• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

Pregnant PM in NZ

Now I realise I'm on very shaky ground here with feminists who will cry misogyny, but I don't think someone who is Prime Minister of a country should be getting pregnant. In my defence I don't think it's that great an idea for male Prime Ministers to be having children while in office either, a massive distraction, and I have nothing against female Prime Ministers that are not pregnant.

Yeah yeah they can afford top-class nannies and hubby is going to stay at home in the NZ case which helps, but IMO there is no way she will be able to give full attention to the job.  A study was just published in the Medical Journal of Australia that suggests strongly that cognitive and decision-making functions are affected by pregnancy.

Being PM is demanding, or should be anyway, probably wouldn't be the case if that twat Boris Johnson ever got in in the UK.

What say you, Mumsnetters Dosbodders?

Agreed.

How much time will she have to bond with her child (the science is showing that babies who are shipped of to creches early don't do as well as those with one on one care from a parent), while holding down such a high profile job?

You can't take on a high profile career like that and look after a baby at the same time. Likely she'll not be able to do either of these things satisfactorily, while letting on to the outside world that she is able to do both perfectly....to convince a new generation of feminists to sink years into all-consuming careers that will leave a big percentage of them miserable and childless.

Edited by JoeDavola

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Agreed.

How much time will she have to bond with her child (the science is showing that babies who are shipped of to creches early don't do as well as those with one on one care from a parent), while holding down such a high profile job?

You can't take on a high profile career like that and look after a baby at the same time. Likely she'll not be able to do either of these things satisfactorily, while letting on to the outside world that she is able to do both perfectly....to convince a new generation of feminists to sink years into all-consuming careers that will leave a big percentage of them miserable and childless.

All the liberal countries will be trying to top this now. Canada will have to get a wheelchair bound dyke knocked up with a turkey baster to do better. 

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

Thatcher was easily the best prime minister of my life time.

True, there are exceptions. But then look at Mad Merkel for the other side of the coin.

20 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Agreed.

Rubbish! Look at how well Mark Thatcher turned out....    :ph34r:

As a single dad bringing up two kids on my own for the last 6 years, and prior to that with a drunk/BPD wife who could barely parent, I haven't got a problem with this. The dad will probably do a better job than the mother quite frankly, and she seems to be decent/undeluded enough (from what I can tell) and with the right management skills (ministers should do their jobs) I don't see why being PM should necessarily be a 24/7 job with no family time - it's not as if NZ has major issues with ROPers or is at war requiring their leader to to be up at all hours. Good luck to them.

I agree that it is less than ideal in case she feels ill/not at her best. Pregnancy is not an illness but you never know when your health could be seriously affected be the condition. And not quite the same as Treason May's well-controlled (one hopes) diabetese type 1. (Which is a life-long condition. Whereas the PM of NZ (don't know much about her, if she already has kids or how old she is etc) could have had a child before taking office or afterwards? (So why do it now?)

Also think (some) women can make excellent leaders. But probably fewer women (than men) are suitable for PM. Like Jordan Peterson says, there are (typical) male characteristics and (typical) female characteristics. And I think that probably the male characteristics work better in a top job? (Less emotional?)  That's not a reason to discriminate against or bar women from high office - just a justification for there being fewer woman at the top.

Love that idea of only women voting in only men! However, in the UK we would now have had Steptoe in by now I suppose?!

Hahaha - just discovered there's an enforced auto change in operation, to change Crbyn to Steptoe! :Jumping:

Edited by whocares

Right.  I'm going to say something extraordinarily inflammatory. People might not like it.

IMO women that have just given birth go 'stupid' for about 9 months.  It is temporary and only for a short time.  But they go stupid.

I've quite a bit of experience with women who've had children, and it appears to be true about 80% of the time.

IMO (and I have absolutely no supporting evidence) it is because, from an evolutionary ecology point of view, a mother has to devote all of their energies to the baby for this period.  They can't be going about doing 'clever stuff' when they've got a small child that might die if they stop doting after it.

[OTOH, the father (from an evolutionary ecology point of view) has to go about providing for the expanded family -- so their behaviour might be to knuckle down and work harder.  There certainly seems to be a temporary aggression that comes in new fathers (protect the vulnerable family).]

