• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SpectrumFX

Oxford University gives women more time to pass exams

Being a woman is a disability like dyslexia now. It even gets you more time in university exams.

xD

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/01/22/oxford-university-gives-women-time-pass-exams/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Oxford University exam times were increased in a bid to improve the low scores of women, it has emerged.

Students taking maths and computer science examinations in the summer of 2017 were given an extra 15 minutes to complete their papers, after dons ruled that "female candidates might be more likely to be adversely affected by time pressure". There was no change to the length or difficulty of the questions.

28 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Being a woman is a disability like dyslexia now. It even gets you more time in university exams.

xD

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/01/22/oxford-university-gives-women-time-pass-exams/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Oxford University exam times were increased in a bid to improve the low scores of women, it has emerged.

Students taking maths and computer science examinations in the summer of 2017 were given an extra 15 minutes to complete their papers, after dons ruled that "female candidates might be more likely to be adversely affected by time pressure". There was no change to the length or difficulty of the questions.

Were I a male student paying the same £9K fees as women, I would be dragging this to the courts....

Just now, Horrified Onlooker said:

Were I a male student paying the same £9K fees as women, I would be dragging this to the courts....

Everybody got the extra 15 minutes, the exam was lengthened. I think it resuted in everybody doing worse.

11 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Everybody got the extra 15 minutes, the exam was lengthened. I think it resuted in everybody doing worse.

That's not what the article says... unless if I've completely mis-read it?

5 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

That's not what the article says... unless if I've completely mis-read it?

My reading is that the exam time was increased, and students (male and female) sat the same exam for the same extra 15 minutes of time

Edited by Hopeful

29 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

My reading is that the exam time was increased, and students (male and female) sat the same exam for the same extra 15 minutes of time

I think you're right, but when I first read the article I thought that only the women had been given more time. The headline - which I lifted as the thread title - is somewhat misleading.

Mea culpa.

5 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I think you're right, but when I first read the article I thought that only the women had been given more time. The headline - which I lifted as the thread title - is somewhat misleading.

Mea culpa.

It's written to be misleading, to provoke interest

Being a woman did get them more time,

But it got men more time too

But, if it takes women 15 minutes longer to do everything, does that explain the gender pay gap?

Edited by Hopeful

39 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

The reasoning that led them to do so though...

I think Oxbridge professors are cleverer than me on the whole, and if they think women need to be helped then I'll just have to take their word for it. I used to think of men and women as equals but I stand corrected.

5 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

The reasoning that led them to do so though...

I think Oxbridge professors are cleverer than me on the whole, and if they think women need to be helped then I'll just have to take their word for it. I used to think of men and women as equals but I stand corrected.

I can't quite get my head around it.

So, for example, a 3 hr exam. Men just about make it, women 15 minutes off.

Give them all an extra 15 minutes

Men make it with ease and have time to check their answers

Women just about make it, but no time to check

I think this is borne out in the results. The number of 2.1s increased at the expense of 2.2s, but the difference between males and females with 1st class degrees remained the same.

15 minutes extra wasn't enough

The lengthening could go on ad infinitum

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

I can't quite get my head around it.

So, for example, a 3 hr exam. Men just about make it, women 15 minutes off.

Give them all an extra 15 minutes

Men make it with ease and have time to check their answers

Women just about make it, but no time to check

I think this is borne out in the results. the number of 2.1 increased at the expense of 2.2s, but the difference between males and females with first remained the same.

15 minutes wasn't enough

The lengthening could go on ad infinitum

Yeah why not add another year and charge another £9,250? Or 2, or 3.

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

I think you’re right - my reading of the article was influenced by the misleading title.

12 hours ago, DeepLurker said:

I think you’re right - my reading of the article was influenced by the misleading title.

And this is how the Press get misinformation to most of the public.

A headline written to be deliberately misinterpreted that is then corrected in the small print.

They should sell PPI

This is another thing that will backfire on women in the longterm IMPO.

I think women who ar epushing for this kind of nonsense are just alienating more and more Western men. When the time ineviitably comes when Western Women turn to Western Males for help an awful lot of me are going to shrug their shoulders. I think Wimmin are stupidly playing into the hands of those with more sinister, much longer-term aims.