• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic Apple

Favourite car colour is now Black/Grey - Brexit to blame

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

My car is white, because it was £600 more to have a colour.

My car is grey-ish. Black was far more expensive.

Judging by that article, I should have had it bullshit coloured.

1 minute ago, Wahoo said:

My car is grey because I don't have to wash the bastard thing every other day. 

Ahh, I wash mine every day.

It'll be grey soon

3 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

My car is grey because I don't have to wash the bastard thing every other day. 

VAG do a great grey for that. My current car and a previous were the same and the dirt just makes it slowly go a darker shade, rather than looking dirty.

I'm after a newish car soon and the trend for white/black is annoying, I don't want either :(

Edited by Northern Welsh Midlander

My car is grey. Because it’s second hand and the spec and the price are critical while the colour is (virtually) irrelevant. All things being equal I would have chosen black.

Amusingly, 4 other parents on my kid’s football team now have a Golf in the same colour. It can look a little weird if we all turn up at roughly the same time.

17 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

My car is white, because it was £600 more to have a colour.

Would have been money well spent no-one who isn't a police force or running a wedding car hire business should own one.

4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Would have been money well spent no-one who isn't a police force or running a wedding car hire business should own one.

Yes, personally, I'd have liked a colour although I still wouldn't have shelled out £600 for the luxury, but it's also sign written and no colour would have really 'worked' as well. All modern water-based car paints are shit though, as soft as fekk

Edited by Hopeful

Metallic gun metal type grey, often seen on Audis, looks ok but this type of grey that looks like it's only had primer on is terrible seems like a lower end version of people who spend a fortune having someone stick matt black vinyl all over their Bentley which looks similarly awful.

AETV66643663_1.jpg

Edited by SNACR

5 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Metallic gun metal type grey, often seen on Audis, looks ok but this type of grey that looks like it's only had primer on is terrible seems like a lower end version of people who spend a fortune having someone stick matt black vinyl all over their Bentley which looks similarly awful.

Agreed, looks unfinished. This type of grey is good if you don't like washing your car:

$_86.JPG

Edited by Northern Welsh Midlander

6 minutes ago, This Time said:

I hate dark grey cars - they're really hard to see as they blend in with the tarmac too well.

Nowhere near as bad as fuckwit smoothie company Innocent who did this to all their delivery vehicles which certainly isn't going to mix with any country lane:

I think that is part of the reason why army trucks and land rovers have always driven around with their headlights on when on public roads

Innocent_drinks_company1.jpg

7 minutes ago, This Time said:

I hate dark grey cars - they're really hard to see as they blend in with the tarmac too well.

I wrote off a brand new Mercedes, T-boned; my fault only on a technicality, the other driver hadn't seen me as it was the colour of rain on a dark night (grey) and it happened on a rainy, dark night.

this is our current driver... right on trend - would have preferred blue.

60A76557-9173-461F-AD28-054F50D076E1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Isn't it obligatory to drive with lights on now in the UK, day or night? If not then it should be IMO. 

No, but all new cars must have DRLs.

Lights on in the daytime used to be associated with either Volvo owners or aggressive tailgating BMWs but I am fairly sold they are a good idea.

14 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I wrote off a brand new Mercedes, T-boned; my fault only on a technicality, the other driver hadn't seen me as it was the colour of rain on a dark night (grey) and it happened on a rainy, dark night.

this is our current driver... right on trend - would have preferred blue.

60A76557-9173-461F-AD28-054F50D076E1.jpeg

Has that got the labia inspired rear lights a lot of current Mercs seems to have?

Car colour fashion follows a sequence.  20 years ago it was silver.  10 years ago it was white.  Black comes next.

Stupid though.  Black and silver are both associated with a significantly higher risk of accident.  Accident rates would go down by a measurable amount if we all drove brightly coloured cars.  

28 minutes ago, SNACR said:

No, but all new cars must have DRLs.

Lights on in the daytime used to be associated with either Volvo owners or aggressive tailgating BMWs but I am fairly sold they are a good idea.

I'm not.  DRL work by two mechanisms. 

• They do improve the visibility of the vehicle, but not by much and mainly around the times when people should have turned their lights on anyway.  It is a 'help foolish people to safely drive complex machines safely even if they're really forgetful and aren't actually paying attention' mechanism; like many driver aids it serves to remove focus from their activity, not improve.
  • Having your lights on during the day definitely works really well, but only so long as most people haven't got theirs on.  This is increased contrast through apparent rarity.  At least some of the evidence for DRL is because of apparent rarity -- but if everyone has got theirs on then apparent rarity doesn't work any more.  But there is one group that did benefit massively from the apparent rarity effect -- motorcycles.  They have a smaller visual cross-section than cars (and most people in the UK can't even see them at all), so riding with lights on did give a useful increase in visibility.  Much of this benefit is lost with DRL.

Anyway, with DRL everywhere the apparent rarity effect is lost; the overall impact is 'makes bugger all difference for cars, reduced visibility for motorcycles.'

DRLs that only operate on the front are a menace, especially the LED ones bright enough for drivers to drive on during dust/dawn. The number of morons using them not realizing they have NO rear lights...

My current car has auto lights which seem to be really good. In current conditions they will be on all day if I was driving around, but on bright days they go off. Never need to think about them.

I have a light metallic blue car.

Last year I spent a bit of time on car configurators. It boils my piss when, if you don't like white, you have to shell out another £500 or so ( as @Hopeful posted). What about the non metallic blues, greens, reds etc? They were no cost options on most cars a decade or 2 ago.

Surprised that Dacia doesn't do this given their value driven philosophy. It's either white or an extra £495 for a metallic colour.