• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Blue badge fuckwittery

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42763767

i thought that the reason for blue badges was to help those with limited mobility. 

It seems not and you will be able to get one if you are autistic.  Can someone remind me how autism impacts on mobility?  

From the article:

Disabled parking bay

People with dementia and autism could get blue badge parking permits in England under new government proposals.

It is hoped that providing the permits for those with hidden disabilities will create equality between the treatment of physical and mental health.

The Department for Transport said at the moment only certain councils were recognising hidden disabilities.

If the proposals go ahead, it will be the biggest change to the blue badge scheme since it was introduced in 1970.

Around 2.4 million people have blue badges in England, which allows them to park for free in pay and display bays, use disabled parking bays, and stay for up to three hours on yellow lines.

In London blue badge holders are exempt from paying the congestion charge.

'Blue badges a lifeline'

Transport minister Jesse Norman said: "Blue badges give people with disabilities the freedom to get jobs, see friends or go to the shops with as much ease as possible.

"We want to try to extend this to people with invisible disabilities."

The Department for Transport said about 75% of badge users said they would go out less often if they didn't have the flexibility to park with a blue badge.

The changes have been put out to an eight-week public consultation.

The National Autistic Society's head of policy Sarah Lambert welcomed the proposal, and said it could provide a lifeline to many autistic people. 

She added that many people living with the condition can "experience too much information" from their environment when travelling by public transport.

This:

"Blue badges give people with disabilities the freedom to get jobs, see friends or go to the shops with as much ease as possible

contradicts this:

many people living with the condition can "experience too much information"

Its all wank.

Blue badhes need scrapping. Or at least have a limited number of parking places but charged.

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

The Department for Transport said about 75% of badge users said they would go out less often if they didn't have the flexibility to park with a blue badge.

Tbh, I think most people would go out more often if they had a magic badge that allowed them to park like dickheads on double yellow lines.

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Tbh, I think most people would go out more often if they had a magic badge that allowed them to park like dickheads on double yellow lines.

Quite. 

A mate of mine has one. Fair enough as she has really bad arthritis. However, we were able to drive into central London for free and park in Trafalgar Square.  O.o

14 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

Does not make sense that last bit. Too much information when travelling by bus, so presumably less information when travelling by car?

One would hope that they are not given a driving license to go with the blue badge if they cannot interpret the empirical world around them. 

14 minutes ago, spygirl said:

This:

"Blue badges give people with disabilities the freedom to get jobs, see friends or go to the shops with as much ease as possible

contradicts this:

many people living with the condition can "experience too much information"

Its all wank.

Blue badhes need scrapping. Or at least have a limited number of parking places but charged.

Could hardly get along new quay road yesterday. Blue badges on the left, a fleet of Harrison's taxis on the right. 

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

It is hoped that providing the permits for those with hidden disabilities will create equality between the treatment of physical and mental health.

Right.... what utter, utter bollocks.

If you are physically disabled and cannot easily walk any distance you get a blue badge.

Mental disability is absolutely a real thing but it does not prevent your walking.

What virtue-signalling lunatic came up with this crap? It's like something out of Viz.

A woman at my old work started using a blue badge. There was nothing obviously wrong with her and she never discussed what was wrong with her. She was the office bitch and I suspected she had bought it in a pub.

I phoned up the local council and told them my concerns. I got the "not all disabilities are obvious" routine. I honestly think blue badges should have the name/ sex and age of the recipient. I'd guess blue badge abuse is rife.

To be fair, some autistic people have the functioning levels of a toddler. I wouldn't fancy walking a fully grown man along a street if they were getting freaked out by noises and sights. So it makes sense for the family of some mental health sufferers to get blue badges. 

Having said that, any mental health sufferer that thinks they need a blue badge shouldn't be driving. If they can't walk a short distance for mental health reasons they shouldn't be in charge of two tonnes of metal.

I've just looked it up, here is the current criterion. With this proposed change it isn't just lowering the bar it's taking it away and throwing it into a hedge.

You will only get a blue badge if you are able to show that you have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are either unable to walk, or have considerable difficulty with walking. 

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've just looked it up, here is the current criterion. With this proposed change it isn't just lowering the bar it's taking it away and throwing it into a hedge.

You will only get a blue badge if you are able to show that you have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are either unable to walk, or have considerable difficulty with walking. 

Fair enough. My mum was 79 before she could get one. Yet, even with the current criteria, I've seen people park up, spring out of the car and almost run to the shops. 

Severe autism can make it difficult to control, say an older child or teenager (old enough that they can't park in the parent and child spaces). I think for the parents of severely affected older children it could be useful (you can't predict their behaviour and can't leave them at home all the time). I would therefore hope this would be restricted to those that are most affected rather than just anyone on the autistic spectrum as otherwise those with physical disabilities aren't ever going to be able to park in a blue badge spot again once all the parents with mildly autistic children park their SUVs up.

