• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

well one of my work colleges has just been given persmision to drop his shifts down to 10 a month,he says his morgage is paid off he has no debt has such and just cant be arsed any longer,it started off a debate about how much desposable income we needed to have an ok life.he is single btw and no dependants.another lad is part time shares a house with 2 other men and works 2 days a week so maybe takes home 940-960.has he has lots of time off he bulk cooks and is adapt at finding reduced food,he spends most nights in different pubs playing guitar with folkbands and openmikes etc,he loves his life and gets quite a bit of free beer.semi droping out does seem to have some advantages if your not materialistic

And as someone posted on here (I would credit them if I could remember who) there does seem to be a strong link between years of full time work and life expectancy.

I have bored people on here enough with my impending retirement but in the last year two people I worked with and liked have died in harness both short of sixty and it's making me think I ought to seriously bring it forward.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

And as someone posted on here (I would credit them if I could remember who) there does seem to be a strong link between years of full time work and life expectancy.

I have bored people on here enough with my impending retirement but in the last year two people I worked with and liked have died in harness both short of sixty and it's making me think I ought to seriously bring it forward.

Wish i could do the same ,best i can do is another three years in my game then pastures new if everything goes to plan (famous last words )  ,hopefully 3 months  hard`ish work a year 

IMO this is the reason for lots of the staff problems in the public sector (teachers, nurses, etc).

People in their 50s in the PS often have years of pay rises, a rock-solid pension and the house paid off.   Yet they're on the same pay conditions (sort of) as the youngsters -- plenty of public appeal to increase pay, etc.  On top of this, cost of 'basic living' is going down (food, energy, even cars, etc), even as costs to 'set yourself up' living is going ever higher (housing, paying back education, etc)

So, many of them decide to go part time, or early-retire, as they've got plenty of cash.  And all the while life gets harder for those at the bottom of the system.

IMO we'll eventually have a reset.  Not happened yet, though.

I went 4.5 and soon 4 days a week. Simply because I pay over 50% tax on the last day of my income and I'm not going to work to give half my labour to the state, especially not when I drove past the council flats on Sunday and saw they had the windows open it was so hot inside!

My take home will be about 1600 euros a month (the wife works hence the high tax) so that doesn't leave much spare cash given everything has gone up. We have to pay a 7 euro "terrorist tax" for each insurance contract we take out now - they should stick that on halal food if you ask me.

25 minutes ago, dgul said:

IMO this is the reason for lots of the staff problems in the public sector (teachers, nurses, etc).

People in their 50s in the PS often have years of pay rises, a rock-solid pension and the house paid off.   Yet they're on the same pay conditions (sort of) as the youngsters -- plenty of public appeal to increase pay, etc.  On top of this, cost of 'basic living' is going down (food, energy, even cars, etc), even as costs to 'set yourself up' living is going ever higher (housing, paying back education, etc)

So, many of them decide to go part time, or early-retire, as they've got plenty of cash.  And all the while life gets harder for those at the bottom of the system.

IMO we'll eventually have a reset.  Not happened yet, though.

Kind of...

when I first started work, loads of people in their early fifties were getting massive payoffs and a full pension to go.  Me, I'm in harness until at least 67. So, it makes sense to not kill my self and to wok part time. 

I don't own a car, live walking distance to work, and rent a really nice one bed apartment.

No car costs, no commuting costs, no council tax, no heating bills (apartment is always warm for some reason), no maintenance costs on my gaff. All I pay is rent and food.

I reckon if I really tried, I could live on about £1000 a month at the moment, although that would involve stopping socializing and eating out -  and that's as a single, childless person.

Some people are obsessed with retiring early; but I see it on a sliding scale, i.e. being able to work 3 or 4 days a week instead of 5, or being able to do a low stress job you enjoy because you don't need that extra 10 or 20 grand a year to keep up with the Jones', and being in better health as the decades pass because of this.

