• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Headphones recommendations

Ok, so I’m clueless here. 

Im looking for some new headphones. I used to love the cheapo Sony in ear ones I had, perfect fit.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-ED21LP-headphones-discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B00009NK3L

sadly they don’t make these anymore even though there appears to be a call to bring them back. 

I have tried ones that look similar.  No others, including the round cone shaped, the Apple ones etc feel comfortable. 

Im thinking of going for over ear ones but a) they seems to be prohibitively expensive and b) I don’t want to look like an escapee from a recording studio.  

The beats ones seem to be popular with the young but stupidly expensive. I also think it would be style over substance. 

Last question, wireless or wired. 

Cheers. :)

There were days when, if you'd walked around with over-ear headphones, you'd have been thought of as a bit of a nerd. However that seems to have gone now. I see plenty of people wearing them.

In tests I've seen, people can readily tell the difference between wired and Bluetooth, less so wired and wireless.

Only the over-ear ones deliver good bass response. It's worth seeing if you can try them on, though, to see if you can "get used to them" and if they are comfortable. And if you mostly listen to spoken word e.g. Audible you probably don't need much bass response.

What Hi-Fi may be worth a look and give you some ideas for various budget levels.

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/headphones/best-headphones

I don't generally see the Beats ones at the top of reviews.

Sennheiser and AKG make some good models and have been going for years.

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

Only the over-ear ones deliver good bass response. It's worth seeing if you can try them on, though, to see if you can "get used to them" and if they are comfortable. And if you mostly listen to spoken word e.g. Audible you probably don't need much bass response.

I got these as an Xmas present... Very good bass for in-ear.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COWIN-HE1-Headphones-Comfort-Fit-Compatibilty/dp/B01N9M23DX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517743958&sr=8-1&keywords=cowin+he1

14 minutes ago, DTMark said:

There were days when, if you'd walked around with over-ear headphones, you'd have been thought of as a bit of a nerd. However that seems to have gone now. I see plenty of people wearing them.

In tests I've seen, people can readily tell the difference between wired and Bluetooth, less so wired and wireless.

What Hi-Fi may be worth a look and give you some ideas for various budget levels.

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/headphones/best-headphones

I don't generally see the Beats ones at the top of reviews.

Sennheiser and AKG make some good models and have been going for years.

Cheers Mark. Audio books and films on the go mainly. I might listen to some music but my ears are nowhere as well trained as yours so the quality for music isn’t that important. Clarity of the spoken word far more so.  

Just now, One percent said:

Cheers Mark. Audio books and films on the go mainly. I might listen to some music but my ears are nowhere as well trained as yours so the quality for music isn’t that important. Clarity of the spoken word far more so.  

Another consideration is "on the go" - over-ear headphones are very good at drowning out absolutely everything around you.

If you're out jogging or in public places, that may not be such a brilliant idea.

Headphones are one of those things that used to be reasonably simple and inexpensive that have now been arms-raced into a bewildering battleground of dubious choices.

It's only two speakers on a bit of plastic FFS. 

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Another consideration is "on the go" - over-ear headphones are very good at drowning out absolutely everything around you.

If you're out jogging or in public places, that may not be such a brilliant idea.

Cheers, on the tube with them so need ones that don’t leak sound and block out external noise. I’m not planning on walking the streets in them so awareness isn’t that much of an issue. 

Just now, eight said:

Headphones are one of those things that used to be reasonably simple and inexpensive that have now been arms-raced into a bewildering battleground of dubious choices.

It's only two speakers on a bit of plastic FFS. 

Quite. And have you seen the price?  The last one on mark’ Link is eye watering. Can they be that much better?  

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Quite. And have you seen the price?  The last one on mark’ Link is eye watering. Can they be that much better?  

With hi-fi as with many other things, the expression "the law of diminishing returns" seems relevant,

For years the best cheap 'over ear' headphones have been Sennheiser HD201 (and more recently hd202, 204, 206).  They cost about £20, are comfortable and have excellent sound.   The only downside might be that they're a bit flimsy (my pairs have lasted years, but the one I got for my son only lasted 6 months).

But recently Superlux (a Taiwanese brand) has come out with some excellent headphones.  The 688B and 681 are the ones people go gaga over.  The 688B (I've got) is a 'warm' sound which I prefer, while the 681 is more clinical (so, you might say 688 for jazz rock etc, 681 for classical, but it is a personal thing).  They're more substantial than the HD201s.  iMO they're excellent for about £30.  I know they're branded by 'prosumer' production stuff for more money (I'm pretty sure Focusrite headphones are branded Superlux).

I'm not so up on in-ear, but the music pros I know use Etymotics.  They're a bit more expensive, though.

Edited by dgul

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Cheers, on the tube with them so need ones that don’t leak sound and block out external noise. I’m not planning on walking the streets in them so awareness isn’t that much of an issue. 

As far as I can tell the 'ear bud' style of phone has fallen out of favour now, because the 'canalphone' style that poke down your earholes have such clear advantages in terms of sound quality and isolation. Sennheiser used to make some fairly expensive ones which you might find going cheap on ebay now. I have a pair of Soundmagic E10s which are great despite the fact that one of my ear canals is twice the size of the other, so I would recommend trying to persevere with them if you can. You can buy replacement silicone rubber plugs for them if you don't get on with the ones supplied. Or, as dgul says, a pair of closed back over ear phones like the Senny HD201s would be a good starting point for over ears.

