• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Tessa Jowell brain tumour

On and on and on and on and on the radio.

There is a case for looking at treating brain tumours.

If only we'd not pissed away billions on the Olympics.

Wonder if she could have prevented that?

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

On and on and on and on and on the radio.

There is a case for looking at treating brain tumours.

If only we'd not pissed away billions on the Olympics.

Wonder if she could have prevented that?

Just seen her on the telly. She looks very poorly. 

24 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just seen her on the telly. She looks very poorly. 

She will. Its normally v aggressive.

If only shed been in government for ~12 years. Then she could have concetrated on research rather than pissing billions away on a global  sportsday.

Was she one of the ones who caused huge damage like Balls and Harman or just a workaday politician?  Not everyone in Blair and Brown's empire of evil was an avid adherent.

I remember her name but that's about it.

30 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Was she one of the ones who caused huge damage like Balls and Harman or just a workaday politician?  Not everyone in Blair and Brown's empire of evil was an avid adherent.

I remember her name but that's about it.

She was a plain speaking popular 'New Labour' politician.  Started the Ireland peace process...but fell-out with the Unionists.

Later she became an outspoken voice against the Iraq War. Died at 55.

10 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

She was a plain speaking popular 'New Labour' politician.  Started the Ireland peace process...but fell-out with the Unionists.

Cheers, sounds like a reasonable person.

10 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

Feck me, mo mowlem was 55.  You sure?  

I thought Mo Mowlem was ok. Tessa Jowell  - I just remember her as somewhat  ineffectual - a sort of deputy head girl. I wouldn't wish what she has on anyone (well that's not true there's a small list) she looks dreadful.

18 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I thought Mo Mowlem was ok. Tessa Jowell  - I just remember her as somewhat  ineffectual - a sort of deputy head girl. I wouldn't wish what she has on anyone (well that's not true there's a small list) she looks dreadful.

I remember her more for almost going bankrupt, being saved by an enormous bribe from Berlusconi to her husband for testimony. Her defence to corruption accusations being "I didn't know about the huge cash injection into our household finances. How would I? I'm just a girl, my hubby does all that money stuff." Then shamelessly accepting her next governmental role of handling the budget for the Olympics.

Jowell, Mills and Berlusconi[edit]

Jowell's husband David Mills is an international corporate lawyer who has acted for Silvio Berlusconi, Italian Prime Minister. Mills was investigated in Italy for money laundering and alleged tax fraud.[21][22]

Jowell was investigated by the Cabinet Secretary Gus O'Donnell over the allegations surrounding her husband, because of a possible conflict of interest between her personal life and ministerial duties. However, O'Donnell stated that, "it is the Prime Minister, not me, who, constitutionally, is the right and proper person to take a view on matters arising based on the Ministerial Code" in his letter,[23] and Tony Blair decided she was clear of any wrongdoing.[24]

On 4 March 2006, it was announced that Jowell and Mills had separated, after the allegations had begun to damage her political standing. Jowell said "although we are separated I have never doubted his innocence".[25] Mills allegedly admitted to being "an idiot", and has expressed his remorse about the impact of his dealings upon his wife. The separation had effectively ended by September 2012.[26]

On 17 February 2009, an Italian court sentenced David Mills to four years and six months in jail after finding him guilty of accepting a bribe from Berlusconi to give false evidence on his behalf during corruption trials which had taken place in 1997 and 1998. His defence counsel said that the sentence went "against the logic and dynamic of the evidence presented". The judgment was appealed by Mills. On 27 October 2009, the Italian Appeal Court upheld his conviction and prison sentence. Mills confirmed that he would initiate a second and final appeal to the Cassation Court.[27]

On 25 February 2010, the Italian Cassation Court (the second and last court of appeal under Italian law) dissolved the case because of the statute of limitations.[28][29] For this type of crime, in Italian law, a case expires after 10 years. Mills argued that he received the money in 1999, and not 2000 as Prosecutors had previously argued, thus taking advantage of the statute of limitations.[30]

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

I remember her more for almost going bankrupt, being saved by an enormous bribe from Berlusconi to her husband for testimony. Her defence to corruption accusations being "I didn't know about the huge cash injection into our household finances. How would I? I'm just a girl, my hubby does all that money stuff." Then shamelessly accepting her next governmental role of handling the budget for the Olympics.

I'd forgotten all about that!

I never watched the Tellytubbies... but news yesterday that the big purple one just died really shook me. Same age as me. They say he was a ballerina and dancer originally as I must admit that my first thought was some HIV related thing contracted many years ago... probably a defensive measure on behalf of my own mortality.

Edit:

The big purple one didn't die - the actor playing him did. Just want clarify that for everyone.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

4 hours ago, One percent said:

Feck me, mo mowlem was 55.  You sure?  

Pretty sure she was mid 50s.

She hit the whisky hard when terminal. There was hilarious stories doing the rounds when she started calling certain politicians with nicknames...such as 'The creepy Dark One'...'The Grim Reaper'.

She was a beautiful person....a refreshing voice amid the egocentric self-servicing sociopaths one finds today. :)

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I never watched the Tellytubbies... but news yesterday that the big purple one just died really shook me. Same age as me. They say he was a ballerina and dancer originally as I must admit that my first thought was some HIV related thing contracted many years ago... probably a defensive measure on behalf of my own mortality.

Edit:

The big purple one didn't die - the actor playing him did. Just want clarify that for everyone.

Bit odd that he is reported as dying of hypothermia in Liverpool city centre was he homeless? I told my daughter yesterday and she was rather upset - she loved the Teletubbies as a toddler.

5 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Bit odd that he is reported as dying of hypothermia in Liverpool city centre was he homeless? I told my daughter yesterday and she was rather upset - she loved the Teletubbies as a toddler.

I would have thought that the big purple suit would have kept him warm

1 hour ago, Wahoo said:

She was a beautiful person....a refreshing voice amid the egocentric self-servicing sociopaths one finds today. :)

Agreed. One of the best; head and shoulders above the group of jokers we have here in local government here in NI. I hope history remembers her.

Mo Mowlam's grave is at the local Humanist graveyard near me, I remember seeing it when I was scouting out sites for my dad to have a gravestone sited in. I remember her grave was at the time chockablock with flowers and various trinkets.

Politics apart, brain tumours sound horrific and she has my sympathy.

As for Mo Mowlam, Julie Waters played her convincingly in a remarkably good TV biopic called 'Mo' a few years back. Well worth a watch if you can find it.