I actually think that this is the real reason for maternity leave -- people have recognised this problem in the past and thought that the best way to cope would be to get the new mother away from doing anything that they thought they could do (because they could do it before) but actually couldn't.

Anyway, as you might imagine, with this theory NZ is going to be in trouble...

[of course, actually it won't -- but only because they'll do risk reduction by having the deputy PM and Cabinet taking over loads of tasks and at least checking everything.]

2 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Now I realise I'm on very shaky ground here with feminists who will cry misogyny, but I don't think someone who is Prime Minister of a country should be getting pregnant. In my defence I don't think it's that great an idea for male Prime Ministers to be having children while in office either, a massive distraction, and I have nothing against female Prime Ministers that are not pregnant.

Yeah yeah they can afford top-class nannies and hubby is going to stay at home in the NZ case which helps, but IMO there is no way she will be able to give full attention to the job.  A study was just published in the Medical Journal of Australia that suggests strongly that cognitive and decision-making functions are affected by pregnancy.

Being PM is demanding, or should be anyway, probably wouldn't be the case if that twat Boris Johnson ever got in in the UK.

What say you, Mumsnetters Dosbodders?

I get what you are saying, look at the childless ones though- Sturgeon, May and Merkel. It's not ideal but if she has a child she may start to give enough of a fuck that she fights for the future of her people.

I think women politicians would be fine if things were great, things are quite badly fucked though, and I suspect we need a strong man to lead us, at least until we are free from the dangers we face as a race.

14 minutes ago, dgul said:

Right.  I'm going to say something extraordinarily inflammatory. People might not like it.

IMO women that have just given birth go 'stupid' for about 9 months.  It is temporary and only for a short time.  But they go stupid.

I've quite a bit of experience with women who've had children, and it appears to be true about 80% of the time.

IMO (and I have absolutely no supporting evidence) it is because, from an evolutionary ecology point of view, a mother has to devote all of their energies to the baby for this period.  They can't be going about doing 'clever stuff' when they've got a small child that might die if they stop doting after it.

[OTOH, the father (from an evolutionary ecology point of view) has to go about providing for the expanded family -- so their behaviour might be to knuckle down and work harder.  There certainly seems to be a temporary aggression that comes in new fathers (protect the vulnerable family).]

I actually think that this is the real reason for maternity leave -- people have recognised this problem in the past and thought that the best way to cope would be to get the new mother away from doing anything that they thought they could do (because they could do it before) but actually couldn't.

Anyway, as you might imagine, with this theory NZ is going to be in trouble...

[of course, actually it won't -- but only because they'll do risk reduction by having the deputy PM and Cabinet taking over loads of tasks and at least checking everything.]

This isn't anything new.

It's known as baby brain. 

A huge number of women have zero problem admitting it happens to them.

6 minutes ago, ccc said:

This isn't anything new.

It's known as baby brain. 

A huge number of women have zero problem admitting it happens to them.

Great.  So presumably the NZ PM is happy to concede it might happen and then everyone can have a nice chat about how it should be managed?

Or are they just going to ignore it because it isn't PC?

28 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think anyone of that age, man or woman, should be Prime Minister.  There should be a minimum age of, say, 45 in order to ensure that they are sufficiently mature.

I never thought that until I was well into my 5th decade.

What are your thoughts on Alexander the Great, William Pit the younger, Jesus Christ?'

20 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

What are your thoughts on Alexander the Great, William Pit the younger, Jesus Christ?'

JC was a bit deluded, sometimes he though he was Tony Blair

54 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Alexander the Great - lunatic

Pitt the Younger - crippled by debt which would have affected his judgement

3 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

All the liberal countries will be trying to top this now. Canada will have to get a wheelchair bound dyke knocked up with a turkey baster to do better. 

I hope the turkey baster is re-used as single-use plastic is a real problem!

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think anyone of that age, man or woman, should be Prime Minister.  There should be a minimum age of, say, 45 in order to ensure that they are sufficiently mature.

Politicians should be at least 40 with a proven career prior.