• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Diving slowly through 'ull is just asking for trouble

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5315647/Chinese-tourist-jailed-driving-slowly-Hull.html

A Chinese tourist has called the police 'cruel' and said they showed 'no mercy' after she was locked in a police cell for 15 hours when she was unable to pay an on-the-spot fine because she was driving too slowly.

Qiaoyon Wang was on her way to visit friends in Hull when police stopped her in the eastbound carriageway on the A63 at Hessle on Wednesday.

The 39-year-old from China said she was 'confused' when a police car flashed its lights at her Ford Focus hire car. 

She was unable to pay the £100 fine so taken into a prison cell where she spent 15 hours locked up before appearing in Hull Magistrates' Court.

Unheard of. I hope the also patrol the road between Pickering and Whitby. The number of times I've got stuck behind some idiot doing 40. 

It's essentially a motorway, but without a hard shoulder. It is THE road into Hull for most commuters and any lorries heading to the docks. 

I think detaining her for 15hrs is a bit harsh (ticking off would have done IMO) but she could easily have caused an accident.  

Incidentally, they have been debating on the radio this week about whether a cycling time trial should be allowed on the same road (few miles further west). It makes it a nightmare when there is a race in progress because all sorts of vehicles just pull out into the second lane. Again, I think the cycling could continue if they just coned off the inside lane and put a temporary speed limit on the fast lane.

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Turns out she was a student in Sheffield.

I don't see how she could pretend that she was unaccustomed to the UK, etc.

It also suggests that she could have been driving on the M62/M18 for 50 miles at 40mph. 

Edited by The Generation Game

2 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

It also suggests that she could have been driving on the M62/M18 for 50 miles at 40mph. 

It's very common to see people driving on motorways at 40mph. They're usually old people and it's not really a problem if they stick to the inside lane. 

On the occasion when I watch one of those 'Cops in Oz' programs, it's interesting to note that a large percentage of motorists pulled over for shit driving are Chinese.

Same with the Border control programs. "What do you mean I can't bring a live octopus and the corpse of my granny back in my suitcase? I didn't know..."

They have form for this stuff.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

On the occasion when I watch one of those 'Cops in Oz' programs, it's interesting to note that a large percentage of motorists pulled over for shit driving are Chinese.

Same with the Border control programs. "What do you mean I can't bring a live octopus and the corpse of my granny back in my suitcase? I didn't know..."

They have form for this stuff.

I was watching one of those traffic cop programmes.  Somewhere on a motorway in England, a Chinese couple got pulled over.  No licence, tax or insurance. Car was confiscated and the Chinese couple with baby were taken off the motorway by the police.

at the end of their shift, they saw the same car go passed. Stop it to find that the couple had managed to get their car back and continued on their way. o.O

46 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

It's very common to see people driving on motorways at 40mph. They're usually old people and it's not really a problem if they stick to the inside lane. 

They are a fricking pain as they force the lorries into the middle lane, leaving only the outside lane for anyone who wants to go above 56mph - which you can just about manage even on the M25 outside rush hour!

As an aside Woody Allen was pretty good at futurology:-

Here is his self-driving car

a368bc777acb2fe864decdb47dd0342b--sci-fi

His AI domestic robot

sleeper.jpg&f=1

His personal helicopter thingy

Allen_Sleeper01.jpg&f=1

The hydrovac suit, cant really remember what that was for

5079752_f520_4.preview.jpg&f=1

And of course the pièce de résistance, the orgasmatron...

orgasmatron.png&f=1

Oooo, errrr, that was good.

All from The Sleeper (1973)

I didn't even realise we had minimum speed limits  O.o

It was one of the things I noticed when driving in the US last week that they actually put the minimum speed limit on the signs there next to the maximum speed.

Quite a good system..  we should probably do that instead of locking people up.  

Well,  we shouldn't lock people up anyway..  that's just dumb.  She should have just been asked (nicely) to speed up a bit or face a ticket next time.  

1 hour ago, Dipsy said:

They are a fricking pain as they force the lorries into the middle lane, leaving only the outside lane for anyone who wants to go above 56mph - which you can just about manage even on the M25 outside rush hour!

Try it on the A1 which is two lanes for much of its length. You get these idiots pushing the lorries into the outside lane and you are going for miles at 50. 

Should be jailed imho. 

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

That's what self-driving cars are for with speed regulated by officially sanctioned boolean logic operators.

Whether you like it or not.

as long as it was the Not operator it should work, And and Or could get messy.

