• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Benefit fraudsters thread

Let's kick this off with a cool quarter of a million.

A man who claimed to be paraplegic with no feeling from the neck down has admitted falsely claiming nearly £250,000 in benefits.

A court heard Brian Matthews, of Roscadghill Parc, Penzance, falsely claimed incapacity benefit, industrial injuries benefit, disability living allowance and housing benefit for 16 years using various names.

The 51-year-old appeared at Truro Crown Court where he pleaded guilty to six charges of making a false representation to claim benefit and two charges of fraud. The dates of the offences range between November 2001 to February 2016.

The court heard the overall total of claims made by Matthews was about £245,000. Jim Tilbury, representing Matthews, said some of the figures were contested but this total was broadly accurate.

“Mr Matthews maintained for a long period of time that he was paraplegic and quadriplegic and said he had no feeling from the neck down. Over a period of time, he was able to convince doctors because of the trust they consider was appropriate between a patient and the GP.

"They didn’t check and they took his word for it.”

She said the Crown had evidence that Matthews had been seen walking in Penzance, had pushed his wheelchair-bound wife into a doctor’s surgery, viewed a property with a steep flight of stairs and parked his mobility scooter a quarter of a mile from his home.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/benefit-cheat-brian-matthews-claimed-1145966

So finding a gullible mug GP and is like winning the lottery!

I'd not even heard of industrial injuries benefit so he's cleverer than me.

As a mere gullible mug taxpayer with no choice in the matter may I humbly suggest that the "wheelchair bound wife" be possibly next on the list for the investigators; given that he had "viewed a property with a steep flight of stairs" in which they would both be presumably living.

Man who claimed more than £65k in disability benefits was working as a handyman

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/man-who-claimed-more-65k-14207769

A man who claimed to have mobility problems was seen to be carrying and lifting while working - as he racked up benefits of more than £65,000 to which he wasn’t entitled.

Keith Webster had claimed a host of benefits, including housing benefit, income support, disability living allowance, and employment and support allowance, some dating back to 1997, making a total of £65,424.

Benfit-Cheat-Handyman.jpg

1 minute ago, This Time said:

Meanwhile actual ill people don't get any help. A friend's girlfriend tried to kill herself recently due to her treatment by the PIP assessors.

And there's the rub: the assessments are crap.

When assessors question an autistic person they are generally naive and eager to please and will lose chunks of their benefit with every answer they give as they exaggerate their abilities.  "Can you make a bus journey by yourself?"  "Oh yes, I can make a bus journey by myself!".  But they can't; they can get on ok but don't know when to get off or what to do when they do get off.

When however assessors question a cunning snake like the one in my OP they know exactly what to say and run rings around them.

Result: the people for whom the benefits are intended often don't get them and the scum who have no genuine entitlement to them but can pretend and play the system do get them.

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

When assessors question an autistic person they are generally naive and eager to please and will lose chunks of their benefit with every answer they give as they exaggerate their abilities.  "Can you make a bus journey by yourself?"  "Oh yes, I can make a bus journey by myself!".  But they can't; they can get on ok but don't know when to get off or what to do when they do get off.

When however assessors question a cunning snake like the one in my OP they know exactly what to say and run rings around them.

Result: the people for whom the benefits are intended often don't get them and the scum who have no genuine entitlement to them but can pretend and play the system do get them.

Plus the assessors appear to have been instructed to lie in the reports. My report plus that of the two other people I know who've been assessed recently were complete fabrications.

43 minutes ago, This Time said:

Meanwhile actual ill people don't get any help. A friend's girlfriend tried to kill herself recently due to her treatment by the PIP assessors.

Don’t think any country has ever created a system that helps those in need while preventing the chancers stealing benefits 

Our current efforts are a disgrace and every attempt to improve the system makes it worse while fraud is rampant 

The governments stats that is only fraud if they prosecute is a total sham as well 

41 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I would like to remind posters that under the Social Justice Warfare Etc Act 1997 it is a legal requirement to add to this thread the following statement: 

'The bankers are the real fraudsters.'

Thank you. 

frankly I don't really care that much about some old bloke over claiming 100 quid a week for 16 years. The whole system is corrupt.  If it collapses sooner due to abuse, that will be good.

Not a fraudster, as such. Just not really believable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-42789610

' Your name is Tony Rice. You're the sort of bloke who gets along with everyone. Always making people laugh. Ever since you left school you've been in and out of all sorts of jobs. Manual labour, mostly - builder, dustman, crane driver, painter and decorator. Hawker Siddeley, the aerospace company - you like it there, until the factory shuts. '

OK, unskilled, nothing wrong with that. The HS factory - assuming its the Hatfield one, shut in 1994 - 24 years ago. This bloke claims to be 43.

' You want to go back to work again so you go door-to-door selling Avon products. '

Thast tax credits. Not goign to fly if you are a single bloke.

