• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Getting paid to do nothing. The perfect job

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-42806214

A pub worker has been paid at least £10,000 for his "job" at Nottingham Prison - despite never working there.

The man accepted a prison officer job but did not start his training. Despite this, he has been receiving a monthly wage for more than a year.

The would-be prison officer, who works as a deputy manager for a pub chain, said: "What situation is Nottingham Prison in that they don't even know that somebody who is not working for them is still being paid?

o.O

Edited by spunko2010
fixing link

There was a story from the local hospital some years back that a security guard had been recruited to guard some particularly expensive equipment. The equipment was later moved and by that time the value of it had decreased to be negligible, or at least unexceptional. But no-one got rid of the guard. He was employed to sit on his own in an empty room for a further 8 years. he read a lot and ended up going through to the final of Mastermind. That brief window of micro celebrity was enough to get the management to look into what he did, which was nothing, and lost him his job. 

36 minutes ago, One percent said:

A pub worker has been paid at least £10,000 for his "job" at Nottingham Prison - despite never working there.

The man accepted a prison officer job but did not start his training. Despite this, he has been receiving a monthly wage for more than a year.

The would-be prison officer, who works as a deputy manager for a pub chain, said: "What situation is Nottingham Prison in that they don't even know that somebody who is not working for them is still being paid?

o.O

maybe it was just his cut of the payoff for letting drugs in etc

19 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

If he'd funnelled this into an accumulating compound interest pension-type thing for 30 years then owned up, could he have legitimately only repaid the exact money that had been paid and kept the accumulated compounded interest?

Doesn't sound like he is expected to pay any of it back so, very likely yes.

53 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Curiously no mention of being made to repay it....

Have you tried getting a public body to do something out of their (limited) routine?

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Have you tried getting a public body to do something out of their (limited) routine?

probably because it is all run on systems with people being instructed to follow a script.  Try getting any organisation to do something that deviates from this.  It is not the individual worker's fault but organisations for thinking that everything can be quantified and pre-planned for.  When it goes Pete Tong, there is no script and so no way of responding.  If the individual worker decided to work on their own initiative and to problem solved, they are as likely to be sacked as to be thanked by the organisation.  We have descended as a society into a tick box culture whereby all initiative is frowned upon.  

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

probably because it is all run on systems with people being instructed to follow a script.  Try getting any organisation to do something that deviates from this.  It is not the individual worker's fault but organisations for thinking that everything can be quantified and pre-planned for.  When it goes Pete Tong, there is no script and so no way of responding.  If the individual worker decided to work on their own initiative and to problem solved, they are as likely to be sacked as to be thanked by the organisation.  We have descended as a society into a tick box culture whereby all initiative is frowned upon.  

It does seem that most living drones work for the council or in education, though. I've plenty of experience with small companies and they seem to be staffed by people who know their arse from their elbow. Can't really say the same for my experiences with various local councils.

52 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

There are far too many tales of people who are employed at councils who go in and sit at a desk and do nothing all day and NO ONE can challenge their overpaid arses.

I "worked" for the local council in their offices one summer as a student. At lunch time, every day, we would go to the pub with the head of department and stay there for a few hours before going back to the office for half an hour and then leaving. This was the norm. My skills improved dramatically in that job - mainly in pool and darts!

Edited by The Idiocrat

To be honest, he was probably the highest perfoming PO.

By the time my cousins was doing his last 3 months in Ull, his cellmate was someone he shared a flat with ~10 years ago and 2 of the POs on the wing were his Army mates from 20 years ago.

'Getting paid to do nothing' . That describes a couple of my colleagues who spent most, if not all, of their working lives in the public sector. * :ph34r:

I wish our Mgr was tougher on these two 'men'. One of them would have been sacked by now if I was their Mgr.

* OK we aĺl work for a public sector org but I put the same effort into it as if was private. :)

7 hours ago, One percent said:

o.O

Well i know of someone that was paid for two years before anyone realiesd they were not working there ,the bloke clocked in/out every day then went home this was after a transfer from another plant ,when he turned up origonialy he was told no we are not expecting anyone it must be a mistake  

Good old Brittish Steel

When I worked in the public sector, we had one manager who upped sticks and left for scotland one month without resigning.  never came into work again.  he was paid full salary for almost a year whilst management tried to arrange a formal discussion with him.  

