• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Aussie flu

I thought the flu jab had protected me from the worst of it and I was on the mend but I feel much worse today. Luckily I've got a stash of casserole in the freezer that I didn't deplete when I merely felt shit.

41 minutes ago, This Time said:

I thought the flu jab had protected me from the worst of it and I was on the mend but I feel much worse today. Luckily I've got a stash of casserole in the freezer that I didn't deplete when I merely felt shit.

I feel worse today and felt worse yesterday than I did on Thurs. Terrible thing.

If anyone is well I strongly suggest you stock up on all the stuff you need to keep you at home for a good week or more. I feel awful.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I feel worse today and felt worse yesterday than I did on Thurs. Terrible thing.

If anyone is well I strongly suggest you stock up on all the stuff you need to keep you at home for a good week or more. I feel awful.

Various offers at Lidl over the last few weeks and that I bake my own bread and brew my own beer means that, bar milk and eggs, I'm good for a month.

There is a lot of flu going about and as it's well over ten years since I had it I'm overdue, though I have improved my odds with the flu jab.

Total sympathy to anyone with it as it is four days of total misery.

53 minutes ago, This Time said:

So you had this year's flu jab and still got ill?

My OH has had the jab and I haven't so we will conduct an experiment if either of us goes down with it.

So far I don't know of ANYONE who has had it. But then we are retired and live in rural France so don't get about much and certainly not into the cities and fleshpots! But still!

More worried for our 3 (adult) kids. There are 2 living in UK one, (one in a small city, one rural), and the 3rd is in a big city in Holland. So far none of them know anyone who has had it either.  Odd? (Not that we want to get it, of course!)

We are probably more at risk of Lyme's disease here in the countryside in France  ie got small ticks walking around in the house all the time, even thought they are supposed to be dead or dug in during winter? Eg Got yet another live/walking one last night. Dog was staring at her cushion so I went over to investigate ...and hey presto, another one! We had loads in December, but we haven't actually been bitten since summer-time, so maybe they are a bit dopier in winter? 

Anyway, I am worried that one of our kids is travelling to China today, for work. So long haul and going thru airports and all that. Would be so rough to be stuck in China all alone with this flu eh?

So where are the epicentres? And what's the demographic?  The whole of the UK is code red now according to the map in the Daily Mail. And France too! So where are they all?!

I am guessing you and TMT haven't even reported your flu to the GP so will not count in the UK stats?

23 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Good that you and the other flu sufferers living alone are checking in - so we know you are still alive!  (Hope the worst is almost over.) Maybe we should have  set up a quarantine thread just for you guys tho? (Just to be safe!)

1 minute ago, whocares said:

Good that you and the other flu sufferers living alone are checking in - so we know you are still alive!  (Hope the worst is almost over.) Maybe we should have  set up a quarantine thread just for you guys tho? (Just to be safe!)

If I was older and frailer this is the thing that will kill me off. I stocked up on lemsip and vit c, vit d, lemons, thankfully for such an eventuality but I have burned through them all and will start running out tomorrow. I mean, it is a very intensive battle that goes through your 'weapons' rapidly.

10 minutes ago, whocares said:

My OH has had the jab and I haven't so we will conduct an experiment if either of us goes down with it.

So far I don't know of ANYONE who has had it. But then we are retired and live in rural France so don't get about much and certainly not into the cities and fleshpots! But still!

More worried for our 3 (adult) kids. There are 2 living in UK one, (one in a small city, one rural), and the 3rd is in a big city in Holland. So far none of them know anyone who has had it either.  Odd? (Not that we want to get it, of course!)

We are probably more at risk of Lyme's disease here in the countryside in France  ie got small ticks walking around in the house all the time, even thought they are supposed to be dead or dug in during winter? Eg Got yet another live/walking one last night. Dog was staring at her cushion so I went over to investigate ...and hey presto, another one! We had loads in December, but we haven't actually been bitten since summer-time, so maybe they are a bit dopier in winter? 

Anyway, I am worried that one of our kids is travelling to China today, for work. So long haul and going thru airports and all that. Would be so rough to be stuck in China all alone with this flu eh?

