• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Egypt hot air balloon crash

Posted (edited)

Another fatal tourist hot air balloon crash at Luxor today, 1 dead 12 injured. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-middle-east-42576974

Surprising people havent learnt the lessons of the infamous 2013 Valley of the Kings crash where 19 people burned and then plummeted 1000 ft to their deaths after the pilot jumped out in flames.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3113771/What-REALLY-happened-doomed-hot-air-balloon-flight-killed-19-passengers-dream-day-turned-carnage.html#comments-3113771

Comes on the back of multiple xmas and new year sightseeing flight fatalities around the world, australia, costa rica, luxor etc 

Is the murky world of the "tourist aviator" being exposed? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

2 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Another fatal tourist hot air balloon crash at Luxor today, 1 dead 12 injured. 

Surprising people havent learnt the lessons of the infamous 2013 Valley of the Kings crash where 19 people burned and then plummeted 1000 ft to their deaths after the pilot jumped out in flames.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3113771/What-REALLY-happened-doomed-hot-air-balloon-flight-killed-19-passengers-dream-day-turned-carnage.html#comments-3113771

Comes on the back of multiple xmas and new year sightseeingflight fatalities around the world, australia, costa rica, luxor etc 

Is the murky world of the "tourist aviator" being exposed? 

Go hide from the nasty aircraft in your cellar.

Posted (edited)

The recommendation from UK tour operators is to pay approx £300 for your Egyptian Balloon flight as apparently price ensures quality in Luxor. 

I don't think that really rings true as some very wealthy people died in light aircraft sightseeing flights on New Years Day at various tourist  locations around the world. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

6 minutes ago, wherebee said:

I must confess I have done small aircraft flights in NZ and Australia - in one case an acrobatics stunt flight in one of these

1601793.jpg?v=v40

but....it was worth it :)

I did aerobatics in a Tiger Moth in Torquay, Australia. It's interesting hanging upside down by your straps over the ocean without even a canopy between you and the sea.:).

Beats hiding in a cellar and avoiding having a life.

1 minute ago, eight said:

If it goes upside down do you and the pilot fall out..... or are you still friends? 

I said to my pilot 'can you do a reverse immelmann".  He said 'whats that'.  Stupidly, I described it over the speaking tube.  "Sure, maaaate" he said.

rc-split-s.gif

1 minute ago, wherebee said:

I said to my pilot 'can you do a reverse immelmann".  He said 'whats that'.  Stupidly, I described it over the speaking tube.  "Sure, maaaate" he said.

I love flying through a cloud of my own falling vomit.

7 billion people on the planet. How many people die through horribe accidents every day? Look at that bus in Russia last week going down the subway steps into a crowd of unsuspecting people.

I go to liveleak most days but can't look at most of the videos as they are videos of people having the most terrible accidents and being killed in escalators, lifts, traffic accidents, etc. I try to just look at the non-violence videos on there but sometimes you are drawn to one and, geesh, life is so fleeting.

I am going to have a read of that article about what really happened in the lat Luxor ballon accident. Or perhaps I shouldn't?

I'd have thought that 'experience' aviation in Australia or New Zealand would be as rigorously regulated as in the UK.

But I doubt there's much regulation at all in any of these poor countries.  I wouldn't start trusting their maintenance or personnel with my life.

13 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'd have thought that 'experience' aviation in Australia or New Zealand would be as rigorously regulated as in the UK.

But I doubt there's much regulation at all in any of these poor countries.  I wouldn't start trusting their maintenance or personnel with my life.

What worries me about tourists spots, even in countries like Oz and NZ, is that when you look at some of these 'experience' people give me the impression, rightly or wrongly, that the job is a means to posing, looking good in sunglasses and lots of posing and pulling of women.

Not such a problem when the bloke is a beach lifeguard or an instructor for surfing. More of a problem when it comes to para-sailing - as numerous accidents have proved. When it comes to ballooning, para-gliding, parchuting or flights then count me out.

