• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Aussie flu

5 minutes ago, ccc said:

I've had the flu once in 40 years. Is that unusual ? 

Just wondering bad hearing all the stories about flu in general and I find it a bit strange. 

I've had it twice in 58 years. 

1976 and 2007 I think. 

2 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

I've had it twice in 58 years. 

1976 and 2007 I think. 

So normal then ?

Maybe it's just all those having a bad cold saying they have the flu that mixes things up.

Theres a huge difference. My one and only flu was horrendous. The old "stick £100 the other side of the room it's yours" test really is accurate imo.

You do literally feel like you are dying :o

18 minutes ago, ccc said:

Just wondering bad hearing all the stories about flu in general and I find it a bit strange. 

I've had it four times and it's way, way, way worse than a cold. When I had it in 1990 I was ill enough that the doctor came to me (they still did house calls back then) and was 50/50 on hospitalizing me. Fucking horrible!

A friend brought me some some soup yesterday. ASKED Me how I was. I replied that if I had a gun then this week I would have shot myself.

Oddly enough, I googled this flu earlier this week and was surprised to read several flu doctors warning people about suicidal thoughts with this flu.

17 minutes ago, ccc said:

I think on average adult people get real flu a couple of times a decade maximum and even then if it is similar to a strain they have already experienced then it may even be almost symptomless. Bad flu occurs when you run up against a really novel strain and that may only be a few occasions in a lifetime. 

Most people claiming to have flu more regularly are usually suffering from something else

7 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I've had it four times and it's way, way, way worse than a cold. When I had it in 1990 I was ill enough that the doctor came to me (they still did house calls back then) and was 50/50 on hospitalizing me. Fucking horrible!

Yep. Brutal. When folk come into the office with a wee sniffle telling everyone they have the flu - I want to smash their face in :ph34r:xD

27 minutes ago, ccc said:

I’m 60 this year and I’ve never had flu. I’ve been in the same house with folk who have it and still escaped it. The worst thing I’ve had when I was a teenager was pleurisy. It was very unpleasant. As I’ve got older I hardly ever even get a cold. For quite a number of years I’ve either had no colds or just a mild one lasting a couple of days. Hopefully my luck will continue!

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I’m 60 this year and I’ve never had flu. I’ve been in the same house with folk who have it and still escaped it. The worst thing I’ve had when I was a teenager was pleurisy. It was very unpleasant. As I’ve got older I hardly ever even get a cold. For quite a number of years I’ve either had no colds or just a mild one lasting a couple of days. Hopefully my luck will continue!

As a fellow Jock do you wander about in shorts during winter if you feel like it ? 

I do and without any evidence I feel it helps to fight against colds and flu.

I quite often get what feels like the start of it - but it fades away. 

I did get that 100 day cough last year -but even that only lasted for 40 days or so - than feck.

Maybe it's the Tennents lager that's the cure for all ailments. :D

3 minutes ago, ccc said:

As a fellow Jock do you wander about in shorts during winter if you feel like it ? 

I do and without any evidence I feel it helps to fight against colds and flu.

I quite often get what feels like the start of it - but it fades away. 

I did get that 100 day cough last year -but even that only lasted for 40 days or so - than feck.

Maybe it's the Tennents lager that's the cure for all ailments. :D

I’m always well wrapped up in winter. Three layers, scarf, hat gloves and boots. The house is kept at about 70 degrees with a stove on 24/7. So I would say I’m soft not hardy. I smoke lots of roll ups everyday but I do eat well IMO, everything homemade, lots of veg and only natural fats. No booze for 25+ years but I’d drink if I thought I wouldn’t end up an alchie again! Regarding house cleanliness I do the minimum but fussy about food hygiene and personal hygiene. No idea really why I don’t get colds.

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

I’m always well wrapped up in winter. Three layers, scarf, hat gloves and boots. The house is kept at about 70 degrees with a stove on 24/7. So I would say I’m soft not hardy. I smoke lots of roll ups everyday but I do eat well IMO, everything homemade, lots of veg and only natural fats. No booze for 25+ years but I’d drink if I thought I wouldn’t end up an alchie again! Regarding house cleanliness I do the minimum but fussy about food hygiene and personal hygiene. No idea really why I don’t get colds.

Maybe you are the exception ?

You sound like the sort of burd who would be sniffling for half the year. xD

Maybe Jock genetics ? 

Actually the good diet part may be a clue. Although that's not very Scottish as most of us lot have a terrible diet. :o

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Hearing how it effects people I don’t think I’ve ever had it 

Had the flu jab every year for about 15 years, fingers crossed it works this year 

7 minutes ago, ccc said:

Maybe you are the exception ?

You sound like the sort of burd who would be sniffling for half the year. xD

Maybe Jock genetics ? 

Actually the good diet part may be a clue. Although that's not very Scottish as most of us lot have a terrible diet. :o

Maybe just lucky and have a good natural immune system helped along with a good diet, lots of walking, not being too clean and rarely taking any medication? Anyway whatever the reason I don’t get colds/flu I hope it continues 🤞

4 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Hearing how it effects people I don’t think I’ve ever had it 

Had the flu jab every year for about 15 years, fingers crossed it works this year 

Lucky fucker. :D Nice work.

2 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Maybe just lucky and have a good natural immune system helped along with a good diet, lots of walking, not being too clean and rarely taking any medication? Anyway whatever the reason I don’t get colds/flu I hope it continues 🤞

As above. 

Was feeling smug yesterday about not getting any colds this winter in spite of having outdoors job and woke up in the middle of the night with minging sore throat and torrent of nose snot :o Blitzing it with vit c tabs and much chilli. Hope it goes soon.

8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Bastards - the lot of you :)

I have been trying to get out of bed for the last 75 minute to go put the kettle on. Just don't have it in me.

I've been in bed all day. I hope it's just a case of hypochondria..:(

ive had it once in my life and felt like i was dying i was totaly fked,a 3rd of my unit have been off this week with flu i was bad last sunday/monday but i had a cold that made me feel a bit shit my work friends have mainly got the flu either i got lucky or they are exaderating.

Worth posting this again - how the flu attacks the body and how to try to fight it. Starts in the back of the throat, turns the body against itself and takes the body some time to work out what is going by which time it is too late. Eventually the body rallies... if you are lucky...

So give your body as much help as possible re loads of vit c, zinc, liquids...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/well/live/flu-h3n2-virus-care-remedy.html

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Worth posting this again - how the flu attacks the body and how to try to fight it. Starts in the back of the throat, turns the body against itself and takes the body some time to work out what is going by which time it is too late. Eventually the body rallies... if you are lucky...

So give your body as much help as possible re loads of vit c, zinc, liquids...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/well/live/flu-h3n2-virus-care-remedy.html

Funny I was about to post this...

26 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

ive had it once in my life and felt like i was dying i was totaly fked,a 3rd of my unit have been off this week with flu i was bad last sunday/monday but i had a cold that made me feel a bit shit my work friends have mainly got the flu either i got lucky or they are exaderating.

It's gone through my village like a zombie apocalypse. The pub quiz had to be cancelled this week!