Price wise, yes some are eye watering, but it's worth remembering that the transducers are by far the weakest link in the reproduction chain when it comes to introducing distortions. A pair of £40 headphones should be a hell of a lot better than £10 ones, just as a £400 pair of hi-fi speakers will be loads better than £100 ones. The law of diminishing returns sets in from there, though.

Cheers all, very helpful guidance. 

I’ve narrowed it down to requirements. 

• Needs to be Bluetooth (nothing worse than fighting with cables in rush hour)
  • over ear as these seem to be the most comfortable and better at blocking out noise (accept here I’ll look like a complete idiot)
  • fancy noise cancelling (apparently the Vicky line is earbustingly noisy). 

Have found some bose ones that fit the bill but way out of my price range. 

The search continues 

2 minutes ago, twocents said:

The pound shops do £1 sets.  In quality terms generally speaking you get what you pay for of course.

👍 ta, out of reps. 

I use a Jabra Clipper Bluetooth receiver- brilliant little things, come with in ear headphones but you can plug any 3.5mm head/earphones in. Battery charges with a normal USB charger (one included) and lasts 6-8hrs, longer if you're not playing tunes the whole time. Play, pause, skip track fwd/backward, microphone for calls, tiny and excellent build quality.

I have some £10 Sony in ear phones now but if I had more money I would buy another set of RHA's- the best earphones I've ever had, 3 year (no quibble) guarantee too! Made from metal and shaped like little trumpets, amazing build quality and sound.

I think in ear phones are the best- they block sound coming in, or leaving the earphones, and excellent bass if you put them right into your ears. Also, they are really small and don't make you look like you are a Morse code operator.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/260-5418580-0174919?k=jabra+clipper

https://www.rha-audio.com/uk

Not :

radio_operator.jpg

6 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I use a Jabra Clipper Bluetooth receiver- brilliant little things, come with in ear headphones but you can plug any 3.5mm head/earphones in. Battery charges with a normal USB charger (one included) and lasts 6-8hrs, longer if you're not playing tunes the whole time. Play, pause, skip track fwd/backward, microphone for calls, tiny and excellent build quality.

I have some £10 Sony in ear phones now but if I had more money I would buy another set of RHA's- the best earphones I've ever had, 3 year (no quibble) guarantee too! Made from metal and shaped like little trumpets, amazing build quality and sound.

I think in ear phones are the best- they block sound coming in, or leaving the earphones, and excellent bass if you put them right into your ears. Also, they are really small and don't make you look like you are a Morse code operator.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/260-5418580-0174919?k=jabra+clipper

https://www.rha-audio.com/uk

Not :

radio_operator.jpg

Cheers Carl.  Just can’t get on with in ear headphones, other than the Sony ones in my op.  Can’t buy these anymore. 

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Cheers Carl.  Just can’t get on with in ear headphones, other than the Sony ones in my op.  Can’t buy these anymore. 

If you want bluetooth then I'd have a look at Bluetooth receivers though, rather than Bluetooth headphones.

My daughter can't handle in ear headphones either, shame as I think they are the best. I can adjust how deep mine are in my ears to increase of decrease the amount of bass I hear, they're tiny, and don't fall out/off.

The ones in your OP look like in ear ones but are a funny shape, shame they have stopped making them.

RHA make in ear, on ear, clippy things and Morse code things. Excellent design and quality, that three year guarantee too!!

I use these ones which I think are similar to the ones that 1% mentioned in her OP.

https://www.uk-mobilestore.co.uk/official-blackberry-premium-stereo-headset-black-hdw-49299-001.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA-9rTBRBNEiwAt0Znwx89hIRpwkjBhLwS9P66nBHavs2m2WBC-w8t46dVSTJ4jUJwpct2ChoCbIAQAvD_BwE

genuine-blackberry-headphones-hdw-49299-

Several times I've thought I've removed them only to find hours later that the rubber cover is still in my ear.

13 minutes ago, eight said:

I use these ones which I think are similar to the ones that 1% mentioned in her OP.

https://www.uk-mobilestore.co.uk/official-blackberry-premium-stereo-headset-black-hdw-49299-001.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA-9rTBRBNEiwAt0Znwx89hIRpwkjBhLwS9P66nBHavs2m2WBC-w8t46dVSTJ4jUJwpct2ChoCbIAQAvD_BwE

genuine-blackberry-headphones-hdw-49299-

Several times I've thought I've removed them only to find hours later that the rubber cover is still in my ear.

Ta, they look more like it.  Shaped to fit the ear, rather than those pluggy things that are painful and fall out 

5 hours ago, One percent said:

Cheers all, very helpful guidance. 

I’ve narrowed it down to requirements. 

• Needs to be Bluetooth (nothing worse than fighting with cables in rush hour)
  • over ear as these seem to be the most comfortable and better at blocking out noise (accept here I’ll look like a complete idiot)
  • fancy noise cancelling (apparently the Vicky line is earbustingly noisy). 

Have found some bose ones that fit the bill but way out of my price range. 

The search continues 

👍 ta, out of reps. 

I had some of these till the kids broke them. Pretty good.

Bluedio T2S (Turbine 2 Shooting Brake) Bluetooth stereo headphones wireless headphones Bluetooth 4.1 headset on the Ear headphones Gift Package (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q2VIW9M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SM1DAbDMDZZRV

2 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I had some of these till the kids broke them. Pretty good.

Bluedio T2S (Turbine 2 Shooting Brake) Bluetooth stereo headphones wireless headphones Bluetooth 4.1 headset on the Ear headphones Gift Package (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Q2VIW9M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SM1DAbDMDZZRV

Cheers, they look to be comfy and the right price.