3 hours ago, dgul said:

The Seaplane that crashed in sydney on NYD came off the production line in 1967 (only 2000 made) 

And its now been revealed that the same plane was involved in a fatal accident in 2009 where it killed a crop duster pilot, same fault fuel starvation / stall during steep right turn.

The seaplane was rebuilt and continued flying until NYD 2018 where it killed the pilot and 5 millionaires in the same manner. 

I suppose seaplanes are not that common and hardly rolling of the global production line yearly so i think its a case of make do and mend with the ones that are out there? 

4 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

The Seaplane that crashed in sydney on NYD came off the production line in 1967 (only 2000 made) 

And its now been revealed that the same plane was involved in a fatal accident in 2009 where it killed a crop duster pilot, same fault fuel starvation / stall during steep right turn.

The seaplane was rebuilt and continued flying until NYD 2018 where it killed the pilot and 5 millionaires in the same manner. 

I suppose seaplanes are not that common and hardly rolling of the global production line yearly so i think its a case of make do and mend with the ones that are out there? 

So long as it is looked after and maintained properly it'll be fine.

And as it is in Australia it would have been.  It would have had regular inspections.  Every repair would have been using certified parts and following procedure to the letter.  

Other parts of the world -- well, it depends on the country.

4 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

7 billion people on the planet. How many people die through horribe accidents every day? Look at that bus in Russia last week going down the subway steps into a crowd of unsuspecting people.

I go to liveleak most days but can't look at most of the videos as they are videos of people having the most terrible accidents and being killed in escalators, lifts, traffic accidents, etc. I try to just look at the non-violence videos on there but sometimes you are drawn to one and, geesh, life is so fleeting.

I am going to have a read of that article about what really happened in the lat Luxor ballon accident. Or perhaps I shouldn't?

8 people jumped after the fire got too much to stand. :(

Just now, dgul said:

So long as it is looked after and maintained properly it'll be fine.

And as it is in Australia it would have been.  It would have had regular inspections.  Every repair would have been using certified parts and following procedure to the letter.  

Other parts of the world -- well, it depends on the country.

Yes, i read that it would have been repaired to a standard higher than when new? probably correct. 

One thing i notice with seaplanes is they all seem to have very short stubby wings and the aerodynamics of a brick :D

I suppose banking one steeply into a hard turn is where the problem lies, i note Canadian authorites recommended stall warning alarms after a series of crashes there. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The kurdish  bloke that falls off the cliff is fuckin hilarious - not graphic in anyway. Just dumb - It's Borat at his finest

NOT Graphic - Dumb, Yes. https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e9_1515177557 So calm yer tits people & don't click on it if you don't want to.

If you sync/ play the 2nd video of the cctv footage... just sayin

Edited by mattydread

Posted (edited)

Not for the faint of heart. The live commentator on the video seemed very calm (I don't know what he was saying) - perhaps tragedy happens every day? There was no screaming or shouting of horror of what they witnessed.

--comment said "they were praying for a peaceful death and god forgive them". Wow a totally different view on life.

Edited by 201p

Posted (edited)

It's just the fairly universal belief that death is not the worst thing that can happen, that you can help the dead or dying spiritually if not physically.

Edited by Panther

The most likely cause will be a fuel hose or union between the cylinder and burner becoming detached or failing. The pilot should have cut off the fuel at the cylinder but may have been incapacitated by the fire.

8 hours ago, mattydread said:

The kurdish  bloke that falls off the cliff is fuckin hilarious - not graphic in anyway. Just dumb - It's Borat at his finest

NOT Graphic - Dumb, Yes. https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e9_1515177557 So calm yer tits people & don't click on it if you don't want to.

That was sort of funny. Until I watched the second vid. And then it was a lot less funny.

11 hours ago, mattydread said:

I thought it wasn't that far down from the first video then the second shows how high it was.

Stupid but the stumble after the intial jump looked like he crabbed right over the edge.