DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Pret A Manger

WorkingPoor

WorkingPoor

It appears the highstreet chain where just 1 in 50 employees are British has been caught up in another scandal using work experience teenagers and paying them in food.

Now exposed they are agreeing to pay the going wage rates. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/25/pret-a-manger-to-pay-work-experience-recruits-after-criticism-of-unpaid-scheme

Pret a Manger has said it will now pay hundreds of teenagers it plans to hire this summer, after campaigners criticised the company for offering work experience roles for free food but no pay.

One percent
Just now, WorkingPoor said:

It appears the highstreet chain where just 1 in 50 employees are British has been caught up in another scandal using work experience teenagers and paying them in food.

Now exposed they are agreeing to pay the going wage rates. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/25/pret-a-manger-to-pay-work-experience-recruits-after-criticism-of-unpaid-scheme

Barstewards. We need to boycott them.  Not that I use them but still

I would use them, but they're always located in town centres which I rarely venture into. Their vegetarian range is very good mind, but expensive.

Another private equity owned outfit abusing workers to add to the list.

One percent

If they are not even paying wages to some of their staff I wonder where the the profits are going from those expensive sandwiches 

M S E Refugee

I will still use them,but they deserve a lot of criticism as they try to portray themselves as eco-friendly,renewable,sustainable,green etc.

They probably wouldn't dream of exploiting third world farmers because they use fair trade coffee etc,they don't mind exploiting teenagers and Eastern Europeans though.

Frank Hovis

They're totally out of order here; but as I didn't even use them when I worked in London and frequented sandwich bars (identical products to rivals but 50p more) then I have nothing to boycott.

I used to use them occasionally, but their last round of price increases was a bridge too far.

They're just too expensive.

re my post on the other place.

Pret are cunts.

8 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

I used to use them occasionally, but their last round of price increases was a bridge too far.

They're just too expensive.

Had this discussion with my kids. For the price of crappy sandwich my kids can have a personal pizza each from Dominos.

the gardener

Never been in one, never will. Scum.

It's been over 5 years since I started my boycott of Tesco over their involvement in the Workfare scheme. Have never set foot in one in all that time.

Edited by the gardener

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2017 at 20:20, WorkingPoor said:

work experience teenagers and paying them in food.

https://www.gov.uk/volunteering/pay-and-expenses

Example 1

Ellie volunteers at a company to get some work experience. She’s given travel expenses even though she walks to work. This is payment, rather than out-of-pocket expenses, so she must be paid at least the minimum wage.

Example 2

Dave volunteers for an organisation tending local parks. All volunteers get £3 a week for travel but Dave is responsible for a park close to his home, so he walks there. This means the £3 is a payment and not a reimbursement of expenses. It could count as a contract of employment meaning Dave could be eligible for the minimum wage.

Example 3

Joe is an unpaid intern at a record company, but he’s given free CDs as a perk. The CDs are ‘benefits in kind’. They mean he must be paid at least the minimum wage.

Example 4

Amanda is an unpaid intern at a design company. She’s been promised that she’ll be taken on as an employee after 3 months. This counts as a reward, so she must be paid at least the minimum wage for the whole time she spends at the company.