Edited by JoeDavola

I spent about £35k last year. Ten holidays in that so worth it. 

I earn decent money so can afford it. Maybe one day I won't. Least I will have had plenty of fun. :D

Just now, ccc said:

I earn decent money so can afford it. Maybe one day I won't. Least I will have had plenty of fun. :D

TEN!!!

Just now, ccc said:

I think we need to start a 'career advice' topic! Fair play to ya!

22 minutes ago, davidg said:

I went 4.5 and soon 4 days a week. Simply because I pay over 50% tax on the last day of my income and I'm not going to work to give half my labour to the state, especially not when I drove past the council flats on Sunday and saw they had the windows open it was so hot inside!

My take home will be about 1600 euros a month (the wife works hence the high tax) so that doesn't leave much spare cash given everything has gone up. We have to pay a 7 euro "terrorist tax" for each insurance contract we take out now - they should stick that on halal food if you ask me.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

well my cousin would have been 52 today the same age has me,and we burried him 4 weeks before christmas.a quick root through my facebook and ive found that no less that 5 are dead and all were under 55,that might not sound that bad but ive only got 260 facebook friends thats scary

I realised about 5 years ago that it would be near impossible for me to have even the modest retirement my parents have had.

As I have said before I will be damned if I am working full time till 67 and will quite gladly live the simple life so I am cutting my cloth for it to be no longer than 62.

There will be a huge number of people with no plan who will be worse off than me.

Plan is to kill off as many bills/debts as possible and not squander any lump sum I get out of the pension pot.

20 minutes ago, ccc said:

the lads im on about will retire on basic pension so you could argue its a daft idea but neither can be arsed and want more life now whilst they can enjoy it.must admit you made me smile at 10 holidays

19 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

This isn't a thread for people with kids, is it?

What is this concept of 'disposable income' you talk of?

But just wait until August (all being well) :Jumping:

oh i dont know, half the countrys aready part time via working tax

3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

the lads im on about will retire on basic pension so you could argue its a daft idea but neither can be arsed and want more life now whilst they can enjoy it.must admit you made me smile at 10 holidays

10 holidays on your own probably costs about the same as a two week family holiday.

Bastard.

10 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

This isn't a thread for people with kids, is it?

What is this concept of 'disposable income' you talk of?

But just wait until August (all being well) :Jumping:

What happens in August?  You have a contract out on the kids?

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I'm divorced (no kids or maintenance to pay for) and am mortgage free, which was a result of hard saving for about 20 years as well as an inheritance (although even if I had not inherited I would still only need a small mortgage). 

I've worked part time for a few years but found that it was getting stressful as they were trying to squeeze me into a full time job three days a week. So I quit and now do a couple of days a week work from home for a website, this brings in £800 pcm after tax. This covers all my basics like utilities, food, sink-fund, clothing, car, etc. 

I worked out that if necessary I could survive on that indefinitely, but it would require a lot of care, make do and mend, thrift, foraging etc.

Fortunately I also make a living as a writer which I enjoy and do as and when I like, and that brings in around £1500-£2000 pcm which pays for all my luxuries, holidays etc. 

What kind of writing, if you don't mine me asking?  You the person who wrote Harry Potter?  

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

you will miss them honest,ok maybe im lying.

No. They have been around long enough now that it is time for them to fly the nest.

That is the problem with kids. I reckon about 10 years is long enough for anyone - I can't think of any other species that devotes so much of their time to rearing offspring.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

You have that in writing?  In a cast iron contract drafted by a solicitor? 

Very nearly.

And it makes little odds as my wife and I are leaving home as well.:)

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

No. They have been around long enough now that it is time for them to fly the nest.

That is the problem with kids. I reckon about 10 years is long enough for anyone - I can't think of any other species that devotes so much of their time to rearing offspring.

Bring on the robot childminders! 

24 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

ive only got 260 facebook friends

A real Billy no mates aren't you?