• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Sgt Hartman

Slow cooker recipe thread.

I saw on another thread that a few folk had one of these and (like me) received one for Christmas.

I've only used it the once to make butter chicken curry which was lovely and I'm going to be hitting it with a brisket of beef and red wine later on. 

Any marvellous slow-cooker creations? Let's hear them!

2 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I have a question - how do people thicken up their stews in the slow cooker?  I have taken to using rice and barley, but it seems an unanswered problem online//

Little bit of cornflour whisked in?

Can be an arse to get the lumps out but does the job. 

Either that or add a bit of flour to the meat when browning it.

Edit - 'cornflower' ffs.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

4 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I have a question - how do people thicken up their stews in the slow cooker?  I have taken to using rice and barley, but it seems an unanswered problem online//

Less water in the first place is the starting point as you don`t boil it off like you would in a saucepan and as Sarge suggests a bit of cornflour on the meat  

30 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Little bit of cornflour whisked in?

Can be an arse to get the lumps out but does the job. 

Either that or add a bit of flour to the meat when browning it.

Edit - 'cornflower' ffs.

If you are going to add cornflour, take a little liquid out (or use a little warm water) and mix the flour in well before returning to the stew.

Should be lump free that way.

I'll be doing beef cheeks on Sunday. James Martin's recipe but cooked in the slow cooker for 10 hours instead of the oven for 5. We are out walking all day so it will go on before we leave at 9.00am and the house will be full of meaty, beefy aroma when we get in at 5.00, and the tender, juicy meal will be ready for 7.00pm with a beer. Perfect. Can't wait. Can almost smell it now.

Edited by Hopeful

Isn't there one of these type of things that's a bit of a current fad. The idea of chucking a turnip, some unpeeled potatoes, a scraggy old cut of meat and a rusty old spanner, in an electric pot, or something, switching it on then returning to find some restaurant quality meal, although highly appealing, seems somewhat dubious to me. 

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Isn't there one of these type of things that's a bit of a current fad. The idea of chucking a turnip, some unpeeled potatoes, a scraggy old cut of meat and a rusty old spanner, in an electric pot, or something, switching it on then returning to find some restaurant quality meal, although highly appealing, seems somewhat dubious to me. 

I think restaurants usually leave out the spanner

5 minutes ago, SNACR said:

It's not rocket science, it's just a much more convenient (and slightly safer) way to cook a stew/casserole style dish. I doubt many people are keen on leaving he oven on for hours on end, but seem fine with a slow cooker. 

It's hit and miss in my experience, I've had some great stuff and some not so great stuff out of mine. 

Edited by gilf

3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Don't think so  - my neighbour 30 years ago loved his. He was a pilot - bunged on the slow cooker, couple of quick flights to Nice and back and home for a decent meal.

My son is looking forward the whole chicken thing - some scrunched up balls of tin foil on the bottom - bung in whole chicken - come home from school and nice and juicy chicken to devour.

5 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Don't think so  - my neighbour 30 years ago loved his. He was a pilot - bunged on the slow cooker, couple of quick flights to Nice and back and home for a decent meal.

My son is looking forward the whole chicken thing - some scrunched up balls of tin foil on the bottom - bung in whole chicken - come home from school and nice and juicy chicken to devour.

Couldn't you use a couple of spanners instead of tinfoil ?

For authenticity.

In fact, that has given me an idea for a trivet - now where is my welder.....

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Couldn't you use a couple of spanners instead of tinfoil ?

For authenticity.

In fact that has given me an idea for a trivet - now where is my welder.....

Sadly I currently have one inept son. Wouldn't actually know what a spanner is. Tin foil is pushing my luck!

Luckily the other one is mechanically literate.

Some recipes for the low carbers.

I like this recipe (I use top rump or silverside), it also works as carnitas with pork shoulder (less than 60p a portion stokie):

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/chipotles-barbacoa-copycat-recipe-472445

This is also quite good and dead easy:

http://gwens-nest.com/crock-pot-chicken-recipes-lemon-garlic-chicken/

This was very nice with the addition of some chilli flakes. (Anything I've tried from that site has been good):

http://cavemanketo.com/chicken-chili-soup/

Edited by This Time
Autocucumber

I use Cornflour to thicken but also use seasoned flour when browning any meat.  I sometimes take the lid of during the last hour or so of cooking too.  I love my slow cooker, especially on a weekend during the winter.  I can bung a load of ingredients in it on the morning, go out for the day and come home to a lovely hot meal.  Chilli is especially good done in the slow cooker.

7 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

I use Cornflour to thicken but also use seasoned flour when browning any meat.  I sometimes take the lid of during the last hour or so of cooking too.  I love my slow cooker, especially on a weekend during the winter.  I can bung a load of ingredients in it on the morning, go out for the day and come home to a lovely hot meal.  Chilli is especially good done in the slow cooker.

Yes - chilli is my next thing - my slow cooker is huge so guess I can do about 12 portions and freeze a load.

For low carb this looks appealing (thanks @This Timefor the lead)

http://cavemanketo.com/caveman-chili/

5 hours ago, wherebee said:

On the stove top it'd be the stirring that crumbles the veg edges into the  gravy. don't get that with a slow cooker. always found it disappointing.

On 05/01/2018 at 15:09, Cunning Plan said:

Yes - chilli is my next thing - my slow cooker is huge so guess I can do about 12 portions and freeze a load.

For low carb this looks appealing (thanks @This Timefor the lead)

http://cavemanketo.com/caveman-chili/

Did you try it in the end? I used some of the modifications in the comments and it was very good (1.2kg of mince, 140g of tomato puree, one green pepper, 100g of celery and the spice mix with cocoa).

15 minutes ago, This Time said:

Did you try it in the end? I used some of the modifications in the comments and it was very good (1.2kg of mince, 140g of tomato puree, one green pepper, 100g of celery and the spice mix with cocoa).

No - not tried it yet but thanks for the reminder - may have a crack at it next weekend if the kids are around!

31 minutes ago, mattydread said:

Airfryers - I know it's a different device but thought we could merge it into this thread. Just bought one - anyone on here have any favourite recipes, tip etc 

Do these things use any oil at all, and by that I mean is it at least possible to use them without oil? I love sweet potato fries and would like to be able to make a healthy version.