So where are the epicentres? And what's the demographic?  The whole of the UK is code red now according to the map in the Daily Mail. And France too! So where are they all?!

I am guessing you and TMT haven't even reported your flu to the GP so will not count in the UK stats?

I won't be bothering the NHS unless it turns into pneumonia or I need fluids. It's nowhere near as bad as swine flu so far - every time I fell asleep I sweated out all my moisture,  my temperature shot up to over 40 degrees and I needed to drink about two litres of water to get it back down - should have been in hospital really.

You definitely don't want Lyme disease - I have it and it almost killed me, still might. Most doctors just don't believe it exists beyond the first few weeks of infection so you're stuck with self treatment or very expensive private treatment that's mostly quackery.

27 minutes ago, whocares said:

The Welsh NHS does not have the means to know how many people have it. So whatever you hear about Wales is no doubt hugely under-reported. Just info from A&E and GP surgeries. I suspect the appallingly run Welsh NHS and Welsh Assembly want it this way to try and cover up their incompetence.

So, nope, no one officially knows that I have it.

The flu jab is only effective about 30% of the time I have read. The flu jab going around the West since the Autumn protects not a jot from the Aussie flu strain.

You and your family might just be lucky in that you have some immunity in your bodies. Or you simpy have not come into contact with it.

I was in Saainsbury's a few days before I came down with it and there was a bloke sneezing - huge sneezes in the aisles. He would walk to an empty aisle and sneeze. I don't think he was delliberately trying to spread anything. Just did not wish to be seen sneezing. But the c*nt was not covering his mouth and nose at all. Ditto a chap in Tesco.

I also went to a chemist the day before I got unwell to pick up some lemsip. As I did so I noticed, too late, that the counter was covered in lads of liquid droplets of some kind as if someone had had a huge sneeze by the till. Not good.

But it could be anything - door handles, self service tills, ATM's.

Where is everyone - in bed.

32 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I also went to a chemist the day before I got unwell to pick up some lemsip. As I did so I noticed, too late, that the counter was covered in lads of liquid droplets of some kind as if someone had had a huge sneeze by the till. Not good.

Slightly ironic that the very act of preparing in case you got the flu may have actually been what caused you to get it.

32 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The Welsh NHS does not have the means to know how many people have it. So whatever you hear about Wales is no doubt hugely under-reported. Just info from A&E and GP surgeries. I suspect the appallingly run Welsh NHS and Welsh Assembly want it this way to try and cover up their incompetence.

So, nope, no one officially knows that I have it.

The flu jab is only effective about 30% of the time I have read. The flu jab going around the West since the Autumn protects not a jot from the Aussie flu strain.

You and your family might just be lucky in that you have some immunity in your bodies. Or you simpy have not come into contact with it.

I was in Saainsbury's a few days before I came down with it and there was a bloke sneezing - huge sneezes in the aisles. He would walk to an empty aisle and sneeze. I don't think he was delliberately trying to spread anything. Just did not wish to be seen sneezing. But the c*nt was not covering his mouth and nose at all. Ditto a chap in Tesco.

But it could be anything - door handles, self service tills, ATM's.

Where is everyone - in bed.

I find the checkout assistance the worst. They cough in their hands then handle your food as it comes through the checkout. 

Why don't the stores supply tissues and hand sanitiser to each till. 

Just had a week of aussie flu. There's a fortune waiting for anyone that can isolate the appetite loss part of it. 14 lbs lost in 7 days. 

The coughing is tedious beyond belief. So tired I need to be laying down. Laying down makes me cough so I have to sit up. A spoonful of Nutella or similar helps reduce the throat tickle.

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Slightly ironic that the very act of preparing in case you got the flu may have actually been what caused you to get it.

Yes, fecking ironic. I made one mistake - should have stayed away from chemists.

But I had been fighting a sore throat for a few days prior to that - and that is often the first sign of flu as it attacks the membranes in the back of the throat first - so I most probably picked it up days beforehand.

I am going to buy myself one of those cycling balaclavas for next year or become Japanese and walk around with a face mask on.

