• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Malthus

Potholes

The roads in NI are in a shocking state following the ice and snow 

Getting to 3rd world standards in country areas with an £80 million underspend on maintenance 

How are things on the rest of the UK ? 

Time for a boycott of the road fund until it’s put back to its proper purpose of building and maintaining the roads ?? 

19 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Getting to 3rd world standards in country areas with an £80 million underspend on maintenance 

Time for a boycott of the road fund until it’s put back to its proper purpose of building and maintaining the roads ?? 

Ive noticed in North Yorkshire that the roads are being resurfaced.  They have tended to be pretty good but recently have deteriorated. 

In london, there are potholes everywhere with seemingly no attempt to repair the roads. 

VED has never had all the money generated go into some sort of mysterious road fund sadly. It goes to central government to squander on giimegrants. I've been avoiding it for years...

Some resurfacing recently in Rossendale so what were previously the worst bits are now the best.

The average, however, remains shite. 

Didn't Harold Wilson get implicated in some bung scandal or other with Tarmac? As a child in the seventies I remember perfectly adequate roads being resurfaced more than once.

What we need is a right dodgy geezer as transport secretary. 

Edited by blobloblob

1 hour ago, Malthus said:

Bad in Edinburgh currently, to the point I am having to watch I don't fall into them when driving- some which I'm convinced would rip a wheel off if hit! Our car is in need of some suspension work at the moment, which makes it worse, or better...

I'll be really fucking annoyed if one damages the car after I have shelled out for all the work to be done. 

Usually there are lots of road repairs in Feb and March so things should be better again soon. The roads here when they are good still aren't like they were when I started driving 20+ years ago, the standards have dropped. I remember folk putting in claims for pothole damage to their cars when I was younger, taking photos with rulers as part of their claim. I'm pretty sure the councils would pay out too, not nowadays though I suspect, unless you are super persistent and capable, or someone with clout...

Downright dangerous in places, like the lights on Junction Bridge with two lanes, one to turn left onto Ferry Rd, the other going straight on towards Ocean Terminal/turning right down Coburg St. There's a few nasty potholes there, people swerving into other lanes to avoid them!

^^ That very locally specific example mostly for @ccc, he stays somewhere down that end of town so prob knows what I'm on about.

11 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

VED has never had all the money generated go into some sort of mysterious road fund sadly. It goes to central government to squander on giimegrants. I've been avoiding it for years...

May I ask, how?

Is it just that you're rural and can get away with it? 

I imagine the road tax on an M4 is bad- £300/year, or £500/year even maybe.

Ours is £230ish/year, bad enough, I just can't imagine getting away with not having it for a day or two- ANPR on ALL (I'm pretty sure anyway) police cars, not just traffic ones. ANPR on our CCTV system too probably, plus the records they have now so much is computerised.

14 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

If Trump noted the pothole situation, then I imagine Khan, Steptoe and the UN would denounce his racism?

Ha! No doubt, and then blame Brexit too!

42 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Excise_Duty

How do you manage to avoid VED @spunko2010

Crazy way to raise tax, much easier to rob motorist using fuel duty 

9 hours ago, blobloblob said:

Didn't Harold Wilson get implicated in some bung scandal or other with Tarmac? As a child in the seventies I remember perfectly adequate roads being resurfaced more than once.

What we need is a right dodgy geezer as transport secretary. 

Tarmac now known as Carillion?

8 hours ago, Malthus said:

I'm not expecting @spunko2010 to reveal his methods but people who are skint because of the sky high rents in Devon and Cornwall and need to run a car because of the absence of public transport basically have offgrid cars (scrappers bought for cash, no MoT, tax, servicing, insurance) that they restrict to driving on rural roads where the chance of meeting any kind of enforcement vehicle that will ping their numberplate is vanishingly small and worth the risk as the saving over a few years far outweighs the potential penalty.

You obviously can't do this if you drive in towns and cities as the chances of being caught are far higher.

A colleague from when I lived up country went for a weekend in some obscure north Cornwall inland village whose name I forget and said that one of his first sights was a car driving up the road on its wheel rims. 

