• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

WorkingPoor

UK Driving Test Dumbing Down

So the three point turn & reversing around a corner (which required a level of skill & spatial awareness) have been dropped in favour of "how to use a sat nav" 

(i thought people were evil personified if they messed with an electronic gadget whilst driving?) 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39594852

Well it was obvious from the uk government consultation earlier in the year that making motorway driving a mandatory part of the driving test was never going to be implemented, TPTB have gone for dumbing down the test so that future debt slaves can get to the workplace.

Might even convice them that a £400k slavebox is a reasonable price to sign your life away for.

"drive into" and "reverse out of" a parking bay? what sort of skill is that going to impart? 

It is telling because if any real skill was to be part of the test then ot would be "reverse into" the parking bay. 

Still i suppose people will have to watch their cars closely in supermarket car parks now, evey tax credit subsidised driving instructor will be in there teaching these people. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

The UK driving test needs "dumbing down",  it is totally unnecessarily elaborate IMHO.

First, ditch the theory test.

Then just test whether people have a basic level of competence to be on the road and not a significant danger to themselves or others.

Everything else you can work out as you go along.  Driving like most things just takes a bit of real life practice.

It is funny.  Re the satnav bit, I immediately thought 'good idea' -- Candidates should have an understanding of not being distracted by gadgets while driving, and maybe also of not blindly following directions -- perhaps have them follow satnav, but throw in a turn up a one way street (the wrong way), a closed road or a road with an obvious recent layout change.  Oh, but they don't mean that -- they mean turning right when the satnav says turn right.  Morons.

I agree with Libby. Theory test not needed. Far too elaborate. Just need to see that you can control the vehicle competently. Then you learn when you have got your licence! Obviously no test will predict whether you are going to be one of the road's future arseholes!o.O Surely SatNav is a distraction?O.o

4 hours ago, Libspero said:

The UK driving test needs "dumbing down",  it is totally unnecessarily elaborate IMHO.

First, ditch the theory test.

Then just test whether people have a basic level of competence to be on the road and not a significant danger to themselves or others.

Everything else you can work out as you go along.  Driving like most things just takes a bit of real life practice.

I thought that the reason for such a complex test was that the learner spent lots of time being taught so learned safe driving in a controlled situation.  After all those expensive lessons you come out a careful driver.

As a contrast IIRC Egypt's test was drive forward ten yards and reverse back again.

With the British test the first time a driver hits the road unaccompanied they will already have significant experience of driving.

Any idiot can use a satnav straight out of the box; what a daft thing to be "testing". May as well test their ability to use an iPod.

I didn't understand the new part they are bringing in, about parking on the right hand side of the road, and then pulling out into traffic again. I thought you couldn't park on that side? Unless you've turned round. In which case it isn't the right side anymore!? 

I'm not too bothered about driving skills being taught or not, as others have mentioned these will be picked up with practice. What should be taught and tested is roadcraft, as this is what helps people become more considerate drivers.

You've got to remember that 50% of people, by definition, are below average intelligence. Everyone expects to be able to drive though, and being as it's the main mode of transport you can't blame them really. Equipping them with the skills to not kill other people should be primary IMO.

Frank's Egyptian driving licence impresses me!O.o

If you can drive Cairo to Alexandria, avoiding trucks going the wrong way, and donkey carts carrying more donkeys, you deserve that licence trucker Frank!

I always thought that more emphasis should have been given to parking as it is a much more important skill than the two manoeuvres they have dropped.

Even though the test is very difficult I don't see any evidence of improved standards of motoring.

The driving style of many motorists today is a reflection of todays society such as impatience,selfishness and recklessness.

3 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I always thought that more emphasis should have been given to parking as it is a much more important skill than the two manoeuvres they have dropped.

Even though the test is very difficult I don't see any evidence of improved standards of motoring.

The driving style of many motorists today is a reflection of todays society such as impatience,selfishness and recklessness.

Drive a Lexus. Everyone lets you out at junctions. No Audi shall pass!

I disagree about the theory test, it makes people read the highway code at least once. Also, the hazard perception test was really useful - probably taught me more than my driving instructor. 

I'm happy for the driving test to be difficult, it's not supposed to be easy.

It's the best we've got to mitigate thickos doing spazzy things on the road. I feel happier behind the wheel knowing that every Shazne, Darren, Lala & Po aren't sexting each other instead of performing a turn in the road. 

27 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

But imagine how much worse it would be if we gave out licences to every spaz who wanted one?

Ever seen the driving in Trinidad? - the driving test involves getting in the car, starting it and driving in a short straight line. Stop and give money to invigilator. 

6 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

When I drove a silver one that was true. But now I drive a blick one, no one does. 

That's because you are a total cunt, and everyone knows it!

Just now, Thombleached said:

But imagine how much worse it would be if we gave out licences to every spaz who wanted one?

Ever seen the driving in Trinidad? - the driving test involves getting in the car, starting it and driving in a short straight line. Stop and give money to invigilator. 

That sounds like my sort of driving licence! Bribery works!

11 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I never said that you should give a licence to any Spaz that wanted one.

Despite the test being difficult there are more Spaz's driving around than you can shake a stick at.

The driving test should consist of perfecting skills that you will need to use on a regular basis.

Edited by M S E Refugee

Where I live there's a small road which the world and his wife use to reverse into so they can go back the way they came. Trust me they all need to practice reserving round a corner. It's almost time for the council to come and repair it again.

They should give you an out of date sat nav and make you drive on new roads.

Or if they want people to be better at dealing with distractions, then strap three kids into the back.

22 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I never said that you should give a licence to any Spaz that wanted one.

Despite the test being difficult there are more Spaz's driving around than you can shake a stick at.

The driving test should consist of perfecting skills that you will need to use on a regular basis.

Sorry, thought that's what you were intimating. 

Agreed on what the test should actually do

31 minutes ago, MrPin said:

That's because you are a total cunt, and everyone knows it!

A week of working in the shit-pipes and you've come back talking like Joe Pesci

I think you'll find people don't let me out in my blick Lexus because everyone's a rascist. The 'so called' BBC told me so. 

1 minute ago, Green Devil said:

Did t they introduce a minimum number of hours of driving school instruction ie cost before taking a test was allowed?

I would actually like to see an end to the option for husbands/parents etc to give driving lessons. It's alarmed me the number of shit drivers I've known who think they're up to it.

4 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

Did t they introduce a minimum number of hours of driving school instruction ie cost before taking a test was allowed?

Not yet. My son passed last month after about 18 hours (and a lot of non instructor practice)

Just now, SNACR said:

I would actually like to see an end to the option for husbands/parents etc to give driving lessons. It's alarmed me the number of shit drivers I've known who think they're up to it.

I do agree with that. They need the instructor to teach them to pass. However, as a supervising passenger you can help them learn how to assess what every other twat that's out to get them is likely to do. Instructors don't teach that.