• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Cough cough cough

Check your local air pollution.  Whilst I thought London would be bad I'm surprised it's quite this bad relative to the other cities.

Three-quarters of the postcodes with the worst ratings are in London. Those outside the capital include other built-up areas as well as otherwise rural locations near motorways.

Anyway I (unsurprisingly) had a 1 (lowest) for where I live which is going to be the same for most of Cornwall but more surprisingly I had a 1 for my office which is near a busy road junction but is also on high land so I guess the wind does its work.

The worst is 6 - heavily polluted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42566393

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

2 in London suprisingly 

I checked my old flat in the City of London and that was a 3.  Ok not great but I'd have thought it was higher because the central London traffic these days is both mad and 24 hour.

I know that's bollocks straight away.

The pollution rating at my street is 1 out of 6(good)

This is the same as the average for Oldham, which is 1 out of 6 (good).

I have a huge chunk of the M60 going past me about 400-500m away. You're not telling me there's no poor air! 

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I checked my old flat in the City of London and that was a 3.  Ok not great but I'd have thought it was higher because the central London traffic these days is both mad and 24 hour.

My central London office is 3.  Suprised too.

now, call me a cynic but I wonder what type of pollution is included?  Bet it is not everything. Bet it is only that produced by cars.  Used to justify the charges for driving in London that are coming down the line.  

A special camera? One that detects pollution? Specifically NO2?  

Looks like a thermal camera to me, one which detects temperature differences including the brake disks of the car on the right. It would be an unusual IC engined vehicle that did not emit some heat from the exhaust.

Amazing productions indeed.

5a55f10a3a70a_ScreenShot2018-01-10at10_53_16.thumb.png.5016b955dc084c62d1efce912dd4fa1c.png

Edited by onlyme

Overpopulation swamping the infrastructure available causes additional pollution too,  Cars at standstill or crawling is woefully inefficient and pollution creating. Increasing the building density severely reduces airflow through the city.Hardly ever gets mentioned in the context of pollution.

I always wondered - does vehicle pollution tend to rise up in, say,  a V shape, rather than spread out horizontally in the vicinity? Does it depend on the wind etc?

There are loads of houses on roads that are pretty much 24*7 - I would hate to live there. How would you get any fresh air on the house?

9 minutes ago, BigV said:

I always wondered - does vehicle pollution tend to rise up in, say,  a V shape, rather than spread out horizontally in the vicinity? Does it depend on the wind etc?

There are loads of houses on roads that are pretty much 24*7 - I would hate to live there. How would you get any fresh air on the house?

NO2 is heavier than air so once cooled from the exhaust will tend to sink and collect where there is no air movement. Gases diffuse naturally but start constraining them by the built environment around them and they will have much higher concentrations than would otherwise be the case where there is free air movement to aid the dispersal.