8 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I find the checkout assistance the worst. They cough in their hands then handle your food as it comes through the checkout. 

Why don't the stores supply tissues and hand sanitiser to each till. 

Yep, there was a guy in Lidl doing that last week when I was in the line. I made ane excuse and went elsewhere. The worst was the pharmacist who I bought some sinutab from after Boxiing Day - he handed me my change and, as he did so, just coughed into his hands. I wanted to kill him. If I had not already paid I would have walked out. Probably would be worth it to say a fiver.

17 minutes ago, jm51 said:

Just had a week of aussie flu. There's a fortune waiting for anyone that can isolate the appetite loss part of it. 14 lbs lost in 7 days. 

The coughing is tedious beyond belief. So tired I need to be laying down. Laying down makes me cough so I have to sit up. A spoonful of Nutella or similar helps reduce the throat tickle.

The advice is to sit up. Prop yourself up as you open the lungs up more and it makes you cough out the nasty stuff. I know what you mean though about wanting to lie down. I am lying on my back in bed typing this now.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yes, fecking ironic. I made one mistake - should have stayed away from chemists.

But I had been fighting a sore throat for a few days prior to that - and that is often the first sign of flu as it attacks the membranes in the back of the throat first - so I most probably picked it up days beforehand.

I am going to buy myself one of those cycling balaclavas for next year or become Japanese and walk around with a face mask on.

Ah - I think I know just the thing you need ...

image.jpeg.50d0947aa10d320b7cac97cffbb0322e.jpeg

There's been lurgy all round me at work with 3 of the 6 people I work closest with been off with flu like symptoms in the last week and a half.

I started feel off yesterday afternoon like the start of a cold or flu.

I dusted down my nebuliser and nebulised a mixture of vitamin c, manuka honey, tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil into my nose, mouth, throat and lungs for at least half an hour.

Thus far I feel fine just a tad hoarse.

I'll know soon whether its worked.

Edited by JackieO

So far, I don't know of anyone who has had the flu - obviously I have cursed myself now (but am protected by the jab, haha). Had a nasty cold before Christmas but it definitely wasn't flu. Hope all you suffers start to feel better soon. Make use of the online supermarket services to order bulk loads of lemsips etc to see you through rather than struggle out, I remember from the last bout of flu I had how utterly exhausting even getting downstairs was - I had to take a break half way down.

16 minutes ago, JackieO said:

There's been lurgy all round me at work with 3 of the 6 people I work closest with been off with flu like symptoms in the last week and a half.

I started feel off yesterday afternoon like the start of a cold or flu.

I dusted down my nebuliser and nebulised a mixture of vitamin c, manuka honey, tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil into my nose, mouth, throat and lungs for at least half an hour.

Thus far I feel fine just a tad hoarse.

I'll know soon whether its worked.

Keep doing the above regularly.

I've gone through 15 lemsips - now out - in the past 3 days.

I've also gone through my 3 month stash of 1000mg vit C and zinc soluable tablets. Been taking one every couple of hours.

Vitamin D3 almost gone. Taken a load of it. If I had more in I would have taken a mega dosh of 50,000 units a day. Too chicken to try 100,000 units but the thought was on my mind and I might have been tempted if I had enough of them. I have about 10 5,000 capsules left and will finish them today or tomorrow.

Been eating garlic cloves. Also gone through lemons and limes by slicing them up, adding them to a cup with warm water and squeezing the juice out of them.

My point being that this is dreadful and I really recommend stocking up on the above folks if you don't have anything in. Better safe than sorry.

27 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

They have paracetamol in them you know. 
Have you overdone it?

Yep, I know - was worried about that. Actually, it must be longer than 3 days as I went out of my way to do 4 max per 24 hour day and had intervals of no less than 6 hours between each. Uusally 7 hours if I could.

I don't want to worry anyone.....but I'm working in a Scottish Hospital and I've never seen so many cases of pneumonia.

This is a really nasty virus. Nasty little fucker indeed. 

It seems that those that have had the jab still become ill, but those that haven't become seriously ill.