DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Sold my House should I be worried

M S E Refugee

M S E Refugee

I completed the sale of my House on Friday,the new owner contacted us on Saturday saying the boiler is showing an error message no hot water and the central heating doesn't work.

Everything was working perfectly fine when I left the House on Thursday,it all seems a bit weird.

As we were moving I had the boiler,gas cooker and gas fire serviced 4 weeks ago and supplied all the paperwork to my Solicitor.

Would the buyer be able to cause me any legal headaches in the future?

5 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I completed the sale of my House on Friday,the new owner contacted us on Saturday saying the boiler is showing an error message no hot water and the central heating doesn't work.

Everything was working perfectly fine when I left the House on Thursday,it all seems a bit weird.

As we were moving I had the boiler,gas cooker and gas fire serviced 4 weeks ago and supplied all the paperwork to my Solicitor.

Their problem.... 

if you have just had it serviced then they are either unlucky, have messed it up or are trying it on.  

This advice may be incorrect if you are in Scotland I think. 

M S E Refugee
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Their problem.... 

if you have just had it serviced then they are either unlucky, have messed it up or are trying it on.  

This advice may be incorrect if you are in Scotland I think. 

It seems like a huge coincidence that it has packed up within 24 hours of us selling the house.

I live in England so hopefully it will come to nothing,I am not sure what more we could do after having everything serviced.

25 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

It seems like a huge coincidence that it has packed up within 24 hours of us selling the house.

I live in England so hopefully it will come to nothing,I am not sure what more we could do after having everything serviced.

You have the paperwork from the service, nothing more you could have done. Boilers pack up all the time. My money is on them messing it up or on them trying it on.  

1 hour ago, One percent said:

You have the paperwork from the service, nothing more you could have done. Boilers pack up all the time. My money is on them messing it up or on them trying it on.  

What she said.

Refer new owners to boiler service company. You went beyond the call of duty by having the servicing done to schedule to boot within the sale period (unless you had a bloody quick sale/conveyance). Not your responsibility at all.

3 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

Don't see how as it was serviced and thing fail because they fail .... they should read the manual as it may be low gas pressure, low water pressure or any number of things, may just need a restart reset as ours does on occassion for no apparent reason. I would suggest not getting involved or you may been seen as accepting responsibilty ... it was serviced and stuff goes wrong, that's life ....

Some people do take the piss when it comes to selling and buying houses. The person who bought my old house was friendly enough but the fact they rang me 2 weeks later asking how to turn on the oven was a bit of a piss take.

Fixed (and non-fixed) appliances sold with no warranty (as seem) will be standard in the terms of conveyance.  You could look them up if you like but I'd suggest not to bother -- they're trying it on and you should do no more than email them the contact details of the guys you used to service it.

47 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Some people do take the piss when it comes to selling and buying houses. The person who bought my old house was friendly enough but the fact they rang me 2 weeks later asking how to turn on the oven was a bit of a piss take.

But, but, are they not entitled to ongoing support?  Forever 

In fairness I'd probably ring the vendor in this situation in case it's something the boiler does occasionally and there's a simple fix - every house has its own peculiarities. I wouldn't expect the vendor to fix it if it was broken though.

M S E Refugee
33 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

who gave them your contact details?

The buyer wrote us a letter a couple of months ago and asked if we wanted to sell our house so we agreed to sell it to her privately,that's how she has my wife's mobile number.

She took nearly 2 hours to view our house which made me quite wary of her so we decided to have the Gas fire,Gas Hob and the Boiler serviced and also we had the oven professionally cleaned so there could be very little comeback from her.

We haven't heard anything more from her so hopefully she has managed to sort the boiler out.

21 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

The buyer wrote us a letter a couple of months ago and asked if we wanted to sell our house so we agreed to sell it to her privately,that's how she has my wife's mobile number.

She took nearly 2 hours to view our house which made me quite wary of her so we decided to have the Gas fire,Gas Hob and the Boiler serviced and also we had the oven professionally cleaned so there could be very little comeback from her.

We haven't heard anything more from her so hopefully she has managed to sort the boiler out.

Did you offer to give her your first born too?

She sounds like the type of person that the more you do the more she asks for. I'd draw a line under it now. No good deed goes unpunished. 

M S E Refugee
3 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

This.

2 hours to view a house!? Either you live in Buckingham Palace or she's taking the piss.

You've been more than accommodating, tell her to enjoy the house and bog off.

This was her second viewing,her first viewing only took an hour.

Thankfully I was at work and my wife dealt with her,she brought her brother to the second viewing maybe that's why it took nearly two hours.

Our house was a 4 bed detached built by Persimmon,if I was viewing it I would take no more than 20 minutes.

I was one of those morons. Moved into new place and couldn't get the boiler working. Thankfully a neighbour showed me how to get it going as they had the same one, this involved switching it off and on again.

When we moved I left full written instructions on how to operate it. Saves on embarrassment.

I see your pain. I sold my house, and the boiler didn't work yesterday. I'm getting it sorted for the new owners. It's nothing compared to the price of a house.

Archived