• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

https://www.economist.com/news/international/21734365-they-are-also-lonelier-and-more-isolated-teenagers-are-better-behaved-and-less?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/teenagersarebetterbehavedandlesshedonisticnowadaystheyouthoftoday

Kids are no longer drinking, injecting, smoking or screwing.

Thinks.... ah yes rise in religious fundamentalism across the West coupled with boys being more interested in online gaming than girls.

Edited by davidg

10 minutes ago, davidg said:

https://www.economist.com/news/international/21734365-they-are-also-lonelier-and-more-isolated-teenagers-are-better-behaved-and-less?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/teenagersarebetterbehavedandlesshedonisticnowadaystheyouthoftoday

Kids are no longer drinking, injecting, smoking or screwing.

Thinks.... ah yes rise in religious fundamentalism across the West coupled with boys being more interested in online gaming than girls.

That, and the reduction in environmental lead. And "helicopter parenting".

In the late 80s early 90s they'd generally serve you a few jars at age 15 or 16 so long as you weren't acting like a dick. That wouldn't happen these days. Its also harder for kids to get alcohol from an offy these days. So that probably accounts for why some kids aren't drinking until they're a bit older.

Slightly surprising they aren't all doing more illegal shit. 

I do worry what life has in store for my young un when he is a teen-ager - social media is a fucking nightmare, it's no wonder there is a lot of unhappiness / mental problems around. 

Edit - I suspect there is a correlation between less underage drinking and less sex! :)

Edited by BigV

Depends on the kids and who's brought them up. 

Plus, most of the above is physical stuff that can be observed. Most bad/stupid behaviour from kids today can be found online. That's quite difficult to measure.

1 hour ago, BigV said:

In the late 80s early 90s they'd generally serve you a few jars at age 15 or 16 so long as you weren't acting like a dick. That wouldn't happen these days. Its also harder for kids to get alcohol from an offy these days. So that probably accounts for why some kids aren't drinking until they're a bit older.

I do worry what life has in store for my young un when he is a teen-ager - social media is a fucking nightmare, it's no wonder there is a lot of unhappiness / mental problems around. 

Edit - I suspect there is a correlation between less underage drinking and less sex! :)

Most kids I knew in the 80s got an elder brother to buy cheap cider for them, and drank it in the park. I don't see why that would have become substantially more difficult.

5 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Most kids I knew in the 80s got an elder brother to buy cheap cider for them, and drank it in the park. I don't see why that would have become substantially more difficult.

Fewer parks?

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

The appeal of getting wasted, spending £40 on a taxi, £10 on a packet of cigarettes which you cant smoke indoors, £5 on a pint of beer, etc all tend to lose their appeal when you only earn £6k a year part-time on zero hours contract. Added to that, if you're out late nowadays in most town centres, you run the very real risk of being mugged/stabbed by an incomer who will then get a suspended sentence if they even bother to show at court. Easier just to stay in, really.

Gold star post.

Even arch capitalist Henry Ford knew that if you wanted people to buy (your stuff) they needed to earn enough to do so. A point totally lost on today's 1%ers and their pet politicians.

5 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Gold star post.

Even arch capitalist Henry Ford knew that if you wanted people to buy (your stuff) they needed to earn enough to do so. A point totally lost on today's 1%ers and their pet politicians.

And yet, Henry Ford the 1st is now derided as a racist anti-semite. I wonder if it's really about the fact that he was a true capitalist and not a corporatist/globalist/greedy shitbag.

3 hours ago, BigV said:

Yeah - I worked in a lot of bars in the UK and used to serve well behaved teenagers who wanted a pint after a long day in the countryside.  The publicans knew which ones to serve and which ones to demand ID from, and also that a group of over 2-3 was always to be ID'd.

Of course, with a move away from community linked police, that ability to tailor laws to the situation has gone in much of the country - the force WILL take action now if they get to hear of it

1 minute ago, wherebee said:

Yeah - I worked in a lot of bars in the UK and used to serve well behaved teenagers who wanted a pint after a long day in the countryside.  The publicans knew which ones to serve and which ones to demand ID from, and also that a group of over 2-3 was always to be ID'd.

Of course, with a move away from community linked police, that ability to tailor laws to the situation has gone in much of the country - the force WILL take action now if they get to hear of it

Depends where you go, I was in a provincial Welsh town at Christmas, every other pub seemed to be having a lock-in. I think you need to live in somewhere very rural to be able to enjoy the days of old.

4 minutes ago, wherebee said:

17 minutes ago, 201p said:

Many youths smoke weed round here and get drunk.

A family member who is 16 says his friends get cocaine and heroin with ease off the internet and have never had a packet seized.

He had a party recently when his mum was away and the police raided it, saw white powder spread out all over the table but decided to take no action and just let them get on with it, as long as they stopped making a racket. So that could also be why usage is supposedly "dropping", i.e the number of police reports is dropping.