' You start to notice your neck feels stiff. Your back, too. Must be from all that physical labour over the years. Plus a couple of road accidents you had when you were younger. Once a driver did a U-turn in front of you when you were on your motorbike. Your knees hit the car first then you went over the roof and landed on your head. Years ago, this was. '

Bit vague. Like a bad back. Or fubryamaglia...

' There's this bloke you get to know. Friend of a friend. You fetch his paper every morning. Sometimes he cooks for you in return. One day he invites you in for a drink. You go indoors and take a seat. There's another fella there. You accept a drink from the friend of a friend. He's been drinking already. Then he starts getting a bit loud, so you ask him to keep it down. '

This souds like youve hooked up with a load of drinkers/dossers.

' He doesn't like that. Comes over and hits you. You're still in your chair. You get up and have a pop in retaliation, then the other fella separates you. There's an unopened packet of knives in the room. You see it happening in slow motion. The friend of a friend selects a knife from the packet. You don't think he's going to use it, but then he does. He stabs you in the thigh. You try to grab the knife to defend yourself. You get cut again in your arm and around your eye. '

Chefs are they? BS story.

' You used to be really fit. Cycled all the time. Now you can't. And you love your cycling. All your muscles lock up. Every time you wake up in the morning, you're aching. '

Nope. Photo looks like someone whos sat and watched telly all their life.

' Now you get £414.33 for your rent and £317.82 for living costs. It's different from the benefits you were on before. Before, the Housing Benefit was paid direct to the council for your rent. Now, you get the housing costs and the living costs paid directly to you in one lump sum - one of the features of Universal Credit introduced by your local MP, Iain Duncan Smith. '

So thats just shy of 800/m. Any info on houch NI he's paid in 'his 43 years .''. Id guess pennies.

' Except you don't realise this - that the money is no longer going direct to the council and you need to sort it out yourself. No-one explained it to you, not in a way you understood, at least. You end up going even further into arrears with the rent. '

Can you read and write? Where did you think this windfall came from FFS?

' Because you've been assessed fit for work, you're supposed to spend 35 hours a week looking for a job. But when the DWP summon you to a jobseeker's meeting to ask what you're doing to find work, you don't get the message. No-one tells you. There's no letter - not one that reaches you, anyway. It could be that they've sent you the message electronically - but you're no good with computers. You don't have one at home and the sole time you tried to use one down the Job Centre you didn't know what half the keys did. '

No speaky Inglasi?

' So because you don't turn up to the jobseeker's meeting, you get what is called a sanction - that means they stop the £317.82 for monthly living costs. '

Busy social calendar?

' Your rent arrears are now in excess of £10,000. '

Rent - 400/m. 10k / 400 = 25 months. 1 or 2 months maybe. 6 pushing. 2 years fuck off.

' Your legal adviser is a man called Simon Mullings. He tells you how serious the situation is. He's not going to sugar-coat it for you. The council are trying to be reasonable, he says, but they have a statutory duty to recover the lost rent. If you lose this case you'll be homeless. '

Are you a child or mentally impaired? Seriously.

' "Tony has been failed by a malfunctioning system," she says. "From the moment Tony claimed Universal Credit last year, he suffered the consequences of its arbitrary rules and procedures, and so was immediately plunged into further rent arrears and other debt." '

Hold on. How has he managed to run up 10k of rent arrears in ~1 year?

18 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Amen to that.

My son is autistic (of the "scientist who goes to work in his pyjamas" variety), and we get financial help for him. Mrs DeepLurker writes the requests for assistance, and goes to the interviews. She never lies - but she always paints a very, very negative picture of the (real) difficulties that we face.

Thing is - there is a fixed budget for helping people like us. And those who cry loudest, get the most help. It's shit, but that's how the system works.

What stays under the radar even on here is the level of Pension Credit fraud.  Introduced by Brown in 2004 it is designed to top up the incomes of the most needy pensioners.  Or crafty.   £2m house, low savings you qualify.  Nice tax free income of c£1500 pcm. Rented accommodation, modest savings and meagre private pension you don't.  I dread to think how much goes abroad too.  

On a deceased estate whenever Probate is granted and the deceased was in receipt of PC the DWP automatically investigate the estate.  Often there are tens of thousands to repay.

27 minutes ago, Ina said:

What stays under the radar even on here is the level of Pension Credit fraud.  Introduced by Brown in 2004 it is designed to top up the incomes of the most needy pensioners.  Or crafty.   £2m house, low savings you qualify.  Nice tax free income of c£1500 pcm. Rented accommodation, modest savings and meagre private pension you don't.  I dread to think how much goes abroad too.  

On a deceased estate whenever Probate is granted and the deceased was in receipt of PC the DWP automatically investigate the estate.  Often there are tens of thousands to repay.

Agreed , PC should always have been a loan recoverable from the estate 

Pension credit of £1500 a month? That's about £345 a week. State pension is just shy of £160 a week for a single person.

