• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Carl Fimble

Money making, and saving

Stupid poll  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What are you?

• Big
    • Small
    • Medium sized
    • Wide
    • Narrow
    • Middle width
    • Brilliant
    • Dull
    • Sharp
    • Dull
    • Engaged
    • Disengaged
    • Fast
    • Slow
    • Average
    • Amazing
    • Shit

I saw this :

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-miscellaneous-goods/huge-joblot-shop-market-stock-yale-diy-light-bulbs-electrical-switches-curtain-accessories-etc/1278862632

and thought I would post it in case someone on here would like to buy it and then sell it gradually on ebay or whatever. I would maybe be buying it if I had any money, sounds like quite a lot of stuff for £700, or £695 or whatever they have it on for.

I was just going to give this thread the title "Gumtree finds" or something but thought we could maybe have a thread with all sorts of ideas for money making, or saving. You lot can fill it up with amazing things and one day I will sell the thread for a fortune, kinda like that Martin MoneySavingExpert Guy.

© Carl Fimble 2018

All rights reserved

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

You lot can fill it up with amazing things and one day I will sell the thread for a fortune,

Well done Carl - I think you are learning - first rule of getting rich seems to be get someone else to do all the hard graft.

Edited by Cunning Plan

8 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Well done Carl - I think you are learning - first rule of getting rich seems to be get someone else to do all the hard graft.

*** Thread moderator ***

Thanks!

That's a great tip  Cunning Plan , does anyone else have any hints and tips which might prove useful to our readers?

The Money Making and Saving thread, all your needs in one place!

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Capitalism...

*** Thread moderator ***

Thanks!

That's a great tip  One percent , does anyone else have any hints and tips which might prove useful to our readers?

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

*** Thread moderator ***

Thanks!

That's a great tip  Cunning Plan , does anyone else have any hints and tips which might prove useful to our readers?

*** Thread moderator ***

Thanks!

That's a great tip  One percent , does anyone else have any hints and tips which might prove useful to our readers?

I see you have found out how to copy and paste there Carl.  

Selling your body?  Not in the traditional sense.  Put on loads of weight and get rid of the spare bits  o.O:Sick1:

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

*** Thread moderator ***

Thanks!

*** Thread moderator ***

Thanks!

RRP = on drugs 

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

I see you have found out how to copy and paste there Carl.  

Selling your body?  Not in the traditional sense.  Put on loads of weight and get rid of the spare bits  o.O:Sick1:

Eh, no, that's a mental idea, sick even! I'm just going to keep working away to make money, just thought that sounded like a lot of stuff for £700.

4 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

RRP = on drugs 

Yeah, but then the amount of stuff, is it maybe not as good a deal as I had thought?

23 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Yeah, probably right, I'm thinking this year might be the year I get somebody to help me at work, just as a sub contractor though- they are totally separate from me and my business, just invoice me once a month for the hours they have done. I don't really like the idea of it but there is lots to be done and it doesn't need to be me doing it all, just the really difficult and skillful stuff!

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Take out as much cash as you can on your credit card. Buy Bitcoin.

By Christmas, either retire to the Caribbean or go bankrupt.

Or do both.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Take out as much cash as you can on your credit card. Buy Bitcoin.

By Christmas, either retire to the Caribbean or go bankrupt.

You can't really lose.

This is NOT advice.

Credit card!!! I'm not allowed credit cards!!

Your Bitcoin advice could be good or bad but I am advising against it for others. I have barely two pennies to rub together so it's completely out the question for me anyway.

^ This is NOT advice either.

This, however is * :

Get to 18 and build up as good a credit rating as you possibly can, get as many credit cards and unsecured debts as you can, pull all available credit available out and turn it into things which you can make disappear, bump all the debts. Wait 6 years until your credit file is clear of all the "black marks" and either rinse and repeat, or just start living normally, but with the spoils of your first bump available to you.

Banks are cunts and just make money appear from thin air anyway, so fuck them.

* NOT REALLY ADVICE

Discuss....

:ph34r:

Your Bitcoin advice could be good or bad but I am advising against it for others. I have barely two pennies to rub together so it's completely out the question for me anyway.

I think this is what the coiners don't understand. They have money that they could afford to lose. I have some cash at the moment but probably need it to finance my business in 6 months time - so I cannot afford to take any risks. But that makes me a no-coiner loser.

If it does pan out well I see it in much the same way as the utilities sell off - a way of giving money to those that already had more than they needed whilst passing over those that couldn't afford a risk.

As usual, it is not about being intelligent. It is about having spare capital in the first place. Bit like BTL really.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

I think this is what the coiners don't understand. They have money that they could afford to lose. I have some cash at the moment but probably need it to finance my business in 6 months time - so I cannot afford to take any risks. But that makes me a no-coiner loser.

If it does pan out well I see it in much the same way as the utilities sell off - a way of giving money to those that already had more than they needed whilst passing over those that couldn't afford a risk.

