• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Aussie flu

Don't bother with the doctors.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/flu/

How to treat flu yourself

To help you get better more quickly:

• rest and sleep
  • keep warm
  • take paracetamol or ibuprofen to lower your temperature and treat aches and pains
  • drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration (your pee should be light yellow or clear)

See your GP if:

• your symptoms don't improve after 7 days
  • you're worried about your child's symptoms
  • you're 65 or over
  • you're pregnant
  • you have a long-term medical condition – for example, diabetes or a heart, lung, kidney or neurological disease
  • you have a weakened immune system – for example, because of chemotherapy or HIV

Get her bottled drinks so she can have liquids at hand. Lucozade - in the days before it became a chav essential - was the ticket, sugary orange drink ideal for making you feel special whilst you were poorly.

21 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Don't bother with the doctors.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/flu/

How to treat flu yourself

To help you get better more quickly:

• rest and sleep
  • keep warm
  • take paracetamol or ibuprofen to lower your temperature and treat aches and pains
  • drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration (your pee should be light yellow or clear)

See your GP if:

• your symptoms don't improve after 7 days
  • you're worried about your child's symptoms
  • you're 65 or over
  • you're pregnant
  • you have a long-term medical condition – for example, diabetes or a heart, lung, kidney or neurological disease
  • you have a weakened immune system – for example, because of chemotherapy or HIV

Get her bottled drinks so she can have liquids at hand. Lucozade - in the days before it became a chav essential - was the ticket, sugary orange drink ideal for making you feel special whilst you were poorly.

And stay off any bloody train I'm on! :)

I have had it since new years eve ,just getting over it now ,the first two days were realy bad (not like any other flu i have had before) i could barley get out of bed every joint in my body was on fire  from that point on it was high temp and real bad night sweats  ,luckily i had prescription strength cocodamol that sorted the pain 

18 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I have had it since new years eve ,just getting over it now ,the first two days were realy bad (not like any other flu i have had before) i could barley get out of bed every joint in my body was on fire  from that point on it was high temp and real bad night sweats  ,luckily i had prescription strength cocodamol that sorted the pain 

Cheers.  sounds similar.  She was in tears this morning because of the pain - not like her at all.  I've come home from work and am now working from home posting on dosbods from home so that I can look after her.  Looking a bit better and she is taking cocodamol and paracetemol from the chemist

35 minutes ago, One percent said:

Cheers.  sounds similar.  She was in tears this morning because of the pain - not like her at all.  I've come home from work and am now working from home posting on dosbods from home so that I can look after her.  Looking a bit better and she is taking cocodamol and paracetemol from the chemist

The first 48 hrs was the bad part then it started to tapper off ...loads of liquids is a must 

Regular warm drinks - either some lemsip type drink every 4 - 6 hours so that you are getting paracetamol. But we really need not to get de-hydrated so that is at least a glass of liquid every hour without fail. Every half hour if you can cope. Stay away from milk.

Squeeze lemons or lime into cups of warm water is a good thing to do. I swear by soluble 100mg vitamin C tablets, preferably with zinc, taken frequently. Tesco sell these with zinc cheaply and 3 for 2.

If you have Vitamin D3 in the house take a meg dose - some of the Vitamin D doctors swear that mega doses of Vitamin D3 can stop 'flu in its tracks or lessen it if taken soon enough. I believe them.

Honey and lemon juice in warm water is a proven cough suppresant but you need to take it every half an hour or so.

Sucking on a garlic clove for 20 or 30 minutes is known to have anti bacterial affects and can do wonders for a sore throat / cough. But alot of people find that they cannot do it, especially if they accidentally bite into the garlic and it stings the mouth/throat. Warming the clove in a hote oven for 10 minutes can take the sting out of it. The garlic contains known anti-bacterial enzymes.

Massage the sinuses around either side of the nose, the bridge of the nose and above/below the eyebrows. You want to keep the fluid in there moving and down out of the head.

Hot baths - get your head underneath hot warm so that you warm up the body and head and then in a warm bed.

She probably has no appetite but there is a lot to be said for getting a proper hot curry.

One of the bizarrest things that you will hear about all of this is the cold sock hot sock treatment.

http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/coldsock.htm

Or the fever treatment.

http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/fevertherapy.htm

If none of the above work then shoot her.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

She probably has no appetite but there is a lot to be said for getting a proper hot curry.

One of the bizarrest things that you will hear about all of this is the cold sock hot sock treatment.

http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/coldsock.htm

Or the fear treatment.

http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/fevertherapy.htm

If none of the above work then shoot her.

Cheers TMT.  Sound interesting... have you tried these?

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Cheers TMT.  Sound interesting... have you tried these?

Yep.

I frequently use the hot bath technique - only just used it this morning as I am fighting off something at the moment and, well, I feel much better now than than I did at around 10AM this morning. There is something about immersing yourself in hot water - important to get the head under the water for as long as you can - which definitely warms the head. I think it aids in getting the gunk in all the sinus spaces, etc, flowing.