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

I didn't even realise we had minimum speed limits  O.o

It was one of the things I noticed when driving in the US last week that they actually put the minimum speed limit on the signs there next to the maximum speed.

Quite a good system..  we should probably do that instead of locking people up.  

Well,  we shouldn't lock people up anyway..  that's just dumb.  She should have just been asked (nicely) to speed up a bit or face a ticket next time.  

Is it actually against the law.  If there's an implied minimum speed limit that you must drive faster than then maybe it should be in the highway code - if it isn't already.  Especially when there are all those adverts about speed kills.

I must admit for slow drivers (maybe thinking they're being responsible after all the speed kills stuff) I think that advice would be sufficient.

As usual the source of the problem seems to be about the increasing amount of traffic and the increasingly extreme congestion on the roads along with the inability of the roads and the infrastructure to cope with it.

Edited by twocents

7 minutes ago, twocents said:

Is it actually against the law.  If there's an implied minimum speed limit that you must drive faster than then maybe it should be in the highway code - if it isn't already.  Especially when there are all those adverts about speed kills.

I must admit for slow drivers (maybe thinking they're being responsible after all the speed kills stuff) I think that advice would be sufficient.

As usual the source of the problem seems to be about the increasing amount of traffic and the increasingly extreme congestion on the roads along with the inability of the roads and the infrastructure to cope with it.

And the increasing number of drivers who appear to have no clue as to how to drive 

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

And the increasing number of drivers who appear to have no clue as to how to drive 

I totally agree and it's very irritating to get behind a slow driver but I question the legal justification for the £100 fine and then confinement due to inability to pay.  I expect it must be justified in law (maybe consideration to other road users) but as far as I'm aware there's no specific clause in the highway code on minimum speeds.  It seems contradictory to the speed kills campaign that I'm sure was backed and maybe even instigated by the police - especially with all the speed cameras.

Edited by twocents

4 minutes ago, twocents said:

I totally agree and it's very irritating to get behind a slow driver but I question the legal justification for the £100 fine and then confinement due to inability to pay.  I expect it must be justified in law (maybe consideration to other road users) but as far as I'm aware there's no specific clause in the highway code on minimum speeds.  It seems contradictory to the speed kills campaign that I'm sure was backed and even instigated by the police.

I would think it was something like driving without due care and attention as yes, I agree, I don't think you can be charged with driving to slow. 

Im really pleased though as these types of drivers are also dangerous as they frustrate other road users who then might be tempted to take stupid risks 

13 minutes ago, One percent said:

I would think it was something like driving without due care and attention as yes, I agree, I don't think you can be charged with driving to slow. 

Im really pleased though as these types of drivers are also dangerous as they frustrate other road users who then might be tempted to take stupid risks 

Then they get you more or less whatever you do and however you drive - if they feel like it.  Caught by cameras if you drive a bit fast and stopped if you avoid being caught speeding by keeping well within the speed limit.  Yes slow drivers can frustrate and irritate though I think the rule is drive for the conditions and that includes slow drivers and slow traffic.  The onus is on the driver taking the risk.

Edited by twocents

Just now, twocents said:

Then they get you more or less whatever you do and however you drive - if they feel like it.  Yes slow drivers can frustrate and irritate though I think the rule is drive for the conditions and that includes slow drivers and slow traffic.  The onus is on the driver taking the risk.

Well yes of course, they are the plod. It goes without saying. 

A mate of mine used to be one of those greenham common feminists (yeah I know). She used to go down there to demonstrate on a weekend. 

She was forever being pulled by plod on spurious grounds. 

If they want to get you, they will 

21 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well yes of course, they are the plod. It goes without saying. 

A mate of mine used to be one of those greenham common feminists (yeah I know). She used to go down there to demonstrate on a weekend. 

She was forever being pulled by plod on spurious grounds. 

If they want to get you, they will 

I can see that possibility but I always believed that in driving if you kept to the highway code you were safe from being stopped and fined for a moving motoring offence (they could still stop you for other reasons of course - 5 mph on a 70mph motorway would be some sort of care and attention offence I expect, if not reckless).   Apparently not but I expect if she'd been able to find a handy on the spot solicitor the result might have been different.  I'm not saying it's good driving.

She was doing 40mph in the outside lane - daft and lacking care and attention to say the least.

Edited by twocents

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Try it on the A1 which is two lanes for much of its length. You get these idiots pushing the lorries into the outside lane and you are going for miles at 50. 

Should be jailed imho. 

Large chunks of the M18 (and the M62/A63 from Goole eastwards) are only 2 lanes.