As usual, it is not about being intelligent. It is about having spare capital in the first place. Bit like BTL really.

Yes, good post, lots of these people will think of themselves as very clever investors when that is not necessarily the case, at all.

43 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Eh, no, that's a mental idea, sick even! I'm just going to keep working away to make money, just thought that sounded like a lot of stuff for £700.

Yeah, but then the amount of stuff, is it maybe not as good a deal as I had thought?

Just price some off those things on ebay my money is on you would get the lot for under half of what they reckon the RRP is 

Then take off P&P eBay pay-pal fees 

Then ask yourself why are they selling as a job lot rather than going down the ebay route ...philanthropists ?

14 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Just price some off those things on ebay my money is on you would get the lot for under half of what they reckon the RRP is 

Then ask yourself why are they selling as a job lot rather than going down the ebay route ...philanthropists ?

As you say, most of it probably not worth the margin to create separate auctions for it - for example the electrical/tv outlets - £10 a pop, not worth it, might get £3-4, you'd spend all your time parcelling it up and making fees for Ebay//Paypal/costs. The larger item stuff and locks etc - would have thought no problem reeling those for say half RRP but the rest you'd just want to clear the decks with and flog off at car boot (maybe sell direct to traders at car boot to make it easier).  I can see why there are job lots - make a margin on larger lots and couldn't;t be bothered with listing themselves and doing the legwork, especially if you can reliably get more,  it all takes space and time.

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

Credit card!!! I'm not allowed credit cards!!

^ This is NOT advice either.

This, however is * :

Get to 18 and build up as good a credit rating as you possibly can, get as many credit cards and unsecured debts as you can, pull all available credit available out and turn it into things which you can make disappear, bump all the debts. Wait 6 years until your credit file is clear of all the "black marks" and either rinse and repeat, or just start living normally, but with the spoils of your first bump available to you.

Banks are cunts and just make money appear from thin air anyway, so fuck them.

* NOT REALLY ADVICE

Discuss....

:ph34r:

You have to spend money to make money. That's the number 1 rule that people overlook. 

Once you've got money it's easy to make more by investing it. Most people never get the chance!

1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

Yeah,then divide the profit by the number of hours spent packing, dealing with each sale, going to the post office, etc. Might end up as not very much per hour.

16 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yeah,then divide the profit by the number of hours spent packing, dealing with each sale, going to the post office, etc. Might end up as not very much per hour.

Your best bet is dealing with higher value items.  I used to deal with a load of consoles with stacks of games.  Split the games out, and attempt to make profit from that.  Alternatively, try your hand at matched betting & bingo, so you dont have to go through this rigmarole.

5 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Your best bet is dealing with higher value items.  I used to deal with a load of consoles with stacks of games.  Split the games out, and attempt to make profit from that.  Alternatively, try your hand at matched betting & bingo, so you dont have to go through this rigmarole.

I suspect you are right, this wasn't for me though, I have no time for that kind of thing, or any money to be putting into it.

I have never tried bingo, I reckon I would quite like it though.

I suspect you are right, this wasn't for me though, I have no time for that kind of thing, or any money to be putting into it.

I have never tried bingo, I reckon I would quite like it though.

With Bingo, you want to make money from the Welcome Bonuses.  I did an experiment with matched betting & bingo for a month last September, and made £365 from a few hours work that month.  I'll try and get back into it later on in the year if I have enough time.

14 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

There`s good money in that regarding mountain bikes they are more often than not worth far more in component parts than they are in one piece 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

There`s good money in that regarding mountain bikes they are more often than not worth far more in component parts than they are in one piece 

I had to clear out an an elderly family member flat at the end of 2016, before they went into home.  They had about 150 books.  So I put them on Amazon.  In the last year, I've sold probably 25 books.  Some you barely make your costs back, others, you're lucky to make a fiver each.  The other problem is that they take up so much space... They are becoming a right pain in the arse.  

Edited by Dave Beans

Just now, Dave Beans said:

I had to clear out an an elderly family member flat at the end of last year, before they went into home.  They had about 150 books.  So I put them on Amazon.  In the last year, I've sold probably 25 books.  Some you barely make your costs back, others, you're lucky to make a fiver each.  The other problem is that they take up so much space...

Place I used to live a neighbour (never did see him) bought the house to contain - books. Never lived in, never rented out whist he owned it.

Buy that lot. Stick it all together with hot glue. Spray paint it.

Invite some celebs for photo shoot. Sell it for £50K to a council friend for as an "art" vanity project for them to use. Make sure a % goes to a charity for added bonus.

1 minute ago, Dave Beans said:

I had to clear out an an elderly family member flat at the end of 2016, before they went into home.  They had about 150 books.  So I put them on Amazon.  In the last year, I've sold probably 25 books.  Some you barely make your costs back, others, you're lucky to make a fiver each.  The other problem is that they take up so much space... They are becoming a right pain in the arse.  

cut the middle out of them and sell them as secure storage devices, much in demand in these troubled times