• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Queen bees

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41165076

Instead of acting as mentors could successful female bosses be pulling up the ladder behind them because they perceive other women as a threat?

This is the theory known as queen bee syndrome.

First defined by psychologists at the University of Michigan in 1973, queen bee syndrome describes a woman in a position of authority in a male-dominated environment who treats subordinates more critically if they are female.

Prof Dame Sally Davies, England's first female chief medical officer, used the term in 2014 when describing her own experiences in the health sector.

"I saw it particularly in medicine - queen bees preening and enjoying being the only woman," she said.

ive experienced this quite often. It's not however senior managers but those striving to get to the top and who in all likelihood will not get there.

i have one at the moment which I've mentioned before. Literally rubs herself up against men, cat like, and sucks up to those above her. However, for the women who are, on the career ladder, below here, she is a nasty, snarling bitch.  Screamed at me in a meeting a few months ago.  

This woman is so bad, the organisation have implemented an anti bullying policy.  9_9

37 minutes ago, One percent said:

Instead of acting as mentors could successful female bosses be pulling up the ladder behind them because they perceive other women as a threat?

First defined by psychologists at the University of Michigan in 1973, queen bee syndrome describes a woman in a position of authority in a male-dominated environment who treats subordinates more critically if they are female.

Prof Dame Sally Davies, England's first female chief medical officer, used the term in 2014 when describing her own experiences in the health sector.

"I saw it particularly in medicine - queen bees preening and enjoying being the only woman," she said.

ive experienced this quite often. It's not however senior managers but those striving to get to the top and who in all likelihood will not get there.

i have one at the moment which I've mentioned before. Literally rubs herself up against men, cat like, and sucks up to those above her. However, for the women who are, on the career ladder, below here, she is a nasty, snarling bitch.  Screamed at me in a meeting a few months ago.  

This woman is so bad, the organisation have implemented an anti bullying policy.  9_9

It's also tied into sexual psychology; many times the subordinate women will be younger and thus more attractive than the older female boss, and the innate drive will be for the female boss to treat the younger female as a threat.  You cannot beat evolution.  

1 hour ago, One percent said:

25 minutes ago, wherebee said:

It's also tied into sexual psychology; many times the subordinate women will be younger and thus more attractive than the older female boss, and the innate drive will be for the female boss to treat the younger female as a threat.  You cannot beat evolution.  

Out of reps sadly

Yup, I've observed this too in the university sector.  one female senior lecturer who was promoted to Reader  (one step below professor ) , she was an absolute bitch from hell, really nasty bullying behaviour  (badmouthing to other staff, setting people against each other ). Nice as pie to most of the male staff.  totally unhinged

19 minutes ago, JFK said:

Out of reps sadly

Yup, I've observed this too in the university sector.  one female senior lecturer who was promoted to Reader  (one step below professor ) , she was an absolute bitch from hell, really nasty bullying behaviour  (badmouthing to other staff, setting people against each other ). Nice as pie to most of the male staff.  totally unhinged

Do we work together or us there one of these people in every organisation?  o.O

my one has taken a dislike to my team and me in particular. To the point where whatever I do is thrown back at me as being rubbish.  Funny though how both highly regarded professors and the director of research appear to like what I do.  

I avoid the woman as much as I can and luckily she is not my line manager. I've thought often about taking out a grievance but there are no winners in a situation like that.  

30 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I don't think it is restricted to women.

I've found most people in academia and the public sector at least, whom are promoted to positions of power more through their ability to lick arse rather than any academic prowess (their promotion is aided by the vacuum created by the fact that people with academic ability avoid management positions), to be bastards. Once in a position of power these people are rutheless in supressing or running out anyone with ability whom they perceive them as a threat to their status or position, or whom mght question their ability or see through their facade;  although, due the the bit in parentheses, they are not a threat of course.

Having said that, I have found women who have got to power among the most vicious in their destruction of others below them. But that could be just because I am a bloke. I observed one woman destroy the careers of everyone that came to work for them and management were well aware of the problem, but did nothing about it, successively. It was a tragedy to see her be allowed to have talented PhD student after PhD student over 20 years, none of whom got past year 2.

Controversially, I'll say that there is another problem experienced by women, although I expect it will extend to any minority, and this is due to positive discrimination and quota filling, especially in the 90's, but perhaps less so now.

Jobs should be filled upon ability.

People who have risen to positions because of a combination or ruthlessness and diversity-filling (case above) can be beyond their abilities. Maintainging their position becomes an exhausting existence for them, which makes them all the more deranged and difficult to work with.

Agree wholeheartedly. I've never wanted to move into a management position. I've sought other ways to find job satisfaction. I'm not saying I'm a brilliant academic - not brilliant at much. I can however look at my career and feel I've made some small difference, especially to individuals. 

