• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

How old were you when you first got behind a wheel?

As per title, from albeeb 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39587853

An eight-year old boy in Ohio safely drove his little sister to McDonald's after learning to drive from YouTube, local news report.

Ohio's Morning Journal said police received calls from residents about a child driving through town.

Staff at the restaurant thought they were the victims of a prank when the underage pair stopped at the drive-through window, the paper added.

The boy obeyed all traffic lights and laws, witnesses said.

"He didn't hit a single thing on the way there. It was unreal," police officer Jacob Koehler, from the village of East Palestine, said.

The child told police he had learned to drive by watching YouTube videos.

The boy drove 1.5 miles (2.4km), covering four intersections, railway tracks, and several turns, Mr Koehler told Cleveland news outlet Fox8.

The children's parents were asleep at home, reports said, when the siblings decided to take the vehicle keys.

The two children got cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets while they waited to be picked up by family. No charges were filed.

he will go far with that level of initiate at 8. xD

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

I drove my dad's car up and down the driveway (with him in the passenger seat) when I was 10. It had a manual gearbox which I managed not to crunch horribly too.

That must have been a long driveway 

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

It was! Well, actually more of a lane but it wasn't a public right of way so it was legal for me to drive on it.

Excellent for practising then.  When I was about six, my dad would sit me in his knee and let me steer the car. O.o  on the public highway. Great fun. But would not get away with it now. 

IIRC you can legally drive in some states (?all) of the US from fourteen if you are the only one in your family able to do so.

So if you were the eldest child of a single parent who couldn't drive for some reason then you were legally allowed to do so if you passed the test.

This reflects the absence of public transport and how habitation is often very remote from facilities in the US owing to the huge amounts of land.

I remembered correctly; they're called hardship licences:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_licenses_in_the_United_States

Edited by Frank Hovis

38 minutes ago, One percent said:

Excellent for practising then.  When I was about six, my dad would sit me in his knee and let me steer the car. O.o  on the public highway. Great fun. But would not get away with it now. 

Similar for me. Actually, the first and last time I got behind the wheel of a car.

11 minutes ago, SCC said:

Similar for me. Actually, the first and last time I got behind the wheel of a car.

I think it was quite common for dads to do that.  Now, you would probably find yourself doing time for it.

a mate of mine when her dad went round a corner, the door sprang open and she went rolling off down the road.  Before the days of seatbelts and child locks. It's a surprise we are all still here. 

I was six when I was driving one of these (my dad had a grass cutting contract with a local council at the time)...The council got many complaints from concerned residents....Picked me up after school, did a few gardens, and paid me with a couple of curly whirlies...

attachment.php?attachmentid=74120&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1249674011

I got my first motorbike aged 8...I couldn't even lift it up when I came off it...

Just now, Dave Beans said:

I was six when I was driving one of these (my dad had a grass cutting contract with a local council at the time)...The council got many complaints from concerned residents....Picked me up after school, did a few gardens, and paid me with a couple of curly whirlies...

attachment.php?attachmentid=74120&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1249674011

I got my first motorbike aged 8...I couldn't even lift it up when I came off it...

Were those curly whirles much bigger then than now or have we just grown.  I think there is some shrink deflation going on.

Total respect, we will be sending you to maccy ds when we need fast food :) 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Were those curly whirles much bigger then than now or have we just grown.  I think there is some shrink deflation going on.

Total respect, we will be sending you to maccy ds when we need fast food :) 

I lived on six acres of land back in the day...I could muck about on tractors or mowers, or whatever... I also had a half sized football pitch in the "garden"..Made with full-sized goals...

Edited by Dave Beans

I can't remember exactly, but I was 11 or maybe just turned 12. My mum had bought a 2CV partly so that we could all have fun driving it round the 5 acre paddock behind my Grandad's house. Amazingly enough I managed to persuade her to buy me a field bike for my 13th birthday which provided years of entertainment every time we went to visit Grandad until it finally became unrideable from multiple crashes and no maintenance whatsoever.

I did my moped CBT on my 16th birthday, and on the morning of my 17th birthday I got in the 2cv and drove us all to school...

15 minutes ago, Rave said:

I can't remember exactly, but I was 11 or maybe just turned 12. My mum had bought a 2CV partly so that we could all have fun driving it round the 5 acre paddock behind my Grandad's house. Amazingly enough I managed to persuade her to buy me a field bike for my 13th birthday which provided years of entertainment every time we went to visit Grandad until it finally became unrideable from multiple crashes and no maintenance whatsoever.

I did my moped CBT on my 16th birthday, and on the morning of my 17th birthday I got in the 2cv and drove us all to school...

Well done making it here less and less still on the missing list.