• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wight Flight

Dosbodeers Drying Out

Apologies for the pun.

A thread for us that are cutting back / think we should be cutting back.

First question is what is the best radio at 2am to send you to bloody sleep when all your mind is doing is thinking of work.

Second question is what do you drink? For me, I have always had a drink on the go - permanent mug of tea at work and then a bottomless glass of wine in the evening so going even half an hour without a sip of something is rubbish - it is an ingrained habit.

I don't like most fizzy drinks so stick with tonic water. But a pint of tonic water is bloody expensive if you are eating out!

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Apologies for the pun.

A thread for us that are cutting back / think we should be cutting back.

First question is what is the best radio at 2am to send you to bloody sleep when all your mind is doing is thinking of work.

Second question is what do you drink? For me, I have always had a drink on the go - permanent mug of tea at work and then a bottomless glass of wine in the evening so going even half an hour without a sip of something is rubbish - it is an ingrained habit.

I don't like most fizzy drinks so stick with tonic water. But a pint of tonic water is bloody expensive if you are eating out!

You'll sleep again, and better, after a few dry days. Last night I had the first proper night's sleep since stopping the wine. Reading is better than radio for sleep-inducement, for me at least. Try "Moby Dick", it's so bloody tedious one or two pages send me into a coma, a book I like takes longer.

Isn't tonic water fizzy? Anyway I drink black tea, peppermint tea and water with the odd espresso while on the wagon, suits me at least. I would avoid eating out if possible as that would inevitably involve wine, you may be tougher than me.

I drink a lot of coffee during the day. I also have the need to "sip something" all day, so I put plenty of milk in it. Or I'll sweat like a pig.

I really ought to drink more water, or water instead.

Alcohol - my body doesn't like yeast so I'm mostly restricted to vodka or wine. I can drink beer, and I'll get away with it as a one-off, but if I dare repeat it the next night and/or combine it with, say, a pizza (more yeast), I'll have a sort of wretched "hangover" that lasts for about two days until what I have eaten and drunk is completely, er, excreted.

Not sure about radio, but, how about this - can you leave it playing on your phone, for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hypnosis+music

1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

avoid eating out if possible as that would inevitably involve wine, you may be tougher than me.

There are a couple of fantastic restaurants round my way that I want to try again - this one for example http://www.stovells.com/lunch.html 

The food is exceptional - and £22 for lunch is actually worth it.  But the wine will bump that by another £25 a head so I won't go if I want wine.

Dry times are the best times to try expensive restaurants - they are good value if you can avoid the booze.

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

Not sure about radio, but, how about this - can you leave it playing on your phone, for instance:

The lack of phone makes that difficult - and I am not a druggy anyway. :Geek:

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

There are a couple of fantastic restaurants round my way that I want to try again - this one for example http://www.stovells.com/lunch.html 

The food is exceptional - and £22 for lunch is actually worth it.  But the wine will bump that by another £25 a head so I won't go if I want wine.

We should have the Dosbods meet there - @The XYY Man would love it!

I've abstained from everything since New Year's Day, been through the couple of night's insomnia and am nicely back on the straight and narrow. I have to go to a social do tonight which will involve a couple of glasses of wine, but alcohol is not really a problem for me any more as the hangovers on even small amounts make it self regulating.

When I go completely dry I genuinely feel epic. As for what to drink, I spend a rather ridiculous amount of money on loose-leaf herbal tea blends from a local tea shop. Some of their relaxation blends are every bit as relaxing as the initial hit of a scotch or whatever, except that you're hydrating yourself at the same time rather than dehydrating yourself.

Meditation also rocks. There's lots of different techniques, so if you've tried one and seen no effect, it's worth trying a few others.

Edited by Fully Detached

I'm a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. I've had a few cocktail type or ready mixed cans over Christmas but last Sunday I cooked a New Year's Eve roast and drank half a bottle of Prosecco. I fell asleep at 4 in the afternoon and woke up at 8. I'm a very cheap date. 

I don't drink anywhere near enough fluid during the day. Usually a cup of black tea in the morning then 1 or 2 half cups throughout the day. I'm better with squash as I will make it weak and the guzzle it but I'm not a sipper. I usually arrive at the point of dehydration before I decide to make myself a drink.

I do have a soda stream but you have to be mindful of the syrups. I do like it though and the tonic water is pretty good from that.

I'm very similar to @Cunning Plan though with beer rather than wine which I don't like.  Essentially I like hot drinks through the day and cold drinks through the evening with beer's advantage over soft drinks being threefold: it's a diuretic so you don't get bloated, it ensures a good night's sleep, and it's a mood enhancer.

I have at least (and usually no more than) one night off a week and am awake for hours and consequently shattered the next day.

I want to drink less, primarily for health reasons as I'm not getting bladdered and always ensure that I'm safe to drive early the following morning, so my New Year aim is to only drink my own brews.  This puts in a regular natural break of a week or more every month (I have one fermenting bin, one set of forty bottles).

Assuming that I can stick to that then that would probably be sufficient reduction for me as it puts a ceiling on my consumption, I know what's in it, and I don't have a desire to give it up.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Can I suggest that the name of this thread is changed to Alcoholics Anonymous?  

Ill start.

"my name is one percent...xD

...and I desperately need some breath-fresheners...?

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ill start.