Following this through, the law of unintended consequences will mean that by massively increasing the number of blue badge holders it will also mean that, as they did a few years ago after the increase in numbers, councils will reduce the benefits of having a blue badge so the current three free hours in a council car park will drop to two and then one.

So this seizure of virtue signalling towards the mentally disabled will make life that little bit worse for the people for whom the scheme was originally introduced: those who can barely walk.

13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Following this through, the law of unintended consequences will mean that by massively increasing the number of blue badge holders it will also mean that, as they did a few years ago after the increase in numbers, councils will reduce the benefits of having a blue badge so the current three free hours in a council car park will drop to two and then one.

So this seizure of virtue signalling towards the mentally disabled will make life that little bit worse for the people for whom the scheme was originally introduced: those who can barely walk.

My money is on this spreading to those with ADHD and myalgia, thus extending it to everyone in the benefits class. 

Meanwhile, the stupid idiots who carry on working won't be able to park anywhere near work as it will all have been turned into disabled parking.  xD

Just now, One percent said:

My money is on this spreading to those with ADHD and myalgia, thus extending it to everyone in the benefits class. 

Meanwhile, the stupid idiots who carry on working won't be able to park anywhere near work as it will all have been turned into disabled parking.  xD

I share the common view on myalgia but I was chatting to a guy at work, late fifties, who mentioned he had it and that when it first came on it had been terrible, he said something like "If I'd had a gun I'd have shot myself".  And he's not prone to fanciful language.

I think it's reduced to aches these days but he asks for no special treatment and most people don't know; I didn't.

It made me think that just because it is an obvious condition for fakers and swingers of the lead there is actually a real problem at the root of it that medical science hasn't yet worked out.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42763767

i thought that the reason for blue badges was to help those with limited mobility. 

It seems not and you will be able to get one if you are autistic.  Can someone remind me how autism impacts on mobility?  

From the article:

Disabled parking bay

People with dementia and autism could get blue badge parking permits in England under new government proposals.

The Department for Transport said at the moment only certain councils were recognising hidden disabilities.

If the proposals go ahead, it will be the biggest change to the blue badge scheme since it was introduced in 1970.

Around 2.4 million people have blue badges in England, which allows them to park for free in pay and display bays, use disabled parking bays, and stay for up to three hours on yellow lines.

In London blue badge holders are exempt from paying the congestion charge.

'Blue badges a lifeline'

Transport minister Jesse Norman said: "Blue badges give people with disabilities the freedom to get jobs, see friends or go to the shops with as much ease as possible.

"We want to try to extend this to people with invisible disabilities."

The changes have been put out to an eight-week public consultation.

The National Autistic Society's head of policy Sarah Lambert welcomed the proposal, and said it could provide a lifeline to many autistic people. 

She added that many people living with the condition can "experience too much information" from their environment when travelling by public transport.

To understand how the scheme works in practice park near the disabled spaces in an M&S car park and watch the happy pensioners skip into the shop 

They are only issued with the support of a GP or consultant, they should be fined where their evidence has been used by chancers to get a badge 

It would stop straight away and the badges would only be issued on need 

Anyone using a badge not in their name should have their car crushed  and/or named and shamed on billboards 

yes I do have a sore head this morning and am feeling grumpy 😜

Near where I "work" and I use that term loosely these days as I'm fast reaching the point of giving up, there are 10 parking bays. They are permanently full of one or more of the following:

Blue badge holders.

Taxi drivers waiting for a fare.

Parents waiting for their kids.

Thus those of us that have to pay, can't even park there.

A cluster fuck of epic proportions.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

The UK is crazy.

Most of the people I know would do anything they could to not have a blue badge -- it is a sign of your problems being so bad your life is going to be awful.  (I know there's lots of empowerment, etc, these days, but it's not true -- if your mobility is poor it isn't going to be great for you).

Across the road from me is a 70ish year old.  She's got a bad hip and can't really walk any more -- I see her (70ish) year old struggling with her to get her into the house, etc.  Yet she is absolutely adamant that she doesn't get a 'proper' wheelchair (they've got some ancient flimsy fold-up thing they got from a relative) or a mobility scooter.  She certainly wouldn't apply for a blue card.  See, all those things would be an acceptance that she's had it (frankly) and that her life is going to be difficult from here.  Most people I know are the same, from denying they need reading glasses to thinking that they're still young and fit when they waddle up the road on their once a fortnight jog.

Yet we've got this subclass* that just want stuff.  There is no shame in having blue badges, cash for non-existent disabilities, special 'too fat to work' exemptions -- all sorts.  This group are responsible for such abuses of the system that they're making it collapse for everyone else.

[* maybe I'm in the subclass...]

Top post. 👍

Cannot find fault in your analysis at all.  

If I returned to the U.K. then I would make sure I would get diagnosed as a sex addict, which would give me a free pass in the kangaroo courts for sexual 'misconduct' and also a blue badge as it's a disability innit!