DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Odd musical experiment

DTMark

I wish to call upon the collective wisdom of the forum.

I've taken two entirely different tracks which both have particular sections that I consider to be "high points" in music. "Musical orgasms" if you will excuse the term.

Things that literally make the hair stand up on the back of my neck and can bring a tear to my eye. Because of their sheer beauty.

But, these aren't ballads, opera, or anything like that. One is an italo-house dance music track and the other is a rock track which itself is a bit of a mix of, IMO, The Pretenders and The Smiths.

One minute from each, oddly cut together back-to-back. They don't exactly "mix". Now, superficially, these seem to have little in common. But, they evoke the same things in me.

One all-synth and one all-real-instruments. And yet, there is something going on in these two sequences that I hear as similar. Maybe it's the frequencies. Perhaps, the "interpolation", the mixing, the style of "overlay", the sounds relative to each other.

Tracks: (linked, if you want to hear the whole thing and thus the context of the clips)

Track #1: House Traffic - Everyday of my Life
Track #2: The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Teenager in Love

I've cut out just the relevant bits for the purpose of direct comparison. You won't struggle to hear when it cuts from one to the other. I should say that these aren't the only "musical high points" for me, albeit, the #1 track is indeed my all-time favourite music track and is "as high as it goes". Nothing has ever managed to get close to it.

In both cases, these are the specific sections at similar points in the recordings - the "break down before the final chorus" sections. Actually, I do think them quite similar on a number of levels.

What am I hearing? What is going on here? Just completely random for you, or, actually, similar and in what ways?

Bedrag Justesen
On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 01:57, DTMark said:

I've taken two entirely different tracks which both have particular sections that I consider to be "high points" in music. "Musical orgasms" if you will excuse the term.

What am I hearing? What is going on here? Just completely random for you, or, actually, similar and in what ways?

The minor chords the major key ?

No clue really.

Can't explain how some songs, or some chord progressions trigger emotions within that are both powerful and instantaneous, almost makes me blush, well actually I feel myself blushing.

Here's an example.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 01:57, DTMark said:

It's a toughie, our musical buttons all seem to be pressed in different ways. Something about track #1 did put me in mind of an old favourite from the 90s though - realise that I haven't listened to it in years...I think I still like it!

2 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

The minor chords the major key ?

No clue really.

Can't explain how some songs, or some chord progressions trigger emotions within that are both powerful and instantaneous, almost makes me blush, well actually I feel myself blushing.

If I put the House Traffic track on, the first of those, on vinyl (I have five, yes, five copies of the 12"), turned up so that it delivers around or just above 100dB at peaks, and sit right in between the two speakers in the living room, it will actually make me burst into tears at the point I sampled above. No, not because it is, to most, literally deafening (I don't do this all the time).

The sense of euphoria comes suddenly as if from nowhere and I'll have tears rolling down my face. My partner thinks this unusual and it probably is. I can have very strong reactions to music.

It doesn't have to be electronica, it isn't in the pounding bass. I think you're onto something with the keys and chords. It's got something to do with the juxtaposition (?) of various sounds and how it's arranged. It also has something to do with the level of detail and the beauty of how it all comes together.

It is also related to structure, which dance music does very well. Maybe it's where my normally logical mind has the support of "structure" and the emotional side of me gets the "beauty" at the same time. That's my best guess at it. The outrageous volume level requirement comes from my clubbing days.

I was flicking through Media Monkey and my "rated 5 out of 5" list. Oddly enough JX "There's Nothing I Won't Do" is in there too. Though I don't hear those as similar, actually, I don't think there's anything similar to the House Traffic track.

I could post so many examples and happened to just pick out those two.

For another example from the 1990s... the original of this track was very different. Remixed by Mike Koglin who just happens to be the same person who remixed that first track above. Now that's not going to be a coincidence :) This one came three years later.

Structure and sheer beauty.

Edit to add: listening to that for the first time in ages, I've had to wipe the tears away to type this.

It definitely has something to do with what's in the 'foreground' juxtaposed with what's in the 'background'. All the 'little noises' and the way it's built.

A tremendous # on the lung

Maybe you are an emotionally constipated man, and it comes out via music! xD I'm joking, though I am a bit that way with daft things like big sporting moments. Or maybe a film.

Mary - great song

Everytime - great song. Though I prefer the Naline & Kane mix

9 hours ago, BigV said:

Maybe you are an emotionally constipated man, and it comes out via music! xD I'm joking, though I am a bit that way with daft things like big sporting moments. Or maybe a film.

That's more intuitive than you might think ;) very good.

While it's probably not so true now, it was when I was in my twenties, "discovering" music.

I don't know whether other genres could have led me on the same path or whether my preference for dance music came about because it was "the thing" back in the mid 1990s and so I fell into it naturally. 

In a clubbing environment, everything else is forgotten and I'm in a different place. On some sort of different "plane". Even sober. This is what happens listening at home. Drugs aren't actually necessary and it isn't the drugs that achieve this.

The Nalin & Kane version doesn't "do it for me" although there are some nice aspects to it. Their track. "Beachball" (?), was a massive hit and yet I just hear it as boring and wonder what all the fuss is about. It "goes nowhere" and just "washes over me". Immediately forgotten. It's the same with that mix.

At a tangent this also explains my interest in sound quality. For instance, the Lustral track, played from YouTube (just did that) doesn't evoke so much because it's so blurred thanks to the down-sampling. It also explains why the emotional side comes out far more when played loud through speakers than with headphones. Headphones don't "bring the music into the room", it's just all dead flat and has no "punch". Everything comes from the same "place". This is with a £130 pair of Sennheiser headphones and a Meridian external DAC.

With decent SQ each tiny little element is separated and in a different part of the room, and it "locks there" no matter how complex the music becomes which makes it much easier to "visualise". It has "presence". It is "three-dimensional". The step down from even just CD quality 16bit 44.1k to YouTube is astronomical. It's really obvious when I listen to the first clip above which is vinyl > 16bit 192k (the best my computer can do) > YouTube (MP3 320k at best). It sounds like a different track as all the nuances and sound-staging have gone. And with it, my ability to engage fully with it. 

To get the "real" experience requires the original vinyl which in turn is a massive step above the PC sampled version as that loses so much. I like my brain to be "kept busy" with the detail. Ironically, dance music tends to have dreadful SQ and rarely gets near the high of an as-live recorded performance. Unless it's that other track in the OP which actually manages to have even worse SQ than the dance track that precedes it and takes so much away. It's like the mics were in the next room to the instruments.

In context, it's the inability to properly hear all those little noises playing off against each other as if you actually had 16 separate speakers in the room in different positions all handling different aspects.

Another observation has to do with some kind of 'strobing' effect which in music is, I think, called syncopation. That seems to attract me. It's highly present in the clip in the OP and also in the Lustral track I posted. Again decent SQ exemplifies this. That is, I suspect, my definition of "beauty".

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

The "We're not a pop band" 1975 - I really like them. Chocolate is awesome.

I really like that. This is what it reminds me of.

Insofar as - the sounds don't need to be relentlessly upbeat for me to hit the spot. Sometimes they can be downright "dreary" and yet have me near tears.

My favourite of 2017: it's called "Between the Road and the Stars".

Archived