• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Holidaying in Kabul

I feel a song coming on:

It's a holiday in Afghanistan

It's tough kid but it's life

It's a Holiday Inn, Afghanistan

Don't forget to pack a knife

Edited by Panther

28 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Five star luxury for the charidee workers from the NGOs in six figure salaries plus expenses with their big white 4x4s parked round the back.

Exactly what Cambodia saw 1991 to when Hun Sen started to see them for what they really are in 2013.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Five star luxury for the charidee workers from the NGOs in six figure salaries plus expenses with their big white 4x4s parked round the back.

No upvotes available to me. But you nailed it.

Did a lot of work in my youth in developing countries (I’m a virologist, so it was real work, and wasn’t for an NGO, before you ask). You see it all over. Bunch of wankers.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I was thinking that the traders in traditional organic herbal remedies needed an hotel to stay in when they were visiting the eco-friendly smallhold farmers that supply them; but your explanation makes a lot more sense than mine!

I've never done one of those sit on the beach holidays. I do worry that I have missed out on something. I feel that there is some beach somewhere where there are endless numbers of gorgeous bikini-clad ladies... and everyone else has been there but I haven't.

I have never gone on one because I get bored easily, am more interested in doing things, sun-burn easily and hate sand in my sarnies. Maybe I should just keep looking at the right side-bar on the DM site. Alas, no bouncing or wobbling in still images.

Have I missed out by not going on such a holiday?

OK, I know it is an odd tangent for this thread but spunko started it... and I doubt that Kabul is on my list of possible destinations despite having grown a beard during my 'flu.

38 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I've never done one of those sit on the beach holidays. I do worry that I have missed out on something. I feel that there is some beach somewhere where there are endless numbers of gorgeous bikini-clad ladies... and everyone else has been there but I haven't.

I have never gone on one because I get bored easily, am more interested in doing things, sun-burn easily and hate sand in my sarnies. Maybe I should just keep looking at the right side-bar on the DM site. Alas, no bouncing or wobbling in still images.

Have I missed out by not going on such a holiday?

OK, I know it is an odd tangent for this thread but spunko started it... and I doubt that Kabul is on my list of possible destinations despite having grown a beard during my 'flu.

May I recommend Cartagena in Colombia? Gorgeous bikini clad babes, sand, sea, scenery and these days only a tiny chance of non accidental death or life changing incidents? 

Ive never been to Kabul, but I can’t say it appeals much. Almost no chance of ogling a bikini clad babe.

Guests tried to escape by using bed sheets to climb down from balconies
Image captionGuests tried to escape by using bed sheets to climb down from balconies

An eyewitness has told the So-Called BBC of the terrifying moment gunmen burst into Kabul's Intercontinental Hotel restaurant on Saturday.

The man, who is not being named for security reasons, said he was spared after saying he was an Afghan. "Where are the foreigners?" they shouted.

At least six civilians were killed in the 12-hour siege, officials said.

The interior minister said the recent decision to transfer security to a private company had been a mistake.

Some 160 people were rescued after Afghan troops fought throughout the night to regain control of the building.

Afghan news agency Tolo says the death toll could be higher than the official figure, quoting a reporter who said they had seen dozens of bodies inside the hotel.

Three attackers were also killed in the siege, officials said.

Afghan airline Kam Air told local journalist Bilal Sarwary it had 42 members of staff in the hotel, some of whom were foreign nationals. Eighteen are still missing with five feared dead.

The Taliban, which targeted the hotel in 2011 , says it was behind the latest attack. A spokesman said in a statement quoted by AFP that the group had "killed tens of foreign invaders and their puppets".

Gunmen 'ate before shooting'

The gunmen burst into the six-floor hotel at around 21:00 local time (16:30 GMT) on Saturday evening, as guests were enjoying dinner.

The eyewitness told the So-Called BBC he was having dinner with his son when the gunmen began firing into the air with small arms.

They killed a woman - believed to be a foreigner - and turned the gun on the eyewitness himself.

He shouted "I'm Afghan". One of the gunmen shouted that they didn't kill Afghans and demanded to know "Where are the foreigners?" The men then ran out of the room to look for them.

Haseeb, another eyewitness told Tolo News that two of the gunmen had asked him to serve them food first.

"They were wearing very stylish clothes," he said. "They came to me and asked for food. I served them the food and they thanked me and took their seats. Then they took out their weapons and started shooting the people."

"There were dozens of dead bodies lying around me."

Several guests were pictured using bed sheets to try to climb down from a top-floor balcony. 

Dramatic images on Afghan TV showed thick black smoke and flames rising from the imposing hilltop hotel.

They were working with Western special forces to bring the siege to an end.