There is nothing worse imho, that sitting in meetings with other self important people discussing things that have no relevance in the real world, which is how I view the role of a manager. Much rather roll my sleeves up and get on with the job.  

The latest wheeze from the bitch from hell is that she is attempting to bully my team into working significantly above what senior management has agreed with the unions as a fair workload. Seething that we will not be exploited. To show how really bright she is, she has been trying this same thing for five years. Like a dog with a bone. 

Posted (edited)

It`s quite simple 

A very clever boss will see an employee who is also very clever as an asset, the thick as pigshit boss (probably got there by kissing the right arses) will see the very same person as a threat 

Edit : beaten to it 

Edited by Long time lurking

It's a crap analogy. The queen bee is actually controlled by the workers. They are mean to her when it's near time to swarm, they slow down how much they feed her so she gets slim enough to fly. The workers then buzz her to make her leave the nest. They do this for her mating flights too. And they'll kill her if there's something wrong with her. All the queen does is eat and lay eggs.

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

It's a crap analogy. The queen bee is actually controlled by the workers. They are mean to her when it's near time to swarm, they slow down how much they feed her so she gets slim enough to fly. The workers then buzz her to make her leave the nest. They do this for her mating flights too. And they'll kill her if there's something wrong with her. All the queen does is eat and lay eggs.

Same with ants...infact with most swarming insects.

2 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Same with ants...infact with most swarming insects.

Social.
Although in reality they're not. I mean, can you imagine inviting them to a picnic?

6 hours ago, Hopeful said:

I don't think it is restricted to women.

I've found most people in academia and the public sector at least, whom are promoted to positions of power more through their ability to lick arse rather than any academic prowess (their promotion is aided by the vacuum created by the fact that people with academic ability avoid management positions), to be bastards. Once in a position of power these people are rutheless in supressing or running out anyone with ability whom they perceive them as a threat to their status or position, or whom mght question their ability or see through their facade;  although, due the the bit in parentheses, they are not a threat of course.

Having said that, I have found women who have got to power among the most vicious in their destruction of others below them. But that could be just because I am a bloke. I observed one woman destroy the careers of everyone that came to work for them and management were well aware of the problem, but did nothing about it, successively. It was a tragedy to see her be allowed to have talented PhD student after PhD student over 20 years, none of whom got past year 2.

Controversially, I'll say that there is another problem experienced by women, although I expect it will extend to any minority, and this is due to positive discrimination and quota filling, especially in the 90's, but perhaps less so now.

Jobs should be filled upon ability.

People who have risen to positions because of a combination or ruthlessness and diversity-filling (case above) can be beyond their abilities. Maintainging their position becomes an exhausting existence for them, which makes them all the more deranged and difficult to work with.

Indeed. One of the main reasons I got out of academia was the appalling attitudes and behaviour of many, many senior staff. I've rarely encountered anything of the same level in the public sector and I can certainly say it isn't nearly as prevalent. 

Senior academics seem to be more likely than not the absolute worst people imaginable to those under them.

57 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Indeed. One of the main reasons I got out of academia was the appalling attitudes and behaviour of many, many senior staff. I've rarely encountered anything of the same level in the public sector and I can certainly say it isn't nearly as prevalent. 

Senior academics seem to be more likely than not the absolute worst people imaginable to those under them.

Agree a lot of senior academics are real  Prima donnas. However, I have worked with some who are lovely. Most however act as if they are God. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Melchett said:

Indeed. One of the main reasons I got out of academia was the appalling attitudes and behaviour of many, many senior staff. I've rarely encountered anything of the same level in the private sector and I can certainly say it isn't nearly as prevalent. 

Sorry, I meant to say PRIVATE sector. Doh!

Edited by Melchett

11 hours ago, One percent said:

What!! Theres no nuturing sisterhood...

What asurprise!

10 hours ago, wherebee said:

But you can beat a busty 24yo blonde.

Protecting their harem for thier dusty ovaties and saggy viginia.

10 minutes ago, spygirl said:

What!! Theres no nuturing sisterhood...

What asurprise!

It's a complete mystery. Mind I did work somewhere once where there was a coven of female masons. Well dodgy lot.  

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

It's a complete mystery. Mind I did work somewhere once where there was a coven of female masons. Well dodgy lot.  

Not really.

Human nature - cliques develop.

Up til the 80s, males dominated business and orgs, so there were male cliques. Of course, wimmin were too busy looking at the 'male' bit rather than looking at what the clique was - male public school tyope - a posh owman stands more chance in getting into that clique than a wokting class bloke,. but they forget that.

As more women move into orgs then females cliques will form.

But thats not really part of the story  at the mo.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Not really.

Human nature - cliques develop.

Up til the 80s, males dominated business and orgs, so there were male cliques. Of course, wimmin were too busy looking at the 'male' bit rather than looking at what the clique was - male public school tyope - a posh owman stands more chance in getting into that clique than a wokting class bloke,. but they forget that.