Just dropped the sprout off at school after doing a three mile slalom down the various roads avoiding potholes that have gone beyond the point of irritation and could now be classed as potentially damaging or hazardous.

The roads are in absolutely shit order, probably about the worst I've seen since moving here. The right cherry on the turd is 90% of these holes are in areas that were resurfaced or patched less than two years ago. 

I've genuinely seen better rural farm roads in the arse end of Scotland.

9 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

You can. You just need to live in one of the areas the police don't enforce motor insurance, http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-1707034/Top-5-postcodes-for-uninsured-drivers.html

You'd have to restrict yourself to driving at night or quiet periods; I've seen several morning operations on a slow roundabout on a main road where four cars are waiting to nab anyone whose registration gives a ping on their system.   They are going to get everyone who goes through that roundabout as long as they wait there and I've seen several nabbed just going through myself; they must get dozens every time.

You don't get that on a rural B road at any time.

Edited by Frank Hovis

You can legally avoid VED by driving a car that has a nil tax bracket. My little 998cc runabout doesn't incur any VED.

I make it a bit of a hobby to (legally) avoid paying tax wherever possible. Eg, using small firms that don't pay VAT, buying things second hand, brewing my own booze etc.

Edited by Austin Allegro

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

You can legally avoid VED by driving a car that has a nil tax bracket. My little 998cc runabout doesn't incur any VED.

I make it a bit of a hobby to (legally) avoid paying tax wherever possible. 

I admire the sentiment as not paying tax to the wasteful government is always to be applauded.

However as I'm typically paying £50 a week in fuel all the other costs, bar depreciation, pale into insignificance.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I admire the sentiment as not paying tax to the wasteful government is always to be applauded.

However as I'm typically paying £50 a week in fuel all the other costs, bar depreciation, pale into insignificance.

In addition to VED exemption running a very fuel-efficient car does also keep fuel costs - and therefore tax payments - down. But I take your point. 

9 hours ago, Malthus said:

Well I have two vehicles which helps, one is taxed which I use for motorway/A road driving. I take note of where fixed ANPR cameras are, and avoid driving on those . I mainly drive my untaxed vehicle which as Frank Hovis says on mainly rural roads.

A lot of people think it's a police matter but it's not, so it's unlikely nowadays the police will stop you just for this 'offence', as it's a matter for DVLA or HMRC (I can't remember which). I was caught in ~2011 and the police took my details and said the DVLA/HMRC would be in touch but all I got was a letter telling me about my requirement to buy VED.

Most ANPR cameras are by PIPS and look the same:

plate-recognition-l.jpg

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Well I have two vehicles which helps, one is taxed which I use for motorway/A road driving. I take note of where fixed ANPR cameras are, and avoid driving on those . I mainly drive my untaxed vehicle which as Frank Hovis says on mainly rural roads.

A lot of people think it's a police matter but it's not, so it's unlikely nowadays the police will stop you just for this 'offence', as it's a matter for DVLA or HMRC (I can't remember which). I was caught in ~2011 and the police took my details and said the DVLA/HMRC would be in touch but all I got was a letter telling me about my requirement to buy VED.

Most ANPR cameras are by PIPS and look the same:

plate-recognition-l.jpg

Rogues like @spunko2010are why tax on fuel is a much more sensible way to rob drivers 👍

The problem is people drive around too much.

Dunno how you resolve it, but it would be a start if people lived closer to work, children went to their local school and they didn't shove housing estates miles away from the shops.

You can always judge a country from the state of it's roads.

Some of them in Cornwall are so bad, there's grass growing in the middle !  

5 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

You can always judge a country from the state of it's roads.

Some of them in Cornwall are so bad, there's grass growing in the middle !  

That's a sign of people having worked out exactly where they want to be, and staying there.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

The problem is people drive around too much.

Dunno how you resolve it, but it would be a start if people lived closer to work, children went to their local school and they didn't shove housing estates miles away from the shops.

Wish I could rep this more than once.