"my name is one percent..." xD

You jest but from experience crossing the line from drinking too much to becoming dependent just happens. Then the only solution, IMO, is total abstinence.

It’s much better and very sensible to limit alcohol intake to either several glasses per day or have some alcohol free days in a week.

If drinking alcohol daily had no health consequences or addiction risks I’d still be doing it!

Better to have limited intake/some alcohol free days per week than ending up like me unable to have any at all!

My name is economic exile and I’m a recovering alcoholic. Writing that makes me xD but for quite a number of years working on overcoming an addiction problem often made me:CryBaby:

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ill start.

"my name is one percent..." xD

I may be drinking a lot but I don't feel that I am any more addicted to beer than I am to tea or coffee.

I think it's just the drinking that I like and all three have an effect upon mood and a diuretic effect so I don't bloat.

I would say I am more addicted to tea than to beer, and more to beer than to coffee.

Maybe I'm a teaholic.

Just now, Economic Exile said:

You jest but from experience crossing the line from drinking too much to becoming dependent just happens. Then the only solution, IMO, is total abstinence.

It’s much better and very sensible to limit alcohol intake to either several glasses per day or have some alcohol free days in a week.

If drinking alcohol daily had no health consequences or addiction risks I’d still be doing it!

Better to have limited intake/some alcohol free days per week than ending up like me unable to have any at all!

My name is economic exile and I’m a recovering alcoholic. Writing that makes me xD but for quite a number of years working on overcoming an addiction problem often made me:CryBaby:

I'm interested in your views - do you think addictions like alcohol are diseases, or a reflection of the innate genetic and individual ability to resist?  I know I could be said to be addicted to some of my hobbies, but if someone told me stop them or you will die, I could give up tomorrow - but a weak willed person maybe could not?

When I attended AA because I saw it as a last chance saloon to address my drinking problem I often heard this ....

”To test your control try having one drink then leave it at that!”

Personally I didn’t bother trying that test as I never ever had one alcoholic drink. It’s a pretty extreme test!

IMO, the best approach to cut down on alcohol consumption, if it’s worrisome, is to have as many days per week you can manage alcohol free. 

11 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I may be drinking a lot but I don't feel that I am any more addicted to beer than I am to tea or coffee.

I think it's just the drinking that I like and all three have an effect upon mood and a diuretic effect so I don't bloat.

I would say I am more addicted to tea than to beer, and more to beer than to coffee.

Maybe I'm a teaholic.

I may be jesting a bit but feel that I am walking too near to that fine line. Hence the New Years resolution to stop drinking mid week.  I've a glass of wine in front of me now and I am enjoying. Probably too much. There in lies the danger. 

The trick will be to see whether I can have a dry Sunday. 

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

The lack of phone makes that difficult - and I am not a druggy anyway. :Geek:

My valium suggestion isn't going to be much help then. I am amongst the fellow dosbodeers drying out, but have decided that just like God made man in one day I will be allowed to be drunk on a Friday.

5 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I'm interested in your views - do you think addictions like alcohol are diseases, or a reflection of the innate genetic and individual ability to resist?  I know I could be said to be addicted to some of my hobbies, but if someone told me stop them or you will die, I could give up tomorrow - but a weak willed person maybe could not?

I have no definitive answer to your question but after having thought about it a lot over the years I totally reject the idea that alcohol addiction is a disease.

The best hunch I have about why I became addicted to alcohol was that I do tend to become “addicted” to stuff I like. Overindulgence!

Perhaps it is an innate and individual genetic inability to know when to stop? However I’ve quit other stuff I’ve been taking too much of very easily in comparison to quitting alcohol. Jeez it was hard and years of personal work.

I will say that I had a nervous disposition when younger. The worried well. Felt my parents didn’t care about me emotionally but they did provide me well with material needs. Failed marriage by early twenties. Didn’t like my job. Alcohol is a great anaesthetic!

Definetely don’t regard myself as weak willed though. When I accepted and addressed I was addicted to alcohol 25+years ago the only was up for me. Sadly many people can’t quit. I’m nothing like what I was years ago .....totally different. Content with my lot, manage on my own, look after my health through diet/exercise and enjoy the simple things.

If I was put on the spot to give an answer about alcohol addiction I’d say it’s a lot to do with luck. Family dynamics, personal genetic disposition and the quality of ones social experience. I’d also say it’s not written in stone that once an addict always an addict. It can be overcome if one is lucky. I do feel I was lucky in my recovery through people I encountered and also my personal resolve to make the most of my time on planet earth.

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

I may be jesting a bit but feel that I am walking too near to that fine line. Hence the New Years resolution to stop drinking mid week.  I've a glass of wine in front of me now and I am enjoying. Probably too much. There in lies the danger. 

I thought I need to rein this in a bit after drinking half a bottle of whiskey, looking at the bottle thinking I am not nearly pissed enough.

I am trying to drink on only Friday nights, knocking it out of the schedule for six out of seven nights.

Let's see how this goes.

What step am I on?

Doing the dry january thing . Today I started thinking about a large glass of red wine about 4pm and I'm still thinking about  it.

Does my body know its Friday night ? 

Its my 3rd dry Jan. Dont remember much about the other 2 so they can't have been that painful.

BTW normally drink everyday but never much more than 3 pints and half a bottle of wine. Probably sounds a lot but its nothing compared to my friends intake.