Sums up the bollocks of the public sector to me.

I got paid 2.5weeks pay for a job that I realised wasn’t tenable on the first day (training/new employee induction) and then a month later got a further days pay in lieu of the holiday entitlement accrued in those first few weeks. This wasn’t dishonest either as I told them I couldn’t go any further on day one. Money for nothing feels so good - must be great being on all but single person benefits.

14 minutes ago, wherebee said:

When I worked in the public sector, we had one manager who upped sticks and left for scotland one month without resigning.  never came into work again.  he was paid full salary for almost a year whilst management tried to arrange a formal discussion with him.  

Sums up the bollocks of the public sector to me.

To be fair, it's not just the public sector that is guilty of this.

I think I've told this story once before, but I'll tell it again: I worked once as an IT contractor for a well-known bank. A very big bank. The department that I joined was responsible for number-crunching the performance of the branch staff in many ways. Which is a valid task. But... our team headcount was in double digits. This is not the business analysis bit, BTW - this is purely the IT staff that crunches the numbers. The over-staffing was staggering.

The reason? The whole department was being outsourced to India 2 years in the future. The team manager had been promised an equivalent job elsewhere in the organisation - "equivalent" meaning "similar number of warm bodies to boss about". So her team had grown massively, from about 4-5 people at the start, to maybe 15 when I left. There was fuck all work to do. Eventually I left, and asked to not have to work my notice period. The awkward cow said "no, we absolutely need you to help us with the workload". So I decided for my last 2 weeks to wait for work to be given to me. And I waited. And I did absolutely nothing for my last 2 weeks. By the end I was borderline clinically depressed from the boredom.

8 hours ago, sarahbell said:

There are far too many tales of people who are employed at councils who go in and sit at a desk and do nothing all day and NO ONE can challenge their overpaid arses.

Worked at councils, can confirm. The satellite offices were the worst i.e. the ancillary services not being housed at town hall. Entire departments not in where they arrange one or two people between 'em to go in and man the phones and cover to keep the ploy going. They know they are impossible to sack and management don't care enough anyway. Complete piss take.

Being in IT I might of been the only person from the rest of the council to have visited them in months, used to shit themselves as they couldn't stop me and had carte blanche. Fun asking them where everyone was. Always fat old cows for some reason.

Edited by gibbon

1 hour ago, DeepLurker said:

To be fair, it's not just the public sector that is guilty of this.

I think I've told this story once before, but I'll tell it again: I worked once as an IT contractor for a well-known bank. A very big bank. The department that I joined was responsible for number-crunching the performance of the branch staff in many ways. Which is a valid task. But... our team headcount was in double digits. This is not the business analysis bit, BTW - this is purely the IT staff that crunches the numbers. The over-staffing was staggering.

The reason? The whole department was being outsourced to India 2 years in the future. The team manager had been promised an equivalent job elsewhere in the organisation - "equivalent" meaning "similar number of warm bodies to boss about". So her team had grown massively, from about 4-5 people at the start, to maybe 15 when I left. There was fuck all work to do. Eventually I left, and asked to not have to work my notice period. The awkward cow said "no, we absolutely need you to help us with the workload". So I decided for my last 2 weeks to wait for work to be given to me. And I waited. And I did absolutely nothing for my last 2 weeks. By the end I was borderline clinically depressed from the boredom.

Sadly most uk banks are still, technically, in the public sector.

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

Worked at councils, can confirm. The satellite offices were the worst i.e. the ancillary services not being housed at town hall. Entire departments not in where they arrange one or two people between 'em to go in and man the phones and cover to keep the ploy going. They know they are impossible to sack and management don't care enough anyway. Complete piss take.

Being in IT I might of been the only person from the rest of the council to have visited them in months, used to shit themselves as they couldn't stop me and had carte blanche. Fun asking them where everyone was. Always fat old cows for some reason.

Ive had some 2nd hand experience of LAs.

They need a max 10 yeam term, then 5 year break.

Theres no recessions, which remives ghe crap ftom the private sector.

Ghere needs to be some killing thing.