As for the sock technique - not tried it for a long, long time. But I did do it when younger and it works as bizarre as it sounds. I only remembered it recently. It is all about getting the immune system pumping. Hence why I also suggested a proper hot curry as the peppers / spices are proven to kick-start the immune system.

For hundreds of years, probably much longer, a known technique for a fever was to warm the person in some kind of linen or cotton cold sheet and then wrap them further in a woolen blanket. It was know as a kill or cure treatment for fever - mentioned in quite a few historical books and works of fiction. It basically gets the entire body pumping but, doing it to the entire body, could be a huge shock to the system. Sounds like it was later refined to a sock treatment which, I suspect, achieves the same goals without the risk.

15 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Hope your daughter feels better soon @One percent

Also hope that all dosbodders manage to avoid the aussie flu which seems to be a nasty strain.

Cheers EE. She is through the worse I think. She won't be going to work until at least next week. 

"Aussie flu"? Sounds like a euphemism for an std. Hope she feels better soon.

Have had a couple of peeps hit by the norovirus at work during hols...really looking forward to that one :(

I was having my usual humbuggy Christmas when popping out to retrieve the bin, I was invited to neighbours for a drink... thus mingling with people and children! Next day I had succumbed. Don't know if it was the Aussie variety but I was out of action and laid up for over a week over New Year. Cough to begin with, then sniffles. Aches, no appetite. Sleep patterns took a bit of a bit. Not nice, but I soldiered on! Don't usually visit doctor's if I can help it.

It does astonish me that some people think nothing of popping down to A&E with colds and flu. Suppose it's what you get with a 'free' service. Not so much a crisis as selfishness?

17 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

I was having my usual humbuggy Christmas when popping out to retrieve the bin, I was invited to neighbours for a drink... thus mingling with people and children! Next day I had succumbed. Don't know if it was the Aussie variety but I was out of action and laid up for over a week over New Year. Cough to begin with, then sniffles. Aches, no appetite. Sleep patterns took a bit of a bit. Not nice, but I soldiered on! Don't usually visit doctor's if I can help it.

It does astonish me that some people think nothing of popping down to A&E with colds and flu. Suppose it's what you get with a 'free' service. Not so much a crisis as selfishness?

Glad you are feeling better.

I began coughing about 2 hours ago and just began sneezing. Been aching for a few days and have had hardly slept in a week. I am hoping it is just some cold virus.

Yep, stupidity and selfishness are a huge problem for the NHS. I have not been near my docs but I recall a few years back, during that flu scare, the surgery putting up a sign on the door telling people not to enter the surgery and to go home if they suspected that they had flu. Then to ring the surgery - which they should have done in the first place.

27 minutes ago, Mihnjeeta said:

"Aussie flu"? Sounds like a euphemism for an std. Hope she feels better soon.

Have had a couple of peeps hit by the norovirus at work during hols...really looking forward to that one :(

Judging by the Aussies I've met it sounds more like a euphemism for a hangover.

Any man who even jokingly entertains the notion that there is something called 'manflu' is a cuck with no balls.

(first time I have ever used the word cuck)

Edited by Panther

7 minutes ago, Panther said:

Any man who even jokingly entertains the notion that there is something called 'manflu' is a cuck with no balls.

(first time I have ever used the word cuck)

I was in Home Bargains on the weekend and saw a couple looking at a tiny bottle of something called 'manflu' - the woman was holding it and insisting that her bloke bought it. It didn't even look big enough for a shot.

I interrupted and had a rant about how pathetic it was, how it was insulting that a product was call manflu and that vitaminc c would be cheaper and better. The chap loved this but his woman went off in a strop.

Job done.

10 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Glad you are feeling better.

I began coughing about 2 hours ago and just began sneezing. Been aching for a few days and have had hardly slept in a week. I am hoping it is just some cold virus.

Yep, stupidity and selfishness are a huge problem for the NHS. I have not been near my docs but I recall a few years back, during that flu scare, the surgery putting up a sign on the door telling people not to enter the surgery and to go home if they suspected that they had flu. Then to ring the surgery - which they should have done in the first place.

I've been feeling run down for a few days. Falling asleep on sofa at 9pm, too tired to even walk the dog round the block. Pain/tenderness around/under left edge of ribs (stomach area according to the child's squidgy anatomy model on the shelf). Feeling very weak but able to function reasonably ok.

Do I have Aussie Flu?

Or is the pain due to the wife's elbows when I snore? (she's to the left of me while sleeping)

1 hour ago, the gardener said:

I've been feeling run down for a few days. Falling asleep on sofa at 9pm, too tired to even walk the dog round the block. Pain/tenderness around/under left edge of ribs (stomach area according to the child's squidgy anatomy model on the shelf). Feeling very weak but able to function reasonably ok.

Do I have Aussie Flu?

Or is the pain due to the wife's elbows when I snore? (she's to the left of me while sleeping)

I think she is drugging you and having her wicked way with you whilst you sleep. Would you consider her to be a selfish person? I suggest you wear a #metoo t-shirt.