Forty-one foreigners were among those rescued and seven people were wounded, according to figures from the interior ministry.

The ministry has promised an investigation into how the attackers breached security, which was handed to a private company two weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42766623

Bit of a mistake handing over security from the military to private contractors. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

40 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

The ministry has promised an investigation into how the attackers breached security, which was handed to a private company two weeks ago.

I think I could save them a lot of time and trouble there.

(KABUL) — A Taliban assault on the Intercontinental Hotel in Afghanistan’s capital killed at least 18 people, including 14 foreigners, and pinned security forces down for more than 13 hours before the last attacker was killed on Sunday, with the casualty toll expected to rise.

The heavily-guarded luxury hotel is popular among foreigners and Afghan officials. Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish said the 18 killed included 14 foreigners and a telecommunications official from the western Farah province who was attending a conference.

“11 of the 14 foreigners killed were employees of KamAir, a private Afghan airline,” said Danish. KamAir also put out an announcement saying some of their flights were disrupted because of the attack.

http://time.com/5111686/kabul-intercontinental-hotel-fatalities/

Not the first time Airline Crews have been targetted, i recall the Raddisson Blue hotel in Burkina Fasso last year. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

10 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

A lot of it is a front for intelligence agency activities not sure how Johnny Foreigner has never sussed that.

1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

the Afghans seem pretty resistant to change, they've been resisting foreign invasions for hundreds of years. Impressive really. 

The irony is that, until very recently, most people were oblivious to the natural resources - precious minerals - that are in the area.

Most previous attempts at conquest were for territorial control on the way to other lands or using it as a buffer state. Probably still is very much it. I read that the climate of Afghanistan is not today what it was 2,000 years ago when the land was much more fertile and lush - the point being that for centuries after Alexander's conquesst of Afghanistan people were trying to conquer a pretty in-hospitable place whilst filled with romantic notions of the country and fabled treasures.

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I read that the climate of Afghanistan is not today what it was 2,000 years ago when the land was much more fertile and lush - the point being that for centuries after Alexander's conquesst of Afghanistan people were trying to conquer a pretty in-hospitable place whilst filled with romantic notions of the country and fabled treasures.

There was a thread on Reddit a while ago asking US troops who had served in Afghanistan if there was anything about the country that surprised them.

Some of the replies mentioned that there were many areas they had been to that were lush and beautiful. I wonder if we are uncritically accepting the impression given to us by the MSM that it is a barren dustbowl throughout?

2 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

There was a thread on Reddit a while ago asking US troops who had served in Afghanistan if there was anything about the country that surprised them.

Some of the replies mentioned that there were many areas they had been to that were lush and beautiful. I wonder if we are uncritically accepting the impression given to us by the MSM that it is a barren dustbowl throughout?

Oh, there are lush valleys and fertile plains there. It is just not what it was 2,000 or so years ago. Apparently at least one major river, that used to water a large part of the area, was diverted centuries ago in an earthquake and that resulted in lots of the dry, desert areas that we think of when we think of Afghanistan.

25 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Oh, there are lush valleys and fertile plains there. It is just not what it was 2,000 or so years ago. Apparently at least one major river, that used to water a large part of the area, was diverted centuries ago in an earthquake and that resulted in lots of the dry, desert areas that we think of when we think of Afghanistan.

ive got a mad urge to watch the man who would be king now,very weird

Helmand Province is "The Garden" of Afghanistan apparently, lush and fertile fille with vegetation etc. 

Thats why it is so hotly contested apparently, probably to do with opium crops. 

Several Americans were killed and injured in a Taliban raid at a luxury Kabul hotel, US State Department have officials said.

Saturday's 13-hour siege at the Intercontinental Hotel left more than 20 dead, including a dozen foreigners.

"We express our deepest condolences to our American families and to all the victims of the attack," spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement. 

The state department did not release the exact number of Americans killed.

The six Taliban militants who stormed the hotel in suicide vests were looking for foreigners, eyewitnesses say.

An eyewitness, who is not being named for security reasons, told the So-Called BBC he was spared after saying he was an Afghan. "Where are the foreigners?" they shouted.

Some 160 people were rescued after Afghan troops fought throughout the night to regain control of the building.

Image copyrightREUTERSView of the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, Afghanistan, January 25, 2016.
Image captionThe Intercontinental Hotel is an iconic symbol of Kabul

Some of the details of the attack remain unclear, but it is reported that in addition to the Americans, seven Ukrainians and one German also died in the attack, officials said.

On 1/21/2018 at 08:28, Panther said:

I feel a song coming on:

It's tough kid but it's life

It's a Holiday Inn, Afghanistan

Don't forget to pack a knife

Take the kids and take the wife

joshua boyle.jpg