• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Poland - they deserve a thread

As Hungary got their own thread so does Poland deserve one for this.

I had missed that they have shrugged off the EU threats and made the changes their elected politicians wanted to make to the legal system;; the story is dated 20 Dec and I don't recall seeing it posted also reference was made in the Brexit thread.

The EU has threatened them with all sorts for this which have never been enforced upon any EU member country.

And Hungary is backing them.  Brilliant.

Polish president ignores EU sanctions warnings, signs justice reform package into law

Poland’s president Andrzej Duda has signed a controversial judicial reform package into law, hours after the European Commission triggered the so-called "nuclear option," opening an unprecedented sanctions procedure.

If backed by EU leaders, the Article 7 mechanism could see Warsaw being punished with financial sanctions or the loss of voting rights. The measure, which was activated for the first time since the foundation of the bloc, is aimed to counter Poland’s alleged violations of democratic values with the reforms in question. Duda put his signature to the bills, which he initially partly drafted, AP reported citing the president's spokesman, Krzysztof Lapinski.

Announcing his decision, the Polish president defended the changes, saying it would see the country's justice system become more democratic. Having referred to US legal practice, in which judges to America's Supreme Court are nominated by the president and approved by Senate, Duda said it was unfair to interfere with changes aimed at making judges more accountable to politicians in Poland.

Since its initial drafts, the bills that seek to allow the government more control over the courts had been much improved, he claimed. Article 7 was not directly mentioned in the speech.

To declare "a clear risk of serious breach of the rule of law" that would involve sanctions against one of its member states, including the loss of voting rights in the EU Council, Brussels must get unanimous approval from the rest of the members. However, Hungary has already made clear it would oppose any such move.

https://www.rt.com/news/413791-poland-president-approves-judiciary-reform/

The European Union has triggered Article 7 against Poland, a procedure that could result in sanctions targeting Warsaw. The EU says Poland has violated democratic values with proposed judiciary reform.

The European Union’s executive body triggered Article 7 of the EU treaty, branded the “nuclear option,” against Poland on Wednesday. It has been triggered for the first time since the foundation of the bloc.

https://www.rt.com/news/413733-eu-launches-sanctions-against-poland/

4 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

So why the fuck is May not making a song and dance about our EE brothers and sisters of the sensible thinking variety?

Oh that's right, cos she's a Remainer.

While she still can it's quite possible that she's one of the eu leaders in favour of the so called nuclear option. 

She should clarify her position.

Edited by twocents

Nuclear option is interesting.

When we leave, France is the only Nuclear power left in the EU.

How much power does that give them? I presume they can never be allowed to leave as well?

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

How much power does that give them? I presume they can never be allowed to leave as well?

From seeking Merkel's weakened and Macron's emboldened position, I see him positioning himself to take over as leader of the EU.

Oh, wait. Nobody leads the EU, do they?

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

From seeking Merkel's weakened and Macron's emboldened position, I see him positioning himself to take over as leader of the EU.

Oh, wait. Nobody leads the EU, do they?

Ex Goldman Sachs or some such isn't he?

Makes sense.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Ex Goldman Sachs or some such isn't he?

Makes sense.

"If this crock of shite is going to keep going this way and giving us grief, I might as well be in charge of it and call the shots"

8 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

No, nuclear is probably never going to be used.

Besides, EU is covered by NATO.

The issue with Brexit and why Macron was over here is that onyl France and UK have armies that can project a decent amount force.

This is down to the total absense of Germany not wanting to spend or commit any blood.

NL - OK commando but too small.

Spain - only seems to attack SPanish citizen.

Portugal - nope.

Italy - er no.

Austria - not interested.

Belgium - barely a country, bit of a mozzer problem.

Greece - idiot nephhews recruited.

Poland//Baltics - OK but needs to be hand off because of the Russians.

ANy operation around the Med has to be France and the UK. And there'll be a lot of more operations around the Med.

13 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Polish MP interviewed by the So-Called BBC middle of 2017ish :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rLmWZsr5V0U

Sorry- it wouldn't embed the video.

That BBC interviewer is practically crying with SJW frustration at the end of that interview. They just don't get it, do they? Why would any country without large migrant populations allow themselves to be forced into taking them, when it is of no possible advantage to them and any humanitarian elements are highly questionable? The Eastern states quite understandably look at what has happened in France, Belgium Germany, UK etc and say 'no thanks'. 

8 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

That BBC interviewer is practically crying with SJW frustration at the end of that interview. They just don't get it, do they? Why would any country without large migrant populations allow themselves to be forced into taking them, when it is of no possible advantage to them and any humanitarian elements are highly questionable? The Eastern states quite understandably look at what has happened in France, Belgium Germany, UK etc and say 'no thanks'. 

Yes, its quite funny, but scary people can be so far removed from common sense. Her job depends on her being mental though I suppose...

Annoyed it wouldn't embed that video, got anther version of it here to try :

Yay!

15 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Brilliant.

I was also unsurprised that the So-Called BBC interviewer was clearly foreign.

She was typically lefty shouty though.