• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Cost of a night out

A couple of birds in the office were talking about the cost of a night out. One was saying she spends £100...

I reckon a fairly mundane night out is £30. £10 for a cinema, another £10 for a couple of drinks, another £10 for a train home and some chicken pakora.

The only night out for us would be a meal in a pub and I wouldn't want it to cost more than £40 total for two people, that's for a meal and drinks.

We haven't been out in that sense for over 3 years :)

100 quid on a night out for me would be excessive.

Mind you, if you do decide to hit one of the meat markets for a couple of fifteen quid neon cocktails, listen to Stormzy's latest mouthfart and twerk a chav then 100 quid is easily done. They are sweaty rip-off arenas.

50 quid max for me though I'm off on the piss in London in a couple of weeks so might be in for a shock.

Apart from seeing bands nights out usually end soon after 9.

Except for early doors for football which may be 12, 1,2 or 3 starts - nights out usually start at 5.

Rarely go cinema, maybe twice a year. Never go out for meals. 

Average night between 5 to 9 will drink maybe 8 pints of £2 beers in Spoons. For change of scenery may do a town tour - this adds between £1, £1.50, to £3 plus per pint depending where it is.

Probably averages between £16 to £25 for drinks. Depending as well on who buys first round, and how far around subsequently. Every now and again free pint on promotions by collecting points. Never have wine or spirits out. Don't smoke.

Almost every night out ends bringing home a chicken tikka supreme hot kebab (large), with extra chillies and salad. No chips. Costs £5.90.

Minimum cost for a night out £22 maximum £32. Average £25.

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

Beer is £2.69 a pint in my village local. £100 would get me 37 pints. So at four pints for a good evening, that's nine evenings out. 

Good health!

£2.69 for a pint? Are you writing from the 1980s?

Local pub. £8 starter, £19 main, £3 for veg, no pudding but £2 for bread rolls if feeling flush. Two glasses of wine @ £7 each. £46 each plus service.

If you had to add a babysitter and taxi you are near £200 for a meal out.

We don't go out in the evening.

This was featured on my local news half a dozen years' ago; they were stopping various people in their early 20s and asking just this and the standard response was about £100.  I asked some under 30s at work and got the same answer; though they weren't doing it eveyr Friday rather it was every two to three months.

It was breaking down something like 20 taxis, 20 meal, 10 nightclub, 40 drinks (incuding silly things like aftershock).

I think it was about £15 when I went out about three weeks' back.

46 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

My brother went to a London tourist boozer and it was a tenner for a pint...

On Monday, I was in a Fullers pub in London. Not my choice.

Woman in front of me asked for a large glass of wine. I think it was about 12.

I usually only go for a night out to an occasional concert at Carlisle. Tickets vary from £20 to £30 each. I rarely eat out but I’m tempted to book a seat for £18.50 at a local town restaurant who are doing a “get seated with a stranger” evening next week. Could be interesting/fun or both...could also be a waste of money! 

Lots of free stuff to do in the house in the evenings and I also venture out on decent nights when I get a notification from aurora watch that geomagnetic is higher. I also venture out a lot on calm, moonlight and starry nights to skywatch. Bonus of having a campervan. Fab!

1 hour ago, Economic Exile said:

Lots of free stuff to do in the house in the evenings and I also venture out on decent nights when I get a notification from aurora watch that geomagnetic is higher. I also venture out a lot on calm, moonlight and starry nights to skywatch. Bonus of having a campervan

Sounds excellent - wish we had less light pollution in the south east. I like visiting the relatives in deepest darkest Dorset, a clear night sky on the Jurassic coast is fab.

1 hour ago, Economic Exile said:

I usually only go for a night out to an occasional concert at Carlisle. Tickets vary from £20 to £30 each. I rarely eat out but I’m tempted to book a seat for £18.50 at a local town restaurant who are doing a “get seated with a stranger” evening next week. Could be interesting/fun or both...could also be a waste of money! 

Lots of free stuff to do in the house in the evenings and I also venture out on decent nights when I get a notification from aurora watch that geomagnetic is higher. I also venture out a lot on calm, moonlight and starry nights to skywatch. Bonus of having a campervan. Fab!

I hope it's fun EE; well done you for even being tempted.

Go for it!!!!

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I hope it's fun EE; well done you for even being tempted.

Go for it!!!!

:) I’ll decide by Sunday evening on whether I’m willing to shell out £18.50 for dinner with a stranger. I’m very interested though. I like things that are out of the ordinary!

Kudos to the eating establishment though for even getting someone who rarely eats out to even think about paying 18.50 to cough up!

4 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

A couple of the best nights out I have had were in Cape Town where you just turned up and got seated on a big table with an eclectic mix of people.

I say go for it.

Night in local 15

Round local town 30 as I often finish in the cocktail bar

Manchester midweek including kebab / burger and Uber home 70

Add 20 to 50 to either of the 2nd ones if dining is involved