20 hours ago, Ina said:

Yep, right in the middle of that now. Its such fun.  Every three or four weeks after I've replied they send me a standard letter asking why I haven't replied. Last month I got two letters the first one acknowledging my reply, the next one dated the next day asking why I haven't responded to their previous letter!

Such fun.

22 hours ago, spygirl said:

Not a fraudster, as such. Just not really believable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-42789610

' Your name is Tony Rice. You're the sort of bloke who gets along with everyone. Always making people laugh. Ever since you left school you've been in and out of all sorts of jobs. Manual labour, mostly - builder, dustman, crane driver, painter and decorator. Hawker Siddeley, the aerospace company - you like it there, until the factory shuts. '

OK, unskilled, nothing wrong with that. The HS factory - assuming its the Hatfield one, shut in 1994 - 24 years ago. This bloke claims to be 43.

' You want to go back to work again so you go door-to-door selling Avon products. '

Thast tax credits. Not goign to fly if you are a single bloke.

' You start to notice your neck feels stiff. Your back, too. Must be from all that physical labour over the years. Plus a couple of road accidents you had when you were younger. Once a driver did a U-turn in front of you when you were on your motorbike. Your knees hit the car first then you went over the roof and landed on your head. Years ago, this was. '

Bit vague. Like a bad back. Or fubryamaglia...

' There's this bloke you get to know. Friend of a friend. You fetch his paper every morning. Sometimes he cooks for you in return. One day he invites you in for a drink. You go indoors and take a seat. There's another fella there. You accept a drink from the friend of a friend. He's been drinking already. Then he starts getting a bit loud, so you ask him to keep it down. '

This souds like youve hooked up with a load of drinkers/dossers.

' He doesn't like that. Comes over and hits you. You're still in your chair. You get up and have a pop in retaliation, then the other fella separates you. There's an unopened packet of knives in the room. You see it happening in slow motion. The friend of a friend selects a knife from the packet. You don't think he's going to use it, but then he does. He stabs you in the thigh. You try to grab the knife to defend yourself. You get cut again in your arm and around your eye. '

Chefs are they? BS story.

' You used to be really fit. Cycled all the time. Now you can't. And you love your cycling. All your muscles lock up. Every time you wake up in the morning, you're aching. '

Nope. Photo looks like someone whos sat and watched telly all their life.

' Now you get £414.33 for your rent and £317.82 for living costs. It's different from the benefits you were on before. Before, the Housing Benefit was paid direct to the council for your rent. Now, you get the housing costs and the living costs paid directly to you in one lump sum - one of the features of Universal Credit introduced by your local MP, Iain Duncan Smith. '

So thats just shy of 800/m. Any info on houch NI he's paid in 'his 43 years .''. Id guess pennies.

' Except you don't realise this - that the money is no longer going direct to the council and you need to sort it out yourself. No-one explained it to you, not in a way you understood, at least. You end up going even further into arrears with the rent. '

Can you read and write? Where did you think this windfall came from FFS?

' Because you've been assessed fit for work, you're supposed to spend 35 hours a week looking for a job. But when the DWP summon you to a jobseeker's meeting to ask what you're doing to find work, you don't get the message. No-one tells you. There's no letter - not one that reaches you, anyway. It could be that they've sent you the message electronically - but you're no good with computers. You don't have one at home and the sole time you tried to use one down the Job Centre you didn't know what half the keys did. '

No speaky Inglasi?

' So because you don't turn up to the jobseeker's meeting, you get what is called a sanction - that means they stop the £317.82 for monthly living costs. '

Busy social calendar?

' Your rent arrears are now in excess of £10,000. '

Rent - 400/m. 10k / 400 = 25 months. 1 or 2 months maybe. 6 pushing. 2 years fuck off.

' Your legal adviser is a man called Simon Mullings. He tells you how serious the situation is. He's not going to sugar-coat it for you. The council are trying to be reasonable, he says, but they have a statutory duty to recover the lost rent. If you lose this case you'll be homeless. '

Are you a child or mentally impaired? Seriously.

' "Tony has been failed by a malfunctioning system," she says. "From the moment Tony claimed Universal Credit last year, he suffered the consequences of its arbitrary rules and procedures, and so was immediately plunged into further rent arrears and other debt." '

Hold on. How has he managed to run up 10k of rent arrears in ~1 year?

The hawker sidley factory will have been the one on Fulborne road, Walthamstow.

Now flats sadly 

D23D8794-9769-4CAF-912B-BC0DC46E23A0.jpeg

7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

When did it shut?

1930s onwards on this page gives a bit of history. An interesting link to a local photographer who took pictures just befor it was refurbished for flats

http://www.e17woodstreet.co.uk/history

shut in around 2003 I think.

the level of manufacturing in this part of London was substantial. 

This is interesting 

http://www.walthamstowmemories.net/pdfs/Bill Bayliss - Xylonite.pdf

Haylex factory.  Apparently made the cockpit ‘glass’ for spitfires in the war.

now a Tesco o.O