celebrity cases what just as they are due for release another survivor comes forward and he's  found guilty again.

Weellll ... lets compare and contrast:

Rolf Harris - 6 years for something pretty vague.

Adam Johnston - 6 years for putting his hands in the pants of schooly he met at an (over 18) nightclub.

John Worbuy - 20 for raping/sexually assaulting 18 women.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Weellll ... lets compare and contrast:

Rolf Harris - 6 years for something pretty vague.

Adam Johnston - 6 years for putting his hands in the pants of schooly he met at an (over 18) nightclub.

John Worbuy - 20 for raping/sexually assaulting 18 women.

Don't get me wrong.  I think his sentence was lenient and he shouldn't  be out, especially if his sentence is compared to the others. My point is though that it is now 'accepted' that he is a serial rapist without any trial.  Any person saying they were in his cab can say they were raped and there will not be any challenge.

Possibly the wrong case to bring this up though and I certainly wouldn't  want him living anywhere near me.

1 hour ago, NewryH said:

There is likely to be at least one ore victim. And I would assume the plod already know who they are, and more than likely gathered the evidence at the time but didn't feel the need to pursue them all.

I assume given that he didn't have the '80 other cases taken into consideration' at his trial he can be tried again.

So I don't think he will be out for long.

I don't really care if people think he won't get a fair trial. He should have got life in the first place. Two wrongs might, in this case, make a right.

BTW He keeps being called a taxi driver. Was he black cab or minicab?

19 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

There is likely to be at least one ore victim. And I would assume the plod already know who they are, and more than likely gathered the evidence at the time but didn't feel the need to pursue them all.

I assume given that he didn't have the '80 other cases taken into consideration' at his trial he can be tried again.

So I don't think he will be out for long.

I don't really care if people think he won't get a fair trial. He should have got life in the first place. Two wrongs might, in this case, make a right.

BTW He keeps being called a taxi driver. Was he black cab or minicab?

Black cab.

7 minutes ago, This Time said:

Black cab.

Ah. That would explain why whenever they compare sexual assaults by Uber v Black cab they start the comparison from about 9 years ago.

Bit like stating the safety of cruise liners starting from 1913 :) 

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Ah. That would explain why whenever they compare sexual assaults by Uber v Black cab they start the comparison from about 9 years ago.

Bit like stating the safety of cruise liners starting from 1913 :) 

Never would have happened in a minicab or Uber, or at least not for as long because he would have been a lot more traceable and reports would have been linked.

2 hours ago, NewryH said:

Agreed , I find the guilty because the police or social media say so ,very worrying

If the police have the evidence put it before a court

I note Harvey and Kevin have yet to be charged with anything but are regularly reported as being guilty 

He won't be getting his taxi badge back, and I daresay he will be on the sex offender's register for life. I don't know how IPPs work(ed) but it wouldn't surprise me if he was out on licence, like a lifer would be if they were released.

The parole board clearly think he is no longer a threat, otherwise they would not have released him, there has been no successful legal challenge to his inderterminate sentence as far as I know.

He may well get charged for more of the crimes and sent back to prison, and I wouldn't shed any tears for him if so. But I'm not seeing any egregious failures of the system so far.

It's about the system, not the man, same with Harris, Saville etc. 

Clearly a dangerous individual, but the was tried and served whatever punishment he was given. He didn't decide it was 10 years, somebody else did. 

If he committed 100 rapes then put those charges to him a court of law. Prove he did it, if you can't then you can't then go round saying he's committed them. From what I have seen of discussion else where people seem to think he has served 10 years for 100 rapes, he was convicted of one. 

We have a fair and balanced legal system or we don't, I'd prefer one where I have a change to defend myself of any accusation, rather than one which convicts based on social media hearsay or what the police think*. 

Don't take this as sympathy for him, couldn't give a shit about him, can rot in hell for all I care. 

* They may well be correct, I've little doubt they are but if you read up on what actually happened in this case then the police are just covering their own arse given then got it so very wrong in the first place. https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2018/01/why-women-are-so-angry-about-release-black-cab-rapist-john-worboys

Edited by gilf

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42803547

'Victims of John Worboys were given written assurances about how long he would spend in jail after he was convicted, it has emerged.

The CPS told victims the indeterminate term he received was "to all intents and purposes" a life sentence.

Letters featuring the details, sent to his victims, have been seen by the So-Called BBC.

Worboys, 60, was jailed for a minimum term of eight years in 2009 for drugging and sexually assaulting women passengers.'

Whoops.

On 05/01/2018 at 09:22, NewryH said:

I'd suggest that this might be punishment for not coming clean of all your crimes at the start.  If you're up for 19 and then, as soon as you're about to be let out another 4 appear, though -- you're going back inside.

And, frankly, I do believe he is a serial sex offender with far more than the 19 cases on his belt.  If he's not fessed up to some then fine -- he can wait and rot until they're all worked through.

However, that said...

On 05/01/2018 at 06:59, Frank Hovis said:

I can't believe he's being let out after what he did.

We don't need to go all the way to "three strikes and you're out" but surely hundreds of strikes means you're out for good.

I do believe that if there is evidence of serious rehabilitation, then they should be released after serving their tariff.  But there should be much more sympathy for the victims -- I'd suggest a lifetime ban on going to any city where there was even a single victim.  I'd also suggest that they're given a new identity (just to stop the gawkers, nothing else).

Finally, for a serious offender like this, I'd also demand a lifetime of close supervision.  I appreciate that it is expensive, but cheaper than incarceration.

On 1/5/2018 at 09:23, onlyme said:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2017/07/29/telford-sex-gang-ringleader-mubarek-ali-set-to-be-freed-early/

Telford sex gang ringleader Mubarek Ali set to be freed early

By Sophie Madden | Telford | Crime | Published: Jul 29, 2017 | Last Updated: Jul 31, 2017

Telford sex gang ringleader Mubarek Ali was today identified as the offender preparing to be released just five years into a 22-year jail sentence.

Read more at https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2017/07/29/telford-sex-gang-ringleader-mubarek-ali-set-to-be-freed-early/#DT3ZWVXzwkrukZwP.99

Google 'John Worboys BBC' and you get 12 stories all in the last 24 hours. 

Google 'Mubarek Ali  BBC' and you get 4 stories, the most recent from 2013. 

I wonder why?