• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Fake treasure trove: Bloody BBC again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-42887063

Two men who thought they had unearthed a stash of Roman gold coins had their dreams dashed when they discovered the coins were a prop for a TV sitcom.

Andy Sampson and Paul Adams had been metal detecting in a field on the Suffolk/Essex border when they found more than 50 "gold" coins with pottery.

Mr Sampson said his friend started "shouting and jumping around and dancing" after he found the "treasure".

However, it emerged the fake coins were a prop for the So-Called BBC show Detectorists.

The pair made some inquiries and found out the farm was being used as a filming location during the summer for BBC Four comedy Detectorists, which stars Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones.

It emerged the production crew had filmed a tractor pulling a plough through the ground, unearthing the coins as it went.

However, Mr Sampson said, "it had buried some as well", and they were the ones they found.

Fishy story?

Presumably they would have had to ask the farmer for permission, and to make an agreement with him/her about any finds, and the farmer never said "Oh, by the way, the BBBC were filming a comedy here recently about treasure hunters.".

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Fishy story?

Presumably they would have had to ask the farmer for permission, and to make an agreement with him/her about any finds, and the farmer never said "Oh, by the way, the BBBC were filming a comedy here recently about treasure hunters.".

Yeah, but the farmer's this mad guy with invisible dogs who only cares that people don't dig in the field where he buried his wife after murdering her.

However, he took the find back home and showed it to his neighbour, who was less enthusiastic about it.

Mr Sampson said his neighbour picked up the coins and immediately said "they're not real - there's something wrong with them".

As worthless the neighbour kept them for "safekeeping"?