As more women move into orgs then females cliques will form.

But thats not really part of the story  at the mo.

Nope, this isn't about cliques, it's concerned with individuals. Narcissistic individuals.  

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Mind I did work somewhere once where there was a coven of female masons.

A coven you say...

We have one.

Several identifiers, our Office Manager has a husband paid extremely well by an oil company, they have a lifestyle appropriate to his income which allows her to rub everything in the faces of her subordinates. The house, the cars, the holidays, the shopping, the dining out, the charity work. They are both members of the golf club, they both attend a Masonic lodge along with their parents. They both have BUPA.

She hates it that everybody knows her husband ran away with his secretary. During this period her lifestyle collapsed, her false friends disappeared, she almost lost everything except for her parents helping out, and in all fairness she worked two extra part-time jobs in a hotel and a separate week-end job in a pub. She dropped from a size 16 to a size 10 mostly through worry but lucky for her kept her size 16 tits.      

She loves it that everybody knows she had an affair with a married boss in work. She loves it that her husband came crawling back after his secretary went off with somebody else!

Now she can be the kindest person in the world. Generally though she is a complete cunt. She keeps files on everybody, she undermines everybody, she deliberately traps everybody and baits them into arguments. She interferes with other departments. She has built a coven.

She will make her co-workers run off to cry by deploying mental torture.

But...........

She can only do all this with the help of her pets. These are younger females in complete awe of her that hang on her every word and will do anything to win her approval. These are the Witches Familiars. Every place I have worked where this phenomena occurs has the same scenario. Without her familiars the Witch would lose almost her entire power.

Familiar - Witchcraft and Witches

www.witchcraftandwitches.com/terms_familiar.html

A familiar (or familiar spirit or familiar animal) is an animal-shaped spirit or minor demon believed to serve a witch or magician as domestic servant, spy and companion, in addition to helping to bewitch enemies or to divine information.

4 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

A coven you say...

We have one.

Several identifiers, our Office Manager has a husband paid extremely well by an oil company, they have a lifestyle appropriate to his income which allows her to rub everything in the faces of her subordinates. The house, the cars, the holidays, the shopping, the dining out, the charity work. They are both members of the golf club, they both attend a Masonic lodge along with their parents. They both have BUPA.

She hates it that everybody knows her husband ran away with his secretary. During this period her lifestyle collapsed, her false friends disappeared, she almost lost everything except for her parents helping out, and in all fairness she worked two extra part-time jobs in a hotel and a separate week-end job in a pub. She dropped from a size 16 to a size 10 mostly through worry but lucky for her kept her size 16 tits.      

She loves it that everybody knows she had an affair with a married boss in work. She loves it that her husband came crawling back after his secretary went off with somebody else!

Now she can be the kindest person in the world. Generally though she is a complete cunt. She keeps files on everybody, she undermines everybody, she deliberately traps everybody and baits them into arguments. She interferes with other departments. She has built a coven.

She will make her co-workers run off to cry by deploying mental torture.

But...........

She can only do all this with the help of her pets. These are younger females in complete awe of her that hang on her every word and will do anything to win her approval. These are the Witches Familiars. Every place I have worked where this phenomena occurs has the same scenario. Without her familiars the Witch would lose almost her entire power.

Familiar - Witchcraft and Witches

www.witchcraftandwitches.com/terms_familiar.html

A familiar (or familiar spirit or familiar animal) is an animal-shaped spirit or minor demon believed to serve a witch or magician as domestic servant, spy and companion, in addition to helping to bewitch enemies or to divine information.

Feck me, you paint a dark picture there. I kind of know this stuff goes on in organisations but I do my best to keep away from all the politics. I'm lucky that I work with a close team who are on the whole brilliant and with students who again, apart from one or two nutters, are a delight to work with. 

I really feel you pain. 

8 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Thank you Sarah. I'm always fascinated by your knowledge on all things bees.:)

Because I like being in control of my own life I never like having any boss.

Most male ones have been ok, decent at their job and generally bearable but I have loathed all the female ones. Utterly loathed them because in my experience female bosses always struggle with their job, hate, resent, fear, are jealous or whatever of people “below” them. They spend too much time bitching etc!

Thankfully I’m nearing the end of having to be in the workplace too much and can be choosy so will only work with a male boss, no exceptions!

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

Because I like being in control of my own life I never like having any boss.

Most male ones have been ok, decent at their job and generally bearable but I have loathed all the female ones. Utterly loathed them because in my experience female bosses always struggle with their job, hate, resent, fear, are jealous or whatever of people “below” them. They spend too much time bitching etc!

Thankfully I’m nearing the end of having to be in the workplace too much and can be choosy so will only work with a male boss, no exceptions!

Totally agree EE. This has been my experience. In my whole working career I think I have had two good female bosses. Both were brilliant. However, the bad female bosses pales them into insignificance.