• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Towel Wars over?

Towel wars over? Thomas Cook offers sunbed booking for £22

Customers will be able to choose their preferred spot from a map giving details of sun and shade

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/29/towel-war-thomas-cook-sunbed-booking

I kind of liked the Brits v Germans sunbed wars, but it ended up as a ruck with fellow entitled brits at most hotels.

Is this another indicator of the slump in package holidays? that the tour companies are desperate to talk up? now starting to address issues that they never bothered with in the past? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

So basically if you don't lash out another £88 for  family, you can forget even the remotest chance of getting a sunbed.

Why didn't they just do the honest thing and put the holiday price up?

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

So basically if you don't lash out another £88 for  family, you can forget even the remotest chance of getting a sunbed.

That after you stump up an extra £120 for the family to sit together on the plane in "pre-booked seats"

1 minute ago, WorkingPoor said:

That after you stump up an extra £120 for the family to sit together on the plane in "pre-booked seats"

Feck that. I don't want to sit anywhere near my family on a long haul flight. 

8 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Yes, TC is exploiting "herd mentality" ie once the Herd take this pre booking of beds up then the Herd will crowd out anyone who doesn't want to play ball and pay. 

This is why I’d never go on a package holiday, not the towel wars as that’s a symptom of bigger issue... namely over-populated and paying through the nose for sun rays that aren’t exactly in short supply. They really don’t appeal to me.

20 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

This is why I’d never go on a package holiday, not the towel wars as that’s a symptom of bigger issue... namely over-populated and paying through the nose for sun rays that aren’t exactly in short supply. They really don’t appeal to me.

They can be fun for a week if you don't take things too seriously, that Benidorm sitcom captured it perfectly. 

54 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

And pay extra to take two bags as carry on

And what is the headline rate of inflation ?

1 hour ago, WorkingPoor said:

Towel wars over? Thomas Cook offers sunbed booking for £22

Customers will be able to choose their preferred spot from a map giving details of sun and shade

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/29/towel-war-thomas-cook-sunbed-booking

I kind of liked the Brits v Germans sunbed wars, but it ended up as a ruck with fellow entitled brits at most hotels.

Is this another indicator of the slump in package holidays? that the tour companies are desperate to talk up? now starting to address issues that they never bothered with in the past? 

That looks absolutely dreadful.  Still, it's a nice warning -- if it is the sort of place that requires the booking of a sunbed then be warned.

23 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

They can be fun for a week if you don't take things too seriously, that Benidorm sitcom captured it perfectly. 

I see no redeeming quality.

Package holidays (off season) were just about worth it a few years ago because you could get a cheap apartamento somewhere sunny and there wouldn't be too many Johnny Vegas types hanging around. 

However now with Air BnB I don't use them anymore, I just get a cheap flight then put up with a local family for about £10 a night. 

It's just another consequence of extreme congestion and Thomas Cook is taking advantage of that.  More congestion more rules and more money making opportunities as the quality of life remorselessly declines.

It's all supposed to benefit the economy but in fact it slows everything down and makes everything more grindingly inefficient - but at least the like of Thomas Cook can charge the earth for booking people a sunbed when in times of better quality of life there was no real need.

Computers will be great for cramming people into their allocated slots and charging them for the privilege.

Edited by twocents