• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Fake bank notes warning

Panic ye not.  This happened last year as well.

Shopkeepers in Falmouth have accepted fake IRISH £50 notes.

Now I am not having a go at NI banks, or Scottish banks for that matter, but I would always flat refuse to accept notes from either in change because I have zero idea of how they are meant to appear.  And nor do the shopkeepers apparently.  Sirry iriots.

http://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/fake-50-bank-note-warning-1093698

As a point of interest @JoeDavola @Economic Exile@ccc how common are Scottish / Irish bank notes respectively?  I probably haven't seen one for thirty years so was actually surprised to read last year that they still existed.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Panic ye not.  This happened last year as well.

Shopkeepers in Falmouth have accepted fake IRISH £50 notes.

Now I am not having a go at NI banks, or Scottish banks for that matter, but I would always flat refuse to accept notes from either in change because I have zero idea of how they are meant to appear.  And nor do the shopkeepers apparently.  Sirry iriots.

http://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/fake-50-bank-note-warning-1093698

As a point of interest @JoeDavola @Economic Exile@ccc how common are Scottish / Irish bank notes respectively?  I probably haven't seen one for thirty years so was actually surprised to read last year that they still existed.

Coming from NE im used to scots notes. They are oretty common down to about York, tracking east coast mainline.

Get beyond Sheffield and they are very rare to the point i dont try and use them in the South.

Ive nevef seen an NI note. Do they exist?

All cash notes drawn from machines or given to me e.g. dig money are always Scottish in my neck of the woods. Similarly change given to me as a cash type person are mostly Scottish notes. If I get an English note I look twice sort of scenario.

I’m near the Scotland/England border and that’s my experience.

When I worked in a local bank 25 years ago people always wanted English notes when heading south. Usually customers could be accommodated but of course I’ve no idea how it is now in local banks. The RBS who recently remarketed as the the royal bank for Scotland have decided to close all branches in dumfries and galloway apart form one in dumfries!

Personally, I like cash so I’m not bothered whether notes are English, Irish or Scottish.

6 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

All cash notes drawn from machines or given to me e.g. dig money are always Scottish in my neck of the woods. Similarly change given to me as a cash type person are mostly Scottish notes. If I get an English note I look twice sort of scenario.

I’m near the Scotland/England border and that’s my experience.

When I worked in a local bank 25 years ago people always wanted English notes when heading south. Usually customers could be accommodated but of course I’ve no idea how it is now in local banks. The RBS who recently remarketed as the the royal bank for Scotland have decided to close all branches in dumfries and galloway apart form one in dumfries!

Personally, I like cash so I’m not bothered whether notes are English, Irish or Scottish.

I'm not bothered based upon any principle; just that I don't have a clue what they're meant to look like so I wouldn't take them.  Plus most shops would refuse to take them off me,

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm not bothered based upon any principle; just that I don't have a clue what they're meant to look like so I wouldn't take them.  Plus most shops would refuse to take them off me,

Indeed.

Back in the day people heading south generally wanted English bank notes. I did the same!

Similarly, these days, I’m out of touch with Irish bank notes and would certainly be miffed and question there legality if I was given any. Simply because I don’t know what they look like now.

No problem in my neck of the woods with occasional English or the normality of Scottish notes though

39 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Coming from NE im used to scots notes. They are oretty common down to about York, tracking east coast mainline.

Get beyond Sheffield and they are very rare to the point i dont try and use them in the South.

Ive nevef seen an NI note. Do they exist?

Yes, from several banks.  Pisses me off when heading over to England to work.  Have to go to a ATM when I arrive to get BOE notes as taxi drives etc look at you funny when you hand them a NI note.   Tesco self service tills take them  so I off load them there.

25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's what petrol stations are for.

5 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

Still never seen a real £50 note, never mind a fake one. 

I haven't seen one since 1998 when I needed them for a big cash transaction so got them out of the bank.

Despite the pressure to go cashless you may well be seeing them a lot more in the future.  St Ives is down to IIRC one cashpoint and zero banks so it gets filled with £50 notes in order to reduce the trips to replenish it.

I've heard local traders say that they then get a string of people trying to buy an ice cream or bag of chips with a £50 note and they gave to turn them away because if the ridiculous amount of change they would have to obtain each day combined with there being no local bank from which to obtain it.

On 1/20/2018 at 19:48, Frank Hovis said:

Irish bank notes very common over here. Scottish ones less so, but still see them occasionally.

On 20/01/2018 at 20:27, Economic Exile said:

Indeed.

Back in the day people heading south generally wanted English bank notes. I did the same!

Similarly, these days, I’m out of touch with Irish bank notes and would certainly be miffed and question there legality if I was given any. Simply because I don’t know what they look like now.

No problem in my neck of the woods with occasional English or the normality of Scottish notes though

I used to live in NI and would come back with various notes to the London area. No one would ever accept them, this was in the 90's, and some banks would even refuse to take them. I did have a very awkward meal where I tried to pay with Bank of Ireland and Northern Bank notes and the owner refused to take them. Eventually the police were called and the cops sided with me after calling it in as they had never seen NI notes before either.

None of the non-BoE notes are legal tender in Britain. Not sure about the status of NI notes in NI.

The Scottish and Irish £1 notes were legal tender, but have been withdrawn.

None of which really matters that much, as the law of legal tender only applies to payment of debts, and not other transactions. One can accept almost anything in payment (or for that matter, refuse anything).

There is little to stop a buyer and seller contracting in old notes, or pre-decimal currency, or Euros or French Francs or beads as long as both parties consent to it.

On 21/01/2018 at 21:26, Byron said:

Scan2.thumb.jpg.8881af5fd112684de5a528fe575bc572.jpg

Notice the Queen does not have a crown

I think these have the same status as Channel Island notes, not legal tender in shops but OK to pay them into a UK mainland bank.