• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Generation Game

One for the accountants - claiming tax back

Last time I claimed back tax, it was fill in a form and send it off. Seems far more complex now. 

I left the armed forces after a short stint in August 2016 and was paid PAYE for Apr-Aug.  I didn't work again during the 2016/17 tax year so they have obviously taken off too much tax as income didn't exceed my personal allowance. 

I didn't receive a P45 on departure so have no idea how much gross income and tax I paid (but I know it was more than it should have been). 

I have a phone number for the MOD which I will call tomorrow afternoon to try and get some info (p45, maybe employers PAYE ref). 

My questions are these:

Does anyone know how to claim the tax back (first impressions suggest it might be an online form via government gateway)?

Does anyone know what info I will need?

My wife was sent her tax refund last year without us having to do anything. Part of a new procedure that has been implemented along with an annual tax statement.

I would suggest you simply write to HMRC once you get your P45 from your last employer.

I've done what you need to do twice.

Both times I sent them a letter setting out all the figures, and they sent me a cheque.

If all your income has come through PAYE (mine had in both cases) then hopefully it'll be as simple for you.

Good luck.

:)

7 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I've done what you need to do twice.

Both times I sent them a letter setting out all the figures, and they sent me a cheque.

If all your income has come through PAYE (mine had in both cases) then hopefully it'll be as simple for you.

Good luck.

:)

So if I request a p45, that should be sufficient (followed by a polite letter to HMRC)?

15 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

So if I request a p45, that should be sufficient (followed by a polite letter to HMRC)?

Hopefully. As I say, that approach has worked for me. The last time was about 5 years ago, so things may have moved on, but if all your income is in PAYE then things are generally simple, as they should have all the figures from your employer (s), so all they need to do is check the maths.

You should have an On-line personal HMRC tax account. You will need to register with Government Gateway.

You can submit your figures, bank details etc and see exactly what your tax situation is....both tax and NI payments.

Any tax due will get instantly refunded to your bank account.

(Obviously it works the other way too....I owed 2K more and just paid it as the dead-line is midnight 31st January for year ending 6th April 2017)

When I fill my return in online it automatically fills in the paye'd employment, so it might be that all you need is a login.

I believe that HMRC automatically know that you deserve a refund, but that they'll try to make you pay as a discount on your tax for FY18-19 (I guess they can't automatically do this for 17-18 as they don't know about other income in that year before you 'didn't fill in a tax return').  

Anyway, other people I've known in similar situations receive a letter about their tax code in the approach to the FY boundary.