• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

Old stuff you still use

Great post.

I have a lot of old, mainly family, stuff but struggle to think of any of that which I regularly use.

I have two items of furniture from the 1960s, a bureau and a wheeled coffee table, which came from my parents when they downsized and are in regular use so they just about qualify.

5 minutes ago, wherebee said:

My knob is 50 years old.  does that count>?

So long as you're using it for it's intended purpose and not just stirring your tea with it like GG and his spoon, then you're OK.

I have lots of stuff like that.  My favorite is a hatchet that my grandfather used to cut firewood and he let me help him as a kid.  He called it a chopper and I have heard the term hand ax but whatever it is I use it regularly.  I think of him every time I use it, which is a lot.  It has had a few new handles but the head is original and classic.  Another is a green wine glass from my grandfather too.  I claimed it as "mine" when I was a kid.  Still use it.  I have lots of tools with a similar story.  Nice subject. 

I still use a hand sickle that my great great great great great grandad used on the farm.  Probably 1850's.  Although the tine has just gone, so I either stick it in a display case or add some 21st century metal.

Oh, and I have a table that is 500+ years old that we still use.  

A Victorian spokeshave similar to this, which I have used occasionally.

It is stamped with the original owner's name.

The nice thing is that the Victorian cabinet maker it belonged to was my great-great grandfather.

mGvxGOGByxpgl9aNhC2H2Nw.jpg.70f450197ea3ec76f05b82d86a50b2ec.jpg

Edited by Happy Renting

17 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

A Victorian spokeshave similar to this, which I have used occasionally.

It is stamped with the original owner's name.

The nice thing is that the Victorian cabinet maker it belonged to was my great-great grandfather.

mGvxGOGByxpgl9aNhC2H2Nw.jpg.70f450197ea3ec76f05b82d86a50b2ec.jpg

I have one exactly the same.  Belonged to my grandfather.  God knows where he got it from.  I last used it to make a bunk bed for my kids which is now used by my grandkids. 

I have a selection of tools wooden handled household and garden tools from my step-grandad (hammer, spade etc), my hifi which dates from 1988, a selection of Trigger's bicycles, the oldest of which has a frame dating from some time in the 1950s, 52 I think, and of course my own Tool, which dates from 1965, which has been in use today already.

19 hours ago, Snow bird said:

I have lots of stuff like that.  My favorite is a hatchet that my grandfather used to cut firewood and he let me help him as a kid.  He called it a chopper and I have heard the term hand ax but whatever it is I use it regularly.  I think of him every time I use it, which is a lot.  It has had a few new handles

xD TRIGGER'S...

19 hours ago, Snow bird said:

but the head is original and classic.

Ah. Sorry about my premature outburst.

As you were.

20 hours ago, Great Guy said:

2. 1788 tankard.

image.jpg

Apologies if this is massively disrespectful..  but the tankard looks like it was one of your great grandad's school projects:

"And today children,  we will be brazing a handle on a baked bean tin to make a tankard"  :Jumping:

Actually..  I'll be really impressed if my kids ever come back from school having made something like that !

30 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

That doesn't count  - way too modern.

I can't volunteer my 2001 Fiat Seicento then? That's practically biblical times for a Fiat.

Serious question: how do you know nowadays if "stuff" is old? If you get a hand-me-down directly from a grandparent, and you've seen them use it for decades, then fine, it's pretty clear. But otherwise... how do you know it's old?

As an example, we've recently acquired a "Sunday best" set of tableware from my mother-in-law. It's nice, no doubt about it. However - she claims it came to her from an elderly aunt, and goes back to the late 19th century. But a cursory glance suggests to me that the manufacturing is too regular, too perfectly repeated from plate to plate. It's old fashioned, but not old-made IMO.

33 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

That doesn't count  - way too modern.

I still use a 1989 petrol station supplied casio solar calculator.

Depends really, this would be my entry. 

It's 40 years old but the difference is that it's been replaced by multiple technologies along the way, it sits next to my PC which has multiple ways of doing the same thing, as does my phone. I enjoy using it as mentioned in the original post, because of what it meant when it was released, who might have used it and what for. 

In terms of age, it's nothing compared to a 1778 tankard, but in terms of where we are now in relation to it's utility and technology it's miles behind, while the tankard is as useful as it ever was and no more or less useful than a modern version. Don't get me wrong I'd love a 1778 tankard.

IMG_0426.JPG

Edited by gilf

As an afficionado of old bikes, I have to say I find the contrast amusing and perplexing between the attitude to modern bits (everything wears out really quick, change it all regularly) and old bike nazis who go scouring cycle jumbles for knackered old 50 year old parts to put on their pride and joy.

People are fecking weird.

2 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

Serious question: how do you know nowadays if "stuff" is old? If you get a hand-me-down directly from a grandparent, and you've seen them use it for decades, then fine, it's pretty clear. But otherwise... how do you know it's old?

As an example, we've recently acquired a "Sunday best" set of tableware from my mother-in-law. It's nice, no doubt about it. However - she claims it came to her from an elderly aunt, and goes back to the late 19th century. But a cursory glance suggests to me that the manufacturing is too regular, too perfectly repeated from plate to plate. It's old fashioned, but not old-made IMO.

Reminds me of the table in a place i rented as a student. The letting agent was all big on it being a genuine antique and we'd have to pay for the slightest damage. We on the other hand noted that anyone who put a valuable antique table in a student let was at the very least a total bell end, and possibly a liar. Our position was strengthened by pointing out the label we had found attached to the underside of the table giving details of who had made it, when, and what plastic they had used to coat